Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Did Jesus exist? Italian court to decide

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by es, Jan 6, 2006.

1. " An Italian court is tackling Jesus — and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago."

2. This in a country which has the biggest communist party in Europe, which allows a religious organisation to have its own state and laws, but ONLY one religious organisation, which has elected both a p0rn star and a known fraud to parliament, and had one of them become prime minister, and this news is surprising?? :LOL:
  3. Maybe Im'e wrong, But is'nt this subject ( Jesus )getting just a little away from Motor Cycles. ??
  4. you could say that.... starting to tread into theological debate territory....

i'll get he deckchairs and popcorn and seen what unfolds :twisted:
  5. We've had this "this suject is off topic" discussion before. This is a forum of motorcyclists, not a motorcycle forum.

We don't have to restrict our discussions just to bikes.
  6. Hey, I just noticed, I've become regular!

(my ranking that is.)
  7. that's nothin... I'm an addict with no bike!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  8. Well at least the deckchairs will :LOL:
  9. look out he's on fire today!!
  10. Hey! Italians are just weird. I should know. My parents are Italian. Wogs do some strange things. :grin:
  11. This one could go either way I reckon. It will be based on presentable facts, and since Jesus may well have existed (according to various historical artefacts/publications), it will likely prove that he existed.

That however doesn't really answer the question of did he have superpowers, was he the Son of God or indeed perhaps a member of either the Justice League or Defenders of the Earth. This whole case is about as useful as a trial to determine whether David Koresh existed - he certainly existed, but that doesn't mean he was the Lamb of God as he claimed to be.

As far as I can tell, it will just settle a dispute between two old codgers who up until now have been yelling at each other over the back fence :LOL:
  12. ahh you mean the Mafia right??
  13. yeah its a bit silly ist it :LOL:
  14. If anyone's followed the saga that erupted when Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" was published, you may be aware of the revelations that Brown's story was more or less ripped off from a series of books, some of which were titled "The Holy Blood, The Holy Grail" and the "Messianic Legacy". They dealt with the legend that was Christ. Whether you wish to believe them or not, that's up to you. But the authors suggested that someone fitting JC's description may have existed back then, but not necessarily by that name, or even of the oft reported parentage.

When Paul wrote the gospels, it was 40 years after the death of JC (or his alter ego). So, really, given that back then, newspapers, libraries and the like weren't exactly connected with gigabit fibre optics, you have to question the accuracies of what later became the New Testament section of the bible.

Then in 1947, the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. The catholic church quickly got a hold of them and from then on refused access to anyone, whether they be scholars or whoever. Why the secrecy over what could have been the most historically significant discovery of the 20th century? Did they discover something that they didn't want the rest of the world to know? Or were they simply afraid of what the scrolls may have revealed?

Either way you look at it, the church had something to hide. It's like when 3 Portuguese girls were allegedly visited by Mary, JC's mother at Fatima, the church managed to take custody of them and refused to allow them contact with the outside world, especially the press. And that the so called prophecies were not revealed to the world til after the fact - after the so called propheised events transpired.

Again, why?

Hey. If people want to believe in religion, whether it's as a psychological crutch, or that the doctrine that churches dictate give them something positive to believe in, or whatever, that's fine. Just don't impose those beliefs on those of use who choose to have faith in the human spirit - that our own inate sense of right and wrong will make us better people.

The last thing that I'd like to see is the blurring of church and state. You only have to travel to the Middle East to see how well that's worked out...
  15. Bah! Captain Planet > Jebus
  16. A little off topic but...

.. how'd you do that? I've been here 2x longer than you and am a lurker? :evil:
  17. Re: A little off topic but...

that rank is determined by post count.
  18. Re: A little off topic but...

You need 100 posts. Or let Hornet borrow your account for 5 mins.
  19. Hey, I'm a generous guy, I can lend you some posts! :LOL:
  20. Paul,
    You're incorrigible :!: