Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Deus Ex Machina

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by turnipcorp, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Any idea how good/bad these bikes are...?

2. They "look" awesome, but before you get too excited.....check out their pricing.

Saw one on display at Sydney airport a few months ago and was impressed, but personally if I wanted something (reasonably) unique, I'd be looking at a HD Nightster or a Duke GT1000. (believe it or not, they're not that much more expensive - AND at least there'll be a buyer for it if/when you want to get rid of it)

That said....it's your bucks !
  3. They're gorgeous but expensive. They're a back to basics ride, primitive power, braking and handling. Ownership is intended to be an involving experience of tinkering and customising, with a community and culture of it's own.

If you have to ask if they're good, it's probally not for you.
  4. Deus work with other bikes besides SR400s, I've seen them trick up Kawasaki W650s (which I believe they also import new from Japan) and Triumphs, as well as those little Yamaha TW200s and even Suzuki DR650s. They are expensive and you could probably build your own cafe racer or whatever for less cash but not everyone has the time, skills and inclination to build their own project like this. Some people would like to just enjoy riding the results... and that's where Deus come in.
  5. They are a basic Jap bike, with some bling added.

And how many people have said Harelys are overpriced :p
  6. The Deux Triumph is a thing of beauty. :cool: :cool:

I love it, but at $30K is too dear for me. But i will be using it as a template for my cafe racer.
  7. They look damn sexy i'll have to say!

Bit pricey though.
  8. I would spend a bit more money, buy a Triumph Thruxton and do that up however I please. You would get a lot more bike, for not too much more money. I think for the buyer they are targeting, money is not the biggest problem.
  9. ooohhh .. he said those 2 words that make me weak at the knees... Triumph Thruxton
  10. You obviously haven't ridden an SR! :) Kinda turns things on their head - makes a new Triumph seem boring and sterile in its perfection and over-power, while the old (for most SR riders; let's say older designed) Jap SR has character which is lost in those modern Brit bikes!

It's good that Deus are around, but you could get a good SR500 for $3000, and have a ball cafe-ing it yourself in such that it is at the same time your own design and work. I reckon that's part of the whole cafe racer experience...

Thruxton's real damn nice, but again, in the same way - I'd go a Bonnie and do my own conversion on it. (Then again, you can buy good original Brit iron Bonnie for less than a new one! Where's the fun without the leaks??)
  11. They are expensive, but not everybody on a deus bike has spent gazillions of dollars getting it up and running. A lot of people from the SR club use the parts that they import, and a few people are commuting on bog-stock SR400's that they are importing.

I was in a position recently to choose between a thruxton and a SR400, and I went with the SR. Despite some basic stylistic similaritie, they are quite different beasts.
  12. From an SR rider's point of view, how did you find the Thruxton? I'd fear that it'd be just a bit to smooth by comparison, but actually I've not ridden many in-line twins let alone this bike. And the power? Is it right for having fun at legal speeds? And what about its agility compared to the light SR?
  13. It's a great bike, don't get me wrong. I managed to take a standard Bonne and a Thruxton for a blat and I was surprised at the difference between the two bikes - the thruxton, due to it's riding position, lighter cam and different tuning, felt a lot more aggresive but still easy to commute on.

Both were nice bikes, but I didn't like the standard bonne. I didn't get the thruxton because something about it, to me, is just bloody ugly. They both felt a lot smoother, and you could certainly feel the 400-odd extra cc's. Less so in the Bonne, which felt heavier and more bloated than the SR. They've still got tonnes of character, and very ridable and 'flickable' but there was something that the SR killed them on, and I think you nailed it when you used the word 'agile'. The SR is muchas lighter and more flickable, and just a tighter package. If i was doing longer trips, or had to carry a pillion, I know which bike i'd get.

I also test rode a bunch of others, a DR650, a BMW GS and even a Buell XB12S. All were great bikes, and I'd love to own any one of them (Especially the Buell. That thing is a great ride) but the SR was still more my cup of tea.
  14. With regards to the SR400 and the SR500, is there any noticable difference in power between the two?
  15. Honestly, not all -that- much. It's more the way the power is delivered than anything else. The 400 tends to rev higher, and the 500 feels more torquey.

Then again, it's bloody hard to find a standard 500 engine. The closest comparison I've ridden was bog stock and quite old, and there wasn't -that- much difference.

Remember that a 500 pistol and crank slots straight into a 400...
  16. I was going to say - I imagine my 30 year old engine just ain't as tight and punchy as she was 30 years ago, indeed she's feeling pretty loose and sloppy, and I suspect a new 400cc could do just as well.

I've been thinking about making a second seat in a cushy old style, just for two-up riding - the standard SR really isn't good for it.
  17. You chose an SR over a Buell ?? God, what have I been missing ?
  18. The revolution baby!