Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

did u hav a 2 stroke as a first bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by halifax, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ok guys pretty much as the title says im looking for opinions off people that had 2 strokes as first bikes on if they thought they were hard to ride, maintain etc because as i look over the forum 2 strokes get bad mouthed a bit are they really that bad for a first bike? opinions?
    thanks guys...

2. Well, technially, ive had a 2stroke as a first bike, but it was a cr125, so doesnt really count..really, modern 2strokes have hardly any powerband 'kicks' compared to that of the 80's...maintenance wise, nothing different to a fourstroke really ive found, just have a tendancy to foul plugs if you dont rev the shit out of them..
  3. My first bike was a 1976 XL 250 (4 stroke single), crap buit good to learn on.

However being a dumb and cocky 15yr old, I was sure i could ride any 2 stroke.
    My uncle gave me a Huskqvana 500 2-stroke (1998), (cause it broke his leg).

I thought I could I ride, the H500 made a mess of me, I would last about 5 minute before it would flip me.

It showed me who was boss.

5yrs later I bought a CR500 2-stroke which still to this day scares the crap out of me.
  4. Back to the question.

In my opinion the 2-stroke it a bucket load easier to work on then the modern 4-stroke.

However due to the californian emission laws, the four stroke has advaneced a signifiacant amount in recent years, which reduce the power advantage of the 2 stroke.
  5. Yep, my first bike was an RD-250B, in 1974. Twin cylinder 2-stroke, front disc brake.
    I learned heaps from that bike. It was easy to start, (kick only) I never tuned it for the whole time it was a 250, and when I wanted more speed, I put on a set of expansion chambers, then removed the heads, barrels and pistons and turned it into a 350!
    All that said, modern four-strokes are smooth, sophisticated, economical and good for most every type of riding; unless you have a real passion for a two stroke, long term you may find it tiresome to own (although a real buzz to ride)
  6. Me and a mate got a 1974 Suzuki GT185 for free out of his next doors neighbours yard. It was in serious need a tune but ran OK. Man was that an eye opener with thos skinny tyres, OLD tyres (about 1980's and it was 2002) and Brutle power band kick. It was also the first bike i ever experienced a high side on (well kinda, it didn't throw me off completely but did throw me over to the other side of the bike). I was only doing about 5-10km/h but man it was scary to feel the bike try to make you depart it in the most ungraceful manner. What a ton of fun.

7. I've had my Suzuki RGV 250R for some 10 or 11 months now and she has so far given me around 10,000 kms without a hitch :D

When I started out I looked at quite few bikes. I wanted something that was reliable, sexy and fast :D Initially I was drawn to the mainstream 4 strokers such as the Kawasaki ZX2R and the Honda CBR 250RR.
    I loved the sports look and the feel on road for both were good and fast, well...I thought they were fast back then :p

I happened to be looking through the Honda brochures and found myself drooling over the Repsol livery of the Honda NSR 150. I didn't actually get to ride one, but most people I talked to laughed off the idea of a 150 :(
    But I was intrigued and decided to take a closer look at what was available in the 2 strokers. I then found the Aprillia RS 250, sexy, fast and a 250 :D One problem though...expensive :roll:

I then came across an immaculate RGV on a showroom floor by chance...
    One of the last ones officially landed here in Australia (retailed here in Australia up until '96). Although she is an original '96 build, she wasn't actually complianced and sold until '98. From there she was bought new and ridden mainly on weekends...12,000kms were put through her in around 6 years. The original owner had loved her like her only child and had decided to make the jump to a GSXR 600.

So there she was, gleaming at me...The salesman threw me the keys with a knowing grin (after handing over my CC, licence and signing a release) and off we went. As soon I as opened her up out on the highway, I knew there was no way I wasn't going to buy her :D I came back with the biggest smile on my face and immediately left a deposit :D :D :D

I absolutely love the RGV and I'm extremely glad I found her. I didn't set out to get a 2 stroker though, it just turned out that way...I must admit most people tried to warn me off them (rebuilds, oil costs, power delivery etc) but I tell you, nothing in the 250 range can really compare with that euphoric 'slingshot' you get as you open up into the higher rev range. It's kinda like hitting 'warp' speed on the enterprise...everything just gets blurry :LOL:
    The bike is sexy and it's damn fast :twisted:

Having said that, I would suggest they probably are not an ideal 'learners' bike. You do have to maintain them well and they aren't the most forgiving bikes if you make mistakes. A zig where you should have zagged can easily lead to an off and at the speeds (and acceleration) you are achieving with them...it can be nasty. But the postive is you will have a bike that will challenge you right through your 12 month restrictions and probably longer. Trust me...I still have healthy amount of respect for mine :shock:

I maintain her well, only run the best PULP & full synthetic oils and have her looked over by the wrench every 5000kms or so.
    I spend about $25 a month or roughly 1 litre of oil (Motorex) every 1000kms.....so it's literally a few cents every tank in 2 stroke oil. It has an oil reservoir and is automatically mixed with the fuel so no mucking around with ratios...Easy :D
    So far no rebuild and she is just ticking over to the 23,000km mark, should make it through to 30,000kms or so.

As with any bike though...do your homework, get to know the bike and it's history (if possible) well. I did the research, talked with the owners and have so far had a trouble free 10 months.
    Unfortunately they do get a bad rap but IMHO I think if bought in good condition and looked after well, they should have little difference in maintenence/running costs and whole lot more to offer in the 'woohoo' department :LOL:

I hope that covers it...If you have any more questions feel free to PM me :D
  8. Yes. First four bikes were strokers. But I don't think two Vespas (50 and 150 cc) , and a 100cc and 125 cc Suzuki are what you had in mind. All were easy to ride and maintain.
  9. Well i had a rg250 for the duration of my apprentiship and i can tell u now that it was fuggin fun :D as Slider says their not the best bike too learn on but hay u can could have a whole lotta fun if u showed the throttle some respect :shock: :D
  10. My bro had an MC21 NSR250 for his first bike, wrote it off 3 weeks after he had bought it at 120km/h, then bought an RGV250 a week after and still has it and I also enjoy it as a change to the 4 stroke, no reason why you shouldn't buy one as a first bike, 3 of my friends started on them and loved every minute...
  11. When I started riding in 1974 two strokes were much more plentiful. I actually had a Honda 350/4 four stroke first but did own a Yamaha RD 250 stroker for a number of years. It was fun but the 4 stroke bug bit again and I sold it to Hornet who gave it to Mrs Hornet to ride.
  12. There is a way of seting up the RGV so that the power band does not kick in mid corrner where so many inexpirianced riders have problems with...

I'm a realatively expirianced rider... I have readen RGV's of different models and years and my over all opinion is that they are top bikes in the right hands... Not for me without some serious riding retraining or mods with the bike...

13. my first was the same... and rg250w

beyond fun to ride.... but due to some wiring issues, i had trouble in the wet...
    just make sure you get something that self mixes!!
  14. thanks slider exactly what i wanted to hear 8) i dont know if u guys agree but i think a lot of the time its better to jump in the deep end of things so u can learn, a 2 stroke could be for me i think they sound like a lot of fun
  15. Me too.
    A 1964 Suzuki T20, 250 super six.
    Awesome, :shock: :shock: :shock: fun.
  16. Mmm, drum brakes all round too, if I recall. Suzuki musta made millions of those things. They also spawned a highly successful race bike as well.
  17. Yep the bike leading up to the Hustler series.
    Yes again twin leading shoe front brake, mean as cats piss, and I reckon as good as some disc brake systems still in use today. But a bugger to set up, and adjust.

The 1964 model was produced as the road racer, 1st of the direct oil injection systems, years ahead of their time. 1st of the six speeds.
    I remember shocking the crap outta many a 4 stoke rider, and its top speed was amazing for its day.

Alround it was a great bike, just looked like shyte.
  18. Fiance had a TZR250 as his L/P plater bike. In the right hands they can be a joy to ride. In the wrong hands, like most bikes, watch out. Ultimately it depends on the type of riding you want to do. Will also depend how much the people you're riding with like to smell (and cloud) of 2-stroke exhaust.
  19. Slider dude, if you RGV has no proof of a top end rebuild, I would be doing this straight away.

Suzuki recommends that the top end is rebuilt every 15000km.

The first thing I did with my Aprilia RS250 is to rebuild the top end just to be on the safe side.

Cost about $350.00 for parts and a good whole day to do on the weekend.

Good luck, and keep on smokin.
  20. Awesome Beast

I think all you blokes a fair bit younger than me. Does this mean anything to anyone?

First Bike = BSA Bantam 125cc, ported, polished, skimmed, stuffed,Wal Phillips throttle body, 8 leading shoe front brake, avgas and castrol 'R', Max out at around 80mph downhill with a following wind.