Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Derbi Mulhacen 659

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Haggismaen, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Mulhacen 659

What do you reckon? Wish Derbi shipped to Australia?

I certainly do.
  2. I love it. Hot. Looks like one hell of a cool/fun bike. I've got a soft spot for the Triumph Scrambler ..but the Mulhacen 659 is more suited for off-road riding. Once I'm a bit more experienced I'd like to do some off road stuff.

Just out of curiosity, how much do these sell for?
  3. The only price I could find was in a British bike mag which was £5000, so about $12,700.

Fairly costly considering it's a carburetored single cylinder, but the rest of the components are pretty darn good. Reading the review it says it has great brakes (well the front anyway), suspension and handling. Unfortunately it's only a 5 speed so touring wouldn't be so attractive on it.
  4. Triumph Scrambler goes for around $14K, yes a twin but not as well set up as the Mulhacen

Shame about only a five speed - interesting two 18" wheels so pretty good ground clearance and love the exhaust
  5. Oooh yeah...with these bikes it's all about the exhaust. Damn nice. :)
  6. You wouldn't want to take it anywhere too rough, whatever those two little black boxes are just above where a bash plate would be fitted to a dirt bike look like they wouldn't be too hard to smash off.
  7. Don't be fooled by the 'scrambler' dress-up; this bike is meant for the city posers not bush. This kind of look is all the rage in Europe so that's what Derbi delivers. They also managed to create an instrument cluster that should be a required study for every aspiring designer or engineer. It's a textbook example of everything you can do wrong. Small, crowded, unreadable and stupid!

They also showed a variation of Mulhacen with built-in video cameras, promising 360-degree vision, and ability to download your clips to the computer, so I assume all recording would be digital, no tape? Another proof if you needed one this is not a bush-basher.

But yeah, it looks pretty cool. I wish someone would bring it here, the more competition the better.
  8. I think it would do OK on dirt tracks.

Those little black boxes are regulators aren't they? Yes very vulnerable to rocks, but if they were covered up and a decent bashplate, radiator guards (radiator is HUGE though) and barkbusters - nothing that isn't done to Strom's, TDM's. TIgers etc before they hit the dirt.

I still say good design that wouldn't be mistake for anything else.
  9. Oh yeah, it's not bad at all for what it is, just as long as you don't have any illusions about what it is you're getting. This is a city, commuter bike and probably is quite excellent in that environment... and yes, you probably could take it bush, especially after you mod it. You can take anything off-road; I've seen pictures of R1 off-road but it doesn't mean it was designed for that :)

The bikes Mulhacen competes with are Aprilla Pegaso Strada and BWM F650, rather than say DR650 or KLR650, that's all I'm saying.
  11. If I bought the Mulhacen it wouldn't be going off road, it would be staying on the tight, twisty roads around Canberra where it would absolutely shine!

Of course all this discussion is moot because Derbi don't ship to Australia..boo! They have some great smaller capacity bikes as well.