Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Derestricted bike going for p's

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Karlbee92, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys and girls,

I'm currently riding a Yamaha FZ6R with the throttle restrictor removed.

My question is, when I go for my red provisionals will the instructor check to see if it has been removed; and, if they do find that my bike is de restricted what will they do?

2. Will you be riding your own bike for the test, or one of theirs?

I didn't ride my own bike for the test, so it wasn't relevant.

Although on the day, there was some sort of porcine gathering at the conference centre at Sandown (where my test was), so I would have been shitting bricks if I'd ridden a non-LAMS bike to the location.
  3. What state?

In NSW you use your own bike
  4. In NSW you can use either bike... I'll only be going for the test not the full days ride because I failed my skills test once so I don't have to do the group ride again. I'll be using my own bike because I'm familiar with it and last time I went for my P's they charged me $60 to use their bike and then forced me to use a cruiser which I've never been on one before in my life.
  5. In NSW the instructor checks lights, levers and tyres. Doubt they'd check if a throttle restrictor is not there. If they do check, worst case, they will tell you to park the bike and, if available, hire one of theirs for the test.
  6. Really? Bastards.

I thought i read you had to supply a bike, the fact you can hire one is pretty cool, but i'd be inclined to use whatever you own because as you said you are more familiar.

Is it hard to put the restrictor back on? (I'm a bike noob, so no idea). If its not too difficult then put it back and use it like that for the test
  7. I bought it derestricted but he included the throttle plate so I can restrict it again... The thing is I don't want to go through all the trouble for a half an hour test
  8. Fair call. Worse comes to worse, Banzai seems bang on the money
  9. The thing is, if a dealership finds out the bike's derestricted they legally have the right to hold the bike and then restrict it... Most dealers don't but because it's an out of pocket expense for them but if a dealership can do that I can just imagine what an instructor (the person who determines whether or not you progress on your licence) would do.
  10. Karlbee, have you done your pre-provisional? That includes a road ride that lasts an hour or so.

(assumes you live in an area where this is required).
  11. The worst that will happen is they find out
    They are legally obligated not to let you ride a bike, yet alone take your test on a bike your are not licenced to ride.

Will he report you, not likely, they are not RTA or police but if they are anal they could make it difficult

I would be putting the restriction back in to be safe
    This is a consequence of you taking the risk by riding with it out

But if you don't and still go for the test and something happens, I wouldn't be looking for much sympathy

Just my two cents
  12. I will most probably put the restrictor back on incase anything does happen. I'd rather spend an hour or 2 putting the restrictor back on than to gain 7 demerit points for riding a non-LAMS approved bike. I'll let you's know what happens.
  13. Where did you get this information?? Pretty sure its none of a dealers business what you do with your bike once you get out the door..

I was even told when I got a road-worthy done that they wouldn't have cared if it was un-restricted, its not a road-worthy item..
  14. I work for Yamaha.

My bike is registered as a LAMS and to remove the throttle destrictor is removing the fact that it's a LAMS bike because the power to weight ratio (etc) would have increased....
  15. It's more of a liability issue I would think. These days it's not uncommon for a professional or a company to be held liable if they are aware of a problem or situation which they possibly could have done something about that resulted in loss by someone else ie: injury or death in an accident. On an illegal bike for instance, which had just come from a dealer's workshop.
    The other thing of course is if the OP should be on a LAMS bike and he isn't he will potentially have no insurance.
  16. A dealership cannot be held liable for something someone does when they purchase a bike from them.

The closest you will get of making someone other than the purchaser liable, is the manufacturer.
    If you get a court to hear the accusation, you may be able to argue the manufacturer should not have made the restrictive so easily accessible or something.

That argument would probably work in an American court.
  17. I didn't say they could be held liable for what someone else does, what I was getting at was that there are plenty of instances where a company or professional has been found liable when they have observed a potential problem but have done nothing about it. There is big difference.

I am suggesting it as a possible reason for a dealer feeling they may have to "hold" a bike if they were aware of a defect.
    I'm not a lawyer and I'm guessing neither are you, I am just offering a possible explanation for the fact that the poster was told by someone that the dealer may feel obliged to replace the restrictor.

As an example, a few years ago a swimming pool service company was held liable when a salt chlorinator cell exploded on a backyard pool. The cell had been fitted by the owner but the pool company had been on site several times to clean the equipment and had not noticed the potential problem or if they had they had done nothing about it. Pretty extreme, but it illustrates the point, somewhat longwindedly, I was making.
  18. This is from the RMS (was RTA) website about the MOST

Test motorcycle and helmet
    Test motorcycles must be fully registered and roadworthy. The test motorcycle must conform to the legal requirements of the applicant’s licence. Applicants must wear an Australian Standard AS-1698 approved motorcycle helmet.

Whether they will check is another issue. I wasn't sure if they would say something about the pipes on my bike (not stock and probably over the noise limit) but it wasn't mentioned. They just checked lights and so on.
  19. You would probably get away with it.

However, if they do mange to find out (I'm not sure how they would) then you won't be able to use it to do your test, and (I'm really only guessing) given they are contracted to provide training on behalf of the RMS I would expect that they have a responsibility to report illegal activity to the Police and/or RMS.
  20. Bonzai is on the money. As long as it is generally roadworthy you are fine. Even if they somehow do find out it is outside your conditions you can then hire a bike.