Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Did your helmet Pass ?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Takamii, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Couldn't find mine in there...

What happens if a model fails the random test?
  2. Interesting to note that a brand-name open face such as the Nolan N30 rates a pass, yet some full-face helmets do not.
    Adds a whole other dimension to the full-face vs open debate.

Edit: Also good to note that my helmet did pass.
  3. I don't think the DOT test includes a chin bar test...
  4. .... that's a US listing though, don't Australian helmets have to pass a different standard?
  5. So as long as a helmet protects your chin it doesn't matter if it offers less protection against serious brain injury or death?
  6. WOW - JIXIANG failed two tests - lol - wont be getting one of those ;)
  7. That's not what I said, I said the there's no chin bar test in the DOT standard so open v full face is academic to the process...
  8. this is the results from Random testing done by the Department of Transport in USA

They buy the helmets of the shelf at a retail outlet ( incognito ) and test them

In the USA the DOT standard is applied once the test is done and the helmet passes

there is no continued batch testing like with the AS1698 standard ( for example I have to retest and re certify my helmets after every 500 imported)
    so in 2008 in those reports we have some big names such as AGV and KBC failing on performance
  9. But it's not academic to the consumer, not if someone's buying a cheap full-face on the assumption it's inherently safer than any open face.
  10. I know you're trying to Prove a point why not just come out with it ?
  11. Good to see that in 2007 the KBC-VR2 passed without issue..

I'll live to see another helmet
  12. I thought I already had. The data in these reports seems to indicate that how effective a helmet is in preventing serious trauma is affected by more important things than the style of helmet (or brand).

It may also show spending more may not mean better protection, but I can't be bothered sourcing prices for comparison.
  13. Hey JD - you should add a jousting stick to your velociraptor
  14. So is it correct to say that these helmets that failed - a lot to do with 'P' = Performance rather than 'L' = labeling - were offered for sale, DOT went and purchased them 'incognito' in stores, tested them (is it just one they test?), and they failed.

That must mean that there's an awful lot of helmets out there that are bought by the bog-standard consumer that would fail on performance testing.

At first glance it sounds like the best argument I have heard for keeping our own Australian standard for helmet testing? At least it sounds like batches are tested before they hit the shelves...
  15. As are ECE spec helmets... These are DOT...

16. yes you are correct - also with our own standard the certifying body goes into the factory and randomly chooses the helmets to be retested

ECE also does batch testing

we generally test 8 helmets every 500

ECE generally test 60 helmets every 6000
  17. Yeah but if he had a jousting stick he'd also need a shield, and then he'd have no arms left to steer. You have to think logically about these things ;).

Now an octopus on a motorcycle, that would be different. :)
  18. ahhh but the sheild is held not by the hand but rather strapped to the forearm
  19. Neck's still pretty vulnerable though, would need armour too.