Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Difference between a YZF1000 and an R1?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by listek, Nov 21, 2009.

1. I have a mate who races a future racer, it's a catagory similar to Aussie Racing Cars except that they run a YZF1000 motor and have a much more sophisticated chassis setup. It's also a lot cheaper to run a future racer.

Anyway he's after a spare race motor but can't seem to find any anywhere so asked me whether an R1 is similar. I think from memory they are a different motor completely to a YZF1000 and don't really share any parts even though the original R1's also came with carbs.

Can anyone elighten me with their knowlege. And if anyone knows where they can lay their mitts on a YZF1000 motor I'd be eternally grateful.

2. Yep, totally different. Ask around amongst the Post-Classic and Forgotten Era racers. The YZF is still fairly popular there. Oh, and the R1 was also known as the "YZF" in its first iteration, from memory.
  3. I think the R1 is still known as the YZF-R1.

As to differences between them, engine wise, from Wikipedia:

4. chalk and cheese.
  5. That was the thunderace right?
  6. Correct. The 1000 was the Thunderace and the 600cc version was the Thundercat.