Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Did I bork my new oil sump gasket?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by thecptn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. If it ain't broke don't fix it huh? yeh, my old oil sump gasket was fine, so I got a new one to make sure, so I scraped off the old one of the plate face, cleaned it up, bung the new one on, put every thing back together, start the motor, whadyaknow? it leaks oil now! hooray for progress! how ever I realized my error, I had forgotten to scrape the old gasket of the motor face side :oops: I pulled it apart, and found bits of the old one melted in with the new one, geez no wonder it leaked, now getting a new gasket will take a week at least, forgive my ignorance, could I use some silicon gasket goo on top of the borked gasket to seal the deal....hahahah....?

2. I always use a teeny smear of silicone on either side of gaskets.
    Helps hold the gasket in place too as you put it on so it always goes on straight.

If the gasket isnt damaged just reuse it with a little smear silicone. Make sure both surfaces are clean before you do so, tighten it up evenly and dont over torque the bolts.
  3. I don't like silicone, I use plain old grease. If your surfaces aren't TOO far out, the grease does stop slight leaks as silly as it sounds. This probably won't work with your buggered gasket though.

Tighten up diagonal opposites, and don't overtorque. They're the other things that will get you leaks.
  4. And you have two options for removing the old gasket (Aside from expensive gasket remover.) - a scraper or a wire brush. (I usually use a combination, plus a thumbnail or plastic scraper for old silly-cone.)

Then when the surfaces are clean, I rub it down with turps then metho, and then proceed with the gasket install
  5. Razor blade is handy for removing old gasket.
  6. Thanks guys, the grease trick worked! no more leaks, tight as a drum! :cool:
  7. And using grease means the gasket will most likely be reusable next time too. Glad you had a win. :wink:
  8. Smear being the operative word. I've pulled many a damaged engine apart due to an excess of silicone sealant making its way around the oil galleries and becoming lodged at a critical point and starving subsequent components of their vital oil supply.
  9. One way mechanics :grin: keeps people in business.

Btw i would't use grease it wont help it seal at all, silicone is your best bet just try not to get it inside the sump if you do wipe it off before you chuck it back on. if its a cork gasket just nip it dont go crazy if you do you will change the shape of the gasket and you will get leaks, this may be what happened the first time.
  10. there is actually a better product. Liquid gasket. you get it from repco etc. comes in a few different types, but one is for oil applications.

You can actually piss the paper gaskets off altogether with this stuff.

You put a smear on, then finger tighter the joint, then wait for a couple of hours, then torque up. this technique prevents excess inside the engine.

it is similar to silicon, but doesn't seem as corrosive.