Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Demerit points on an international license?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by ajiribarren, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Hello everyone, well I got my first speeding ticket on the mail today :furious:

    It says that also I got 3 demerit points, but I don't have an Australian drivers license, just an international license since I have a student visa,at least for another year and a half.

    Does anyone knows if or when I apply for a NSW license, the demerit points are transfered? I tried searching for info without any real success.

  2. I am more then certain yes the points will be transferred. You start your license if on your fulls with 12 points and in your case you will have only 9 points remaining which you can accrue on future points. If you have to go thru your p's then you are in a bit of hot water as below.

    Accumulating points

    A driver who has not committed any offences has zero points. When an offence that carries demerit points is committed, the points are added to the licence holder’s driving record. If the licence holder incurs the threshold number of demerit points within a three-year period, a licence suspension or refusal is applied. The thresholds are as follows:
    • Unrestricted licence – 12 points.
    • Provisional P2 licence – 7 points.
    • Provisional P1 licence – 4 points.
    • Learner licence – 4 points (from 28 September 2009).
    • Unrestricted licence with a good behaviour period – 2 points within the term of the good behaviour period.
  3. Demerits transferred from a foreign license to a NSW license when you get a NSW license created?

    I kinda doubt it. The authorities only care about whether you've got a "full" license and what vehicle endorsements you have overseas when they make the shiny new local license.

    What if your license is from a country with a system similar to the Northern Territory, which until recently didn't have any concept of demerit points at all? If you get done speeding in the USA on holiday, the points certainly don't transfer back to Australia. (The fine does transfer to your wallet, though. ;)

    What if speeding 10kph over the limit in your home country carries the death penalty and then you move down to Victori... oh, bad example, nevermind.

    Hell, when I changed my license from VIC to NSW a few years ago, my VIC demerit points didn't transfer and I had 12 (or 0) points again. Though I don't know if that's an "administrative error" on the part of the gentleman serving me, who owned a Thruxton 900... hmm.

    (Though none of the above suggestions are for your specific scenario, so who knows. Hmm.)

    I dunno. ResmeN could be very right in saying that they'd keep you on the system and tack the demerits on if, in future, you got a NSW license. But it seems like the "Too Hard Basket" to me.
  4. I've been on the receiving end of the "too hard basket". Copped some points while on my L's in NSW. The points came across and were deducted of my P's in VIC 2 years later. This was nearly 10 years ago and if the system was that sharp back then good luck getting away with points now.
  5. Interstate transfers may - I strongly suspect that international won't.
  6. May be I was lucky I was on a long term business visa for a few years,so could keep my uk license until I got permeant residency,once I had permeant residency had 3 months to get a qld license when I got my qld license I should have had 3 points they never transfered to my qld license.

    You never know you may be lucky
  7. Yeah the thing I'm most concerned is the transfering of the points to a NSW license if I ever get one. When I bought the bike, I had to get a RTA Customer number, and I don't know If that would be linked to any future license I might get.

    Oh well.... Won't know until I get licensed, and that wont happen at least in two years... Now, to pay the fine and be more cautious... they got me on the harbour tunnel, should have know better ](*,)
  8. You can't keep an international licence forever... I can't remember the time period off the top of my head but it may be 12 months in the country then you have to get a local licence. If you don't you'll be treated as an unlicenced driver/rider after that period if you get done for any traffic offence.
  9. Isn't this complicated by the fact that the offence was committed in NSW, therefore the name and address and any details will be easily tracked to that person and should therefore be transferred.

    Drew, I looked up Para's point about residency. I didn't know that for tourists or other visas that are NOT residency, then you don't have to change your licence over until such time that you become a resident. I didn't know that.
  10. Not quite true.....whilst you are compelled to get a local license once you become resident, there is nothing to prevent retaining the original license other than the laws of the issuing country.
  11. I still have my uk licensee is valid till 2030 so have both.
  12. True, but once you're issued a local licence you can no longer use the international one in Aus. E.g. let's say you get a local licence and lose it for DUI or whatever, you can't then use your international licence and drive on that in Aus or use it to prevent loss of points.
  13. Not 100% on that one either....if an Australian court bans you from driving in Australia that the ban applies regardless of who issues your license.

    But there does not appear to be anything in the Federal legislation that enacts the recognition of the UN convention on International Road Traffic that imposes any restriction on the choice of license if multiple licences are held - member states of the commonwealth are obliged to recognise licences issued by any signatory to the UN agreement.

    Where it gets interesting is if you hold different licences, issued by different countries for different license classes.
  14. edited - incorrect info.
  15. At least in Victoria it happens. I got a fine ticket on my overseas license (Brazil) and 1 year after I got my motorcycle learners here, for my surprise it came with 4 demerit points. I call them to find out how come I can have point from 1 year ago into a brand new Victoria license and they told that this is the law.
    Somehow the will have your name on the system and link to a new license as soon as you apply for an Australian one.
  16. I can confirm that this happens in QLD.

    Demerits will be reconciled when you transfer the Foreign License to State License. QLD Transport can track the previous demerits because most people provide the foreign license details when applying for state license.
  17. From the RTA website:

    (I believe) a student visa confers resident status - you are not a visitor - ergo if you have been riding on a foreign driver's license for longer than 3 months, you have been riding unlicensed and illegally. You are required to obtain a NSW driver license.
  18. I am sure all those international students will be pumped to hear they are now residents.
  19. From the RTA website :

    "Who is a temporary overseas visitor?

    If you are not an Australian citizen and not a permanent resident of Australia, you are regarded as a temporary overseas visitor. Temporary overseas visitors can include:

    Business people on limited-duration visits
    People visiting friends or relatives or
    People studying or working temporarily in NSW (eg working visa holders)."

    So far, I'm a visitor on a temporary visa, been riding with my overseas license and a translation from my embassy. That's why I was asking about the demerit points. And for what people have written in this thread, I'll get my points if I ever get a NSW license :cry:
  20. Hey wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

    Looking more closely, it looks like you're not required to get a license if you remain a "temporary visitor", which student visas are classed as.

    I wouldn't worry unless you're planning on applying for residency. In which case you're going to have to suck it up :)