Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dented tank, whether to fix or not

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by cam77, May 2, 2007.

1. Hiya,

stoopid cager knocked my parked bike over again a few weeks back (3rd time now). It's an 89 Honda Spada.

This time the bike landed on a pole, which spared the rest of the bike from gravel rash, but put a nice dent in the back of the fuel tank. The paint has cracked off as well. About 10cm.

I have been quoted $450 to get the dent expanded back out and painted over, good as new.

So the questions, if you please?
    (a) is it a good deal at $450?
    (b) is it a waste of money if I'm selling the bike next few months, ie would I be spending $450 that I won't get back in resale value? Or is it money well spent.
    (c) will I need it fixed before rego time?

Thanks for all opinions guys
  2. depends, are there any other signs of it being dropped?

Depending on the size, you could just try to re-bog it yourself, and then get someone to paint it.

you at least need to protect any bare metal from air by painting it however to stop rusting.
  3. wot 'e said....

You should also check to see if there is a coating INSIDE the tank that may have been damaged. Some tanks have a surface inside to prevent rusting. If that's been damaged, then it's probably in your long-term interest to get it fixed professionally, even though it's a lot of money.

Look at it this way, though; you can always use it as an excuse to change the colour of the tank :).
  4. Some tanks if dented will actually hold less fuel as there is now less space. Not a huge amount of difference but if you ride a V-twin, every little drop counts ;)
  5. $450 shite. Stuff fixing it, it will never be as strong as it used to be. Go buy a good second hand one.
  6. I have a tank for you! blue or red??? or even a slightly damaged black one... $220 its yours (not including postage) PM me for details/photos
  7. yeah i got a dent in my tank. about the size of a 50c coin. they quoted me about $500 to fix it last year.

yeah right.

i still got a dent in my tank
  8. did you get the rego of the car that knocked your bike over?? if so get THEM to pay for it
  9. me too
  10. My CB has a few large-ish dents in it. I only got quoted $250-$300 to have them all fixed and painted. But I figure a learner bike will probably go down again, so not worth the money.

But hey, some people see it differently.
  11. how would u go about bogging it yourself? are tehre DIY Kits or something?
  12. Bring it to me and i will do it For much cheaper than that am at cabramtta PM for the Details