Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Derestricting a bike (Aprilia RS125)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Justin Stacks, Dec 19, 2012.

1. (Thought this would be the best place to post this, sorry if not)

So, I've been inquiring about Aprilia RS 125s again to replace the one which has been written off.

There are a number of them on sale which claim they have been derestricted, but still LAMS approved.

I thought derestricting a bike would mean it is no longer learner legal, hence the term restricted or derestricted.

Am I missing something here?

Or does it just mean that these guys have derestricted the bike, they don't mention anything to insurance or whomever and can ride it since no one can actually tell it's not restricted unless you get into the engine?

I'm just worried that if I purchase a derestricted bike and considering I'm still on my Ps, if I were to get into any type of accident again, and insurance finds out that the bike has been derestricted, that it's possible you would not be covered in an event of an accident?

Should i just stay away from anything derestricted while I'm on my Ps?

2. They mean derestricting the exhaust and intake I believe, the RS125's are very strangulated to meet emissions targets since they're two stroke... Free it up and 'derestrict' the flow of the gases and hte engine breathes much better and makes more power.. I think the newer ones make something insane like 30% more power after a rejet and exhaust?

3. So if it's been derestricted, are there any issues when it's time to get rego? Is it a good idea to make sure you still have the original exhaust?

4. Not that I know, my bike has btoh the intake and exhaust done and I'm on P's.. never had any issues and never heard of anyone else

Definitely keep original for reselling and also if you (extremely rare chance) get done by the EPA you will need to put the stock one back on to pass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You have to ask on a case by case basis, what has been done to "derestrict".

A trick exhaust could be considered derestricting, but probably still within LAMS.

Equally a Morosi(?) 180 cc kit could also be considered derestricting, but probably outside the limits of LAMS.

As a general rule, for fairly modern bikes, always try and have the original exhaust squirreled away someplace.