Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dickheads pulling out on me

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by rdkls, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Yesterday and today I've had a lot of dickheads endanger me (more than normal), and I'm just a bit pissed off with car drivers in general atm so here's my vent.

Also for the record my defensive riding is pretty good; I stay out of blind spots, anticipate, have escape routes, proactively move into safe areas, make myself visible etc etc

Last night, St Kilda rd., no traffic except me, positioned in RHS of left lane.
    P-Plater with car full of friends thought it was more important to chat to them than pay attention as she quickly pulled out in front of me. Had to e-brake. Gave her a lot of horn. Really hope her friends thought she was stupid.
    Got pretty amped up so pulled over for a coffee and relax afterwards.

(I like the recent study on young drivers, where responses by young drivers feel that older drivers are more dangerous than young/inexperienced ones ..... ****ing joke .... I find P-platers are ****ing dangerous, inexperience and over-confidence are a dangerous mix ....)

After reading another guy's post about bring turned in front of,
    and subsequent recommendation to switch (not flash) to highbeam when passing through such situations to increase visibility, have started doing the same.
    But found it has made little difference. Even if I also have the indicator on (e.g. turning right on roundabout), and mine is LED, flashes quickly and is very visible. Troubling.

Had to pre-emptively beep a guy who tried to join his car to my bike on the roundabout today. Apparently the beeping helped because he suddenly stopped and had a "duh i no see him" look
    (I read in a study that in general, more experienced riders who have less accidents are more likely to pre-emptively use the horn, so have also made a note to try doing so)

Later, 3-lane roundabout, I'm in the right, ute in the middle next to me
    We go through, he goes to cut the corner into me, would've gotten halfway into my lane - I accelerated out of the way, pointed to his lane, asshole.

And the constant stream of people who think because you're a bike it's ok to start their turn into your lane as you go past. I try to give them a good stare as I go past. I'm thinking about sticking my foot out and if they come withing kicking distance letting em have it.

Got a helmet cam recently so am going to be filming most rides, could be handy as evidence if anything ever goes wrong.
    Wondering if the footage can get dangerous drivers (who don't necessarily cause an accident, but still break the law or just drive negligently) penalties ..... if I handed to cops and made enough noise .....
    I see in UK bicycle riders do this and post them on youtube, but apparently the most they do is "shame" the driver ..... pretty powerless

Anyway. I think I got most of that out of my system.
    Ride safe everyone, they really are all out to kill us.

2. Nick... like i said, just deliver your boot to the car door while passing by at high speed with right finger on left hand extended!

3. Yeah ... it's just such a shame you can't accelerate, work the horn, and give them the finger at the same time ..... a real shame .....

4. I drive with a full car of friends regularly on my red P's. I take *SO* much extra care with a car full of people's children! Double checking every lane change, multiple head checks, 5 seconds gap, buffering even, atleast 5km/h below the speed limit... I couldn't bare to have an accident, even if it wasn't my fault, because if something happened to anyone in the car that wasn't me, i would feel it was my fault regardless of what happened. I never want to have to be responsible for someone getting the door-knock from the cops at 2am on a Sunday morning.

I hate p platers. I really do. Whenever i see a p-plater behaving badly, despite my p-plates being on the car/bike, i still mutter "f*****g p-platers..." to myself or whoever is in the car.

You would think that 17/18/19 year olds would have the conscience to realise that, with a two tonne car full of friends, there is some responsibility on them for keeping them safe.

And i say this as an 18 year old p plater.

So hopefully you did embarrass that driver; for kids my age, sometimes their world revolves around what their friends think of them.

5. ad91on, genuinely impressed
    if only we had more young drivers like you ....

6. Mate i'm only describing how i drive when there's people in the car... :p

Or when there's other vehicles about...

Or when the roads aren't so safe/open/visible...

Or when there's a speed camera...

When neither of these demands are met, then the p-plater in me comes out!!! (aside from the loud music of course, that's always out ;))

Of course, no one could prove this.

7. mighty impressed.. quite rare to find young drivers who drive responsibily,

8. pulling out is not a good birth-control technique ;)

9.  Top
  10. I don't want to start a bun fight, but in 26yrs of riding I can count the amount of times that someone has caused me to take evasive or alerting action low double figures. That's years spent riding in and around SE England and Melbourne. Perhaps it's just that I see a situation developing and either take action before it becomes a problem or just don't get in that position in the first place. That's not to say it doesn't happen, nor that I have mystical powers, but I look at these vent threads and wonder what others are doing.

I used to drive 80,000km a year in the UK and would experience a bad situation a couple of times a year. A colleague who was highly critical of others driving prowess would come in several times a week red with rage about how someone had caused him grief on the road. We drove the same roads at the same time, yet we had such distinctly different experiences.

11. This thread is really making me feel good about driving like i have an a-bomb in my boot. :D

12. :WStupid:
    Excellent post mate!
    I think alot of it boils downs to the rider being able to 'read' the traffic, and most importantly making it HIS/HER job to do as much as possible to be seen ( or more correctly noticed ) by other road users.
    I have not been commuting that long, aprox 2.5 years, and the first few mths or so I probably encountered these situations once a week.
    It wasn't until I educated myself, mostly using advice I found here, to change my riding style in order to be noticed, 'read' traffic and anticipate the actions of others, did I see these sorts of problems fade away.
    I can't remember the last time this was an issue.
    You are correct .. nothing mystical about it.
    There will always be times, however, that no matter what you do, some ****tard is gonna try mess you up. Stay alert

13. ANd coming down Royal Parade this morning - stopped at the lights at the Royal Melbourne Hospital corner. Lights change and I'm about to take off and a clown on the left accelerates straight into the intersection before realising that his lights were still red.

He then braked hard and stopped...

If I'd been a little quicker on take off or I'd been in the lefthand service lane then I'd have been in deep sh1t!

14. And a rider with your experience would also look at the traffic and confirm it has stopped before proceeding into the intersection. As you did, you can then safely 'tut tut' at the plonker who nearly ran the light and go merrily on your way. All without having to brake, use your horn, flash your lights or otherwise make your displeasure known.

I am sure that some people wait for the situation to develop just so they can be all indignant and voice their disapproval of the other person, rather than realise that there are way more important things to worry about. And how many of us are perfect riders/drivers ourselves?

15. I think it is a 'survival of the fittest' attitude of drivers. You are only a small motorbike so they think they can take you on. I bet they wouldn't pull out if you were something bigger than them like a semi or a bus.

16. The problem is that he was actually stopped on a red -and had been for a while since the oncoming traffic to me had a right turn arrow. I was anticipating someone running the red right turn arrow which is why I delayed.

Trying to beat the red light is one thing - actively taking off from rest through a red light as he did is something you can't anticipate.

17. Re: ****heads pulling out on me

Cejay and VCM while the point - that we should be riding defensively - is valid
    (but frankly when we have to weave within the lane to be noticed, it's a little ridiculous)
    Sometimes, there really are just ****heads out there.
    This was a vent about such.

18. Re: ****heads pulling out on me

Absolutely there are, no doubt about that.

19. Re: ****heads pulling out on me

I am constantly on the horn, pre-emptively blasting away.

Many times it has stopped cars at the last minute from pulling out on me because they didn't see me.

sad reality is that people just don't see us. It is a pity that the horn in oz is used as a tool of aggression (usually sounded as a response to a stupid action). I take my leads from china and SE asia - the horn is tooted in anticipation of a stupid action.

20. Re: ****heads pulling out on me

This morning i could see woman not noticing me from a sidestreet and about to pull out, so i slowed covered brakes, did the weave and probably looked dumb, but it caught her eye and she stayed put, i agree it may be ridiculous the measures we have to take to be noticed, but i'd rather do that than rely on the drivers and risk the consequences