Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Derestricted cdi?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by duff_boy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hey, i was just looking on ebay for parts for my bike, and i came across a "Derestricted CDI" unit for sale. What it claims is:
    # No horsepower limit
    # Higher Rev Limit
    # Removes Speed Limiter
    # Improved Timing Curves
    # Increased Spark Energy
    # Improved Throttle Response
    # Easier Starting

Im curious, do these things actually work, do they offer any improvement?? Anyone bought one of these before?

2. Sounds like a scam to me. Its probably just a device to remove the top speed limiter. Those others things it claims to do sound a bit dodgey. If you want those get a better air filter, exhaust, rejetted carbs and a dyno tune by a pro.
  3. A few people I talked to said it doesnt work. It does change the way the engine feels but overall it doesnt seem to be any gain. People who used them just put the stock one back on.
  4. hey mate , the question is ..why would your bike be restricted??? its a 250 4 stroke they are as restricted as it comes..thats why they r learner designed.. unrestricted cdis are usually just set up with a timing advance and if anything just push the power in a different part of the rev range..personally i wouldnt bother..besides what ever lil difference it makes u will be used to it a week later and not notice the minor changes..
  5. +1
  6. I think they are aimed at the Californian market. Vehicles there have many restrictions that vehicles in other US states don't.
  7. dont buy =] i tested it already, i'd stick to stock. just clean your carbies, balance, Tune it. *Air to Fuel* ratio for more GAS BURNING!!