Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Demerit poitns to be lowered.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Liq, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24650516-29277,00.html

Speeding demerits for minor offences to be relaxed

AAP

November 14, 2008 12:56pm

DEMERIT points for minor speeding offences in New South Wales will be reduced.
    Drivers are currently penalised three demerit points for exceeding a speed limit by less than 15 kilometres per hour, with a total of 12 points within two years resulting in cancellation of their licence.

With points penalties commonly doubled during long-weekend holidays, this can mean a driver loses his or her licence for just two minor offences.

"We will change the law," Roads Minister Michael Daly said today.

"Three points for exceeding the speed limit from 0 to 15 (km/h) will be reduced, and I'll be coming back with a comprehensive proposal to make motoring fairer for people in NSW," he said.

thoughts? I think its brilliant, and sensible, should come into effect EVERYWHERE.

2. Sorry, TonyE has already posted this under the "[NSW] And it's not even April 1st" heading, mate.

And its an inaccurate quote, too, the demerit period is three years, not two.

3. NSW has for a long time had harsher penalties than Victoria (balanced by a somewhat less rabid enforcement policy). So I guess it isn't that surprising that they have decided to standardise a bit.

Fairer... yes I'd say it is.

4. nsw is fcuked, 3 pts is 12-20 in qld and 15-30 in nt.

5. Already a thread on this.
    Topic was not state specific.
    Very naughty OP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.