Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

developing the lean...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by integridad, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

this ones really aimed at all of you more experienced riders.

I'm just wondering if there are any techniques that you can suggest that can help me in leaning into corners more and also to feel more comfortable going through the corner.

I like to think of myself as a pretty competent rider and i feel comfortable on the road, but i want to really develop my cornering technique. I want to work up to track days and getting my knee down - obviously not a short term goal! :grin: ATM, i am occasionally scraping pegs but not consistently enough to say that its a comfortable scrape - im sure you know what i mean. I love the rush you get from it.

Im thinking on going to one of the tracks - Wakefield is the closest for me but otherwise Eastern - for a day and getting some lessons, but to really get the most out of i dont want to be at a novice stage when i go.

Your advice is really appreciated.

Oh, and just for clarification, all riding is in regards to the ZZR, not the CBR. I want to get up to track days on the CBR eventually, but was thinking on taking the zzr first off.

Cheers

2. seat position helps alot. im not much of a expert or anything but i find if i shift my bum to the left (almost hanging off) i can get quiete low. not quiete sure if its the right technique but ive never been taught by any one so i dunno.

while im in this thread and on the topic, if any one knows the proper weight distribution for cornering it would help me heaps. i dont know if i should have my wieght forward, backward or centered.

Cheers x2

3. seat and head position is very important. just make sure u look where u are going and try to relax abit. helps me get to the edges of my tyres. last tip is, if you are going for it, just go for it and dont hesitate.

4. Remember counter-steering...

5. Yeah I would agree, seat position is key, but firstly in the lean what you are trying to do is get as much weight as "far off" as possible. because that will move your centre of mass and therefor allow your bike to remain further upright, therefore giving you more grip in the corner and allowing you to push harder.

So as you set up for a corner make sure you get the entry and exit lines right first of all and have the right gear, then as you approach the corner get your set position right... a good guideline is to have your bum crack inline with the edge of the seat, then you start you lean. As the corner is aided by dropping your wrists the easiest and comfortable way to acheive this is to push your shoulder into the corner, trying to touch the ground with it. This will also make sure you don't stick your bum out further than your upper body and therefore making your weight distribution count towards nothing (I have seen this happen on some riders and it looks hilarious) anway keep practicing that on a particular corner over and over till you can get comfortable with how it feels and then you will know how you should be feeling through other corners.

So just remember most important is entry and exit lines, as well as speed, try to keep this constant untill you see the exit of the corner then power on.

With the second most important thing being body position.

That will hopefully get you somewhere.

6. Cheers for that LPC - im thinking that i might be guilty of the shoulder/bum thing. Im already aware of most of the other aspects however youve given me some good things to think about.

Ill let you know how it goes.

7. Sweet, and if you ever head to Wakefeild send us a PM, I would be keen. I don't a couple of track days in the car and it is an ok track, alot of nice turns and not a particularly fast track, good for fine tuning your skills.

8. Im looking at going to either Wakefiled or Eastern sometime towards the end of Nov,( after uni :grin: :grin: :grin: ). Eastern have a ride day on the 27th im looking at, but dates for wakefield are only up till the end of this month. Eastern - $159 for the day... not to bad.

I'll pm you when ive got more of an idea what im doing.

9. Sweet, The Creek or Wakefeild would be great count me in and I am sure that I could round up a few others :grin: see who has the bigger kahunas.

So when are you off the ZZR and onto the Cibby?

10. I believe the weight distribution that will allow your suspension to work the best throught a corner is 40/60 - Front/Rear. Controlled primarily by throttle. So keep it slightly open into the corner (after setting up correct corner entry speed) and progressively increase at a constant rate. Shutting off throttle will shift the weight distribution forward.

I find that leaning forward into the corner helps.

11. example for a left turn;

look through the corner

LEFT ARM STRAIGHT

RIGHT ELBOW BENT

12. This is probably of no help at all but I remember three words from a HRT course:

Look, Push, Lean.

Look where you want to go, push (counter steer) to turn the bike and drop your shoulder into the turn.

13. Your legs and feet are extremely important to attaining good cornering technique. Using your feet and legs to steer can greatly increase your ability to lean because they have more strength than your upper body does in most cornering situations.
    When you want to turn left, make a conscious effort to push down with your left foot, even try varying degrees of force as well as the way you apply it. If you want to lean hard push down hard and then use your upper body to alter/adjust your riding position. Shift your bum off the seat a little and weight that left foot, meanwhile your upper body is crouching over to meet your front wheel (so to speak). Keep your arm and hand muscle from tensing too hard, instead make them concentrate on the finesse aspects of the whole steering thing (ie. countersteering).
    You seriously wouldn't believe how effective your lower body is in cornering until you try it.
    Getting your weight far off of the bike isn't as important as using your weight correctly. If you were to lean over without pushing down on your inside peg, enough weight wouldn't be transferred to the centre of the bike making your cornering somewhat unpredictable.
    Go see for yourselves.

14. I guess the other thing to say would be that at this stage scraping your pegs is less of a goal than not scraping them! On the ZZR, if you're moving enough body weight 'inside', you should be able to keep the bike a lot more erect... I know I most often scrape pegs at the moment when my body is at the same angle as the bike, or even if I'm leaning out a bit, and when I shift my body weight in the bike stands up *a lot* more in corners. Of course you'll get back to the point of scraping pegs and using tire edges again as you get quicker, but obviously using your body weight to keep the bike more upright means you have a lot more options, traction and margin for error around a corner.

15. Leaning is only one aspect of getting around a corner safely and quickly. There are about a dozen things you should probably learn before worrying too much about weight distribution and setup in the saddle.
    Do yourself a favour, go to a Superbike school and you will progress heaps quicker with your riding.

16. A quick tip I find is, if you go into a corner and you think the bike can't lean anymore and are not going to make the corner, instead of applying the brakes, lean your body.

You will find the bike can do the same radius at a higher speed.

Not only that the bike will follow your body and you will end up eating the corner.

17. Scrapping pegs is scary sh1t.
    Practice Practice Practice, i think a majority of it is confidence and trusting you horse

18. OK, maybe someone can give me some advice on this one. I've noticed, especially while I was doing a cornering course, that whenever I get the bike leant over in say a long sweeping bend that the rear tyre in particular starts to feel like it is really "squirming" a lot, long before I get to what I would consider a serious angle. To the extent that although it is not letting go, it does feel really unsettling. I've looked at the type of tyre (Pilot Powers), pressures (usually 36-38psi) and seen that compound is wearing right on the tyre's edge in these circumstances. Tried different suspension settings too. But I'm still sure like I'm pretty upright.
    What's going on? Is this shuddering, squirming feeling normal and should I just get used to it?

19. Minor hijack: I'm very new to bikes, could someone explain counter steering for me? I kind of know what it is, but want some more details :)

20. Its esentially turning the handlebars in the opposite direction of the corner. Heres a link with a simple explanation. When you learn to do it youll feel much more comfortable through a corner. I've got a lot of work to do on cornering by the standard I want to be at, but this is a good starting point for complete beginners. Hope it helps

http://www.mc-steering.com/