Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Diesel 12c a litre cheaper the ULP. Since when?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Ive been noticing recently the reducing price difference between ULP and diesel fuel. In the last few weeks I have commonly noted them being sold at the same price. Today however, petrol has taken up jump up to ~135c/l and diesel in the 120's. At one place I noted a 12 cent difference, 137 for petrol, 125 for diesel. It makes those camel-like turbo diesels look increasingly attractive.

On the subject of fuel, BP at sutherland had about 134 advertised but 119 on the bowser. They might have picked up the error by now, but worth a try.
  2. Makes sense. Diesel is, after all, much easier to refine than petrol (although modern diesel fuels may be a little more complex than they used to be), a fact that is/was reflected in pricing in most of the rest of the world.
  3. In regards to the price discrepency between board and bowser you managed to fill up while they were in the process of changing it - they can advertise it at the higher price and charge you the lower, just not the other way around.
  4. I know how it works jester. But i dont think it was while they were changing it, generally prices had been the same all day, this was in the arvo that I filled up. Also, the person was in no hurry to change it.
  5. It reminds me of what happened to my brother a little while back. He pulls into a servo with a practically empty 265Hemi Charger, as he's filling he notices something strange, something that he thought he would never see, a full tank of petrol set him back a whole $14. I can't remember how much it was per litre but this was easy within 6 months. And for those not too familiar with the charger, it's a 40 year old car that drinks 40L of petrol just warming up, so it has a really big tank to fill.
  6. Diesel is cheaper to make, but hasn't been in such demand as petrol for a while, so the lower quantity means a higher price.

As diesel grows in popularity, it's market increases and thus the buying power for diesel increases, so it comes at a better price.

But we're still paying more than the Singapore fluctuation and oil companies are c***s, so whatever.
  7. I don't give a damn what the price of petrol is, with 4 l/100km fuel consumption the price could hit $2 /litre and I'd still fill up my tank on the most expensive day of the week.

Chew on that, falcodoore drivers! :LOL:
  8. I've also noticed diesel doesn't seem to go through the same weekly fluctuations that petrol does.
  9. Businesses don't get paid on wednesday/thursday like most people do. They can afford to fill up when they need to, not when they get paid.
  10. Yes, interesting isn't it, how the peak of the petrol price cycle just happens to coincide with (a) payday and (b) when folk tend to fill their tanks in preparation for a weekend trip.

I'm sure it is just coincidence though.
  11. It's also interesting that some petrol stations close a third or half of their bowsers during low prices.

Doesn't diesel have a high tax on it as well?
  12. Friend of mine works at caltex refinery. Apparently during the latter half of the cycle, they sell at a loss.
  13. I had noticed the same sort of pricing up here, but thought that maybe something had happened with the pricing/taxes on it.

Been like that for weeks...
  14. When I fill the truck, the price at the pump is around $1.25 / ltr at the moment for diesel , if you take into account, the rebates and GST, I end up paying about $0.98 / ltr.
    I can then also get another 8c / ltr off if buying at a woolworths outlet.