Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Didn't use the slip lane

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by GoTeam, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Yes they are useless

2. No they aren't

0 vote(s)
  1. I was four corners from getting home and I had to turn across two lanes of Burwood Highway to get into a side street. There was a newish Jetta coming the other way with their left indicator on. If I'd have hurried then I would have turned in without drama. However, I didn't.

I stopped and waited to see if he was likely to miss the street I was turning into and head for the alternate McD's entrance a little past the street. He was slowing down too much to not be turning so I started moving. There was a slip lane that he should have been turning into. That would have left him having to give way to me. To my surprise, he didn't turn into the slip lane. That left me exposed since I'd made a move and a collision was possible so I decided to stop because the next nearest vehicle that could have mowed me down was about 150m away. The driver of the Jetta was mouthing off at me as he was going around the corner. He obviously didn't realise that the slip lane was there for him to use. The collision was avoided and I was in the wrong because he didn't follow the path he should have. At least I got home safely and it wasn't even a close call but could easily have been.
  2. You turned right across in front of someone assuming that he was going to turn left and give way to you, just because he was slowing down and had his indicator on?! :shock:

To top it off, your bailout strategy relied on other vehicles seeing you and avoiding you. :roll:

I'm sorry, but if you keep doing that on a motorcycle, you are not long for this world. Remember, you are invisible to all other traffic.

PS: You would be better off finding a way home that didn't require you to turn right across two lanes of Burwood Highway every day without the aid of a set of traffic lights. If not, one day you will be tired, and will make a bad mistake, or someone coming up behind you will. You just have to see the number of rear enders cars are involved in when doing such a turn to know it is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a motorcycle. Especially in Winter.
  3. Just a point to note, I was never in his lane at any time. He would have had to have changed into the right lane to hit me. Despite that it was a bad move on my part and I should have sat still and waited for him to turn. Let's just say I won't do that again.

I was turning from a dedicated right turn lane and. Would I not have roughly the same chance of getting rear ended at a right turn lane at the lights or is your point that my chances are better where there are signals?

I usually have two options - turn across two lanes of Ferntree Gully Rd (my normal route) or two lanes of Burwood Highway (only occasionally). Either way, I have to negotiate two lanes in one hit.

I think it comes down to this: I was needlessly semi-rushing where there was no need and it wouldn't have made any difference to my day to wait. I ended up waiting in the end anyway but exposed myself to more risk than I should have by being stationary in the right hand lane of oncoming traffic rather than the right turn lane.
  4. But from your description there was other oncoming traffic in the right lane, 150m away, right?

You didn't mention the dedicated right turn lane in your first post. You should be just as safe there as at traffic lights, unless it is a really dark road, or traffic needs to make a specific effort to avoid that lane, as is sometimes the case on narrow roads.

If there wasn't a dedicated right turn lane, I would be seeking to "do a blocky" and approach that corner from the other way, so that I could turn left into the street I needed. As there is a right turn lane, it isn't an issue.

Just remain vigilant for risks on the road, and avoid them. Especially those where you know there is a risk in taking a particular action, but do it anyway, which is what I think happened in this case.

You have learnt your lesson and survived. All is good in the world. :grin:
  5. So what's with the poll??? It makes no sense :?

Dude you really need to re-evaluate the way you view traffic when you ride. Rod's right, you're not long for this world if you keep riding like that.

NEVER assume someone is going to do anything sensible on the road EVER. Always think that they will pull out in front of you and always think that they haven't seen you.

*edit - poll changed to something understandable and relevant*
  6. This is the junction.

The car driver did nothing wrong. You are allowed to turn left from Burwood Highway and there are good reasons to do so (if you turn left at the slip, you might get delayed by slip traffic and then have to give way at the end to traffic turning from Burwood Highway).

At least you are honest about where the fault lies, a huge thing to do. But seriously, the car driver was 100% blameless and doing the same sort of thing that I'd do.
  7. Glad to hear a possible collision was avoided ( albeit by sheer luck ).
    We all make these mistakes at one time or another, usually from either inexperience, lack of concentration, or just bad judgment.
    ALWAYS assume the worst mate, one can never really predict the actions of other drivers. Yes, you were in the wrong, BUT if you learned something from it without getting injured, then it's something else to put into your bag of experience.

Take care out there.
  8. I think the lesson here is never ever move until you see the other vehicle commit to the turn (i.e. start to turn in) that you think they are making. This applies at t-intersections you are turning out of, roundabouts with traffic in them, or any situation where if the vehicle continues straight you are going to get killed.

Also, don't ever dawdle when on a motorbike. You don't have a crash cage, seatbelt, ABS and airbags to provide you with the level of security necessary for dawdling. Commit to every turn and execute it quickly and cleanly. I've found I've had a lot less near misses on the ZZR when I haven't been in a location long enough for a risk to materialise.
  9. Dougz, the poll was one for a poll's sake - nothing in it. You and Rod are right in that if I take needless stupid risks then I won't be around for long.

Cejay, yes that was the junction. Again, it was poor form by me and reinforced in the memory bank of what not to do.

Speed Demon's two paragraphs sum it up.

Today was my usual form - kept an eye out for who could knock me off, stayed out of potential harms way with them and made it safely to work. It'll be time to do it again in 1.5 hours time.