Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Did you ever NOT do something new....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Jan 24, 2012.

1. .. because you were afraid it'd spoil what you already had?

For nearly 7 years now I have been consistently exhilarated by my little blue Hornet. In that time I've never ridden one other bike, for lots of reasons. Obviously most people don't like someone else riding their bikes. And that's fine with me, cos I don't lend mine to anyone else either. So I haven't asked if I can ride someone else's bike, and the opportunity hasn't come up either.

As well, however, I would have avoided it anyway, because I always had the sneaking suspicion that having ridden something bigger/newer/faster etc, I'd be disappointed with what I have already.

This year, however, we have committed to replacing the Hornet, high mileage, etc etc.

I mentioned this to one of my local rider friends, and that after reading BIKE Magazine's constant barrage of praise for the Honda Fireblade in all its variations, I thought I might look at one as the replacement.

He replied that he was riding his road/trail bike to work at the moment and that if I liked I could borrow his 954 model for a couple of weeks!!!

For the last 5 days I have been out riding, culminating yesterday with a round trip from home to the Grey Gum Cafe and back. I left home 30kms south of Wollongong at around 5:00am and was back home at 11:30 including breakfast at the Grey Gum. I've never had so much fun on a motorcycle in all my life :LOL:

I've found out all that I wanted to, and the bike is safely locked up in my garage. And what I expected has happened.

I rode the Hornet for the first time today, and for the first time I was underwhelmed. It's just as capable as ever, but I'm being realistic; I'm disappointed but as soon as I can I want to make the move to the bigger bike.

End of blather, thanks for listening :).

• Like Like x 7
  2. Wow glad you liked the fireblade! I'm guessing it wasn't as uncomfortable as the sports bike demonisers would have you believe?

I had the chance to ride the latest blade on Sunday.
  3. Does your friend know you are giving his odometer a beating? And will this require a change of forum name? :)

Tappin' not talkin'
  4. That's how it goes - I was always happy on my 200cc scoot till I had a go on a bike - Then I was more than happy on my Breva 750 till I was around the Aprilia showroom and offered a test ride on a Shiver that I had no intention of buying but thought it would just be a fun thing to do for half an hour. Now I own that - I think you went about it the right way. If you don't really know what you are missing out on, your current ride can still offer years of fun filled riding.
  5. Must say, my move from my first bike was 'I need a heavier bike' vtr250 - cb600fi , hmmm heavier bike? 4 weeks an I sold it, too quick for lack of riding skills. the trap is definatley there!! Am on a hornet myself, read on the fireblade, same [detuned] motor as hornet, riding position on the blade vary more then the hornet (enough to give you a sore back) ??
    Nice upgrade I believe!!
  6. I rode a friends 2007 CBR1000 for a few weeks at christmas time. So much smoother than my CBR929 and does everything better... but I still like the 929 more for every day use. (so did he for that matter)

I've always had a hankering for touring bikes though... I suspect if I ever rode a Triumph Tiger 1050 or a BMW R1200gs then I might start having internal conflict. ;)
  7. I went from my late model cb400 to my new 06' vtr1000f & after that the 400 felt like a scooter!

Here's a way to think about it Hornet, If there's a bike out there which allows to further enjoy the love of riding you already have, why cheat yourself? :D

If your not chasing the latest & greatest there are a lot of brilliant bikes out there which for what you get are great bang for buck.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I loved my first bike, a Virago 250. I didn't think I would ever part with it and the idea of upgrading when the time came was just plain scary. I was happy with how it handled and thought it was pretty powerful! :) My hubby bought me a Virago 1100 and after the first few initial rides, I couldnt imagine going back to the 250. The bigger bike was much more stable and all I had to do was touch the throttle and she just roared into action :). I liked that very much :)
  9. +10000 to that :)
  10. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO why did you make this thread! I have nearly two years left on my restrictions... :( That said my LAMS bike is fantastic and the next bike I ride will have to be pretty dam brilliant to beat the GS. Just wish the thing had a bit more go when I take a pillion
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I kind of know what you mean Hornet. I was like that when I had my GSX600F.

But since buying the Bandit, nearly 10 years ago, I've ridden as many different bikes as I can (it's helped that for a few years my wife worked in a bike shop).

Strangely I have ridden lots of bikes I'd like to own AS WELL AS the Bandit, and I've ridden a few I'd buy if the Bandit died, but I'm yet to ride one that has made me seriously consider selling the it.

Some one told me years ago "Don't let fear stop you".
  12. I knocked back a bit of strange last weekend.
    Laughed my head off at the time.
    Horny and alone now and spewing I did lol. Oh well I will just do it myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There's no doubt UDLOSE that the riding position was a bit of a challenge to begin with. In fact, as I pulled out of the driveway the first time and felt for the footpegs, I thought I'd end up with my feet in my back pockets!! But it's amazing how easily I got used to it, and how NATURAL the position feels out on the open road (not quite so much in traffic). So much so that it felt utterly UNnatural when I hopped back on the Hornet.

I've no doubt that I'll 'reconnect' with the Hornet in the time between now and when I replace it, but I'm very grateful to my friend for giving me the opportunity to make a really informed decision.

929s start from around $4700 on bikesales with around 60-odd thousand on the clock, so now we know how many pennies we have to save up.
  14. Paul they are super capable machines and the riding position is pretty comfortable compared to 03/04+ sporties which are typically have ~2" lower bars with the changing trend towards less road focused bikes. They are solid as a rock, unbelievably planted at 200kmh+

The 954 is the pinnacle but I bought a 929 as I found a great deal. My advice is to find one with a custom map made as they are notorious for having a strange gap/surge around 3000rpm when the HTEV valves partially open. I did several 1000+km days on it (although with an airhawk) and the main discomfort is on the neck from the forward position. I'd suggest bar risers if you can find them.

Alternatively check out the h9 if you haven't already, it runs a detuned 919 blade engine.

One of the reasons I sold mine was I found the bike a bit too capable for real world riding, i.e. 'just cruising' is twice any given speed limit, and its a little boring just putting around as the engine just wants to go.
  15. oh yeah, I can see that being a problem; I was very conscious that 5000 rpm in top on the Hornet is a lot different to 5000 rpm in top on the 929 :LOL:. That said, I hardly do any 'riding round town'; I live at the base of the Macquarie Pass and ride it two days per week, and there's a 100kph freeway to Kiama half a kilometre from my front gate.

I thought bar risers straight away, and might still do so, but the trip up the Putty was to assess comfort over a longish trip, and apart from a slight stiffness in my neck, my hands and shoulders were fine, both the same day and the next days. I'm lucky in that I don't have arthritis or any incipient old injuries that limit mobility or movement, but if I can locate a set of Helibars for a decent price I'll probably do that.

And I'll definitely be talking to Metzi about a custom seat :LOL:.

As far as the engine mapping is concerned, I don't know the status of the bike I rode, but it has been used extensively for track days, (huge steering damper,great tyres, etc etc) and I didn't notice any fueling issues, so it may well have been tweaked fairly well already. But I will watch for it.

I appreciate your (and other's) advice :).
  16. That "slight stiffness of the neck" is more than likely to disappear the more you ride the blade. I reckon it's just your body attempting to gain the same vision you have on the hornet. That said, the helibars would make life a bit easier for one of our more senior riders :bolt:

If you're finding the blade a bit uncomfortable, give it some time for your arse to become accustomed to it. I had the same problem with the daytona after the GS (although I am still considering the gel seat option).
  17. I don't doubt that but just curious - how so? I had a TT600 before my 929 (which I have now) and it's stupid fast but not necessarily "hold on for dear life" fast like the Gixxer-1000 or R1 of that era. I look at the later year R1's and Blades and drool but I'm quite curious how much faster/better handling they could possibly be.
  18. i tried my friends 1098s, my dream bike, dono what it was i just could not get along with it. nothing felt right, it was completely not whta i was expecting. i now lust for the ducati a little less now, but deep inside i still maintain it was me and not the bike's fault....
  19. Was the stiffness in the neck the riding position. Or more wind resistance from going quicker. More than likely a combination of both.
    Sometimes I wont do a track day for two months. And yeah my neck is the only thing that really gives me grief the next day. And I have a broken back.
    I ride sporties daily. So thinking it's that extra little bit of pressure that I am not use too.
  20. I'm sure the stiffness was jut riding position; I actually found it less of a problem at higher speed than at lower speed. I think it also has a bit to do with the size and profile of the vision aperture on my helmet. If (when) I get a Fireblade of my own I might try a different helmet as well.

Also over the whole few days of riding I did no more than 800 kms, and about 450 in the one trip, so I didn't get very long to acclimatise to the radical difference in riding position. I reckon a few weeks of ownership will have my neck quite happy with it.