Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Demerit Points in VIC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jez79, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morning all.. Got pulled up this morning by unmarked police car for 'failure to indicate when moving right' haha, $116 and 2 demerit points, not great but I gotta cop it.. (no pun intended)

What I want to know is how long until you can get your full points back?

Checked Vicroads website and couldn't find the info.

Any advice appreciated..

2. either check out the legislation on the vicroads website (or whatever section/act you were pinged under) or call the friendly people at Vicroads and tell them you can't find the info.
  3. So long as there are no other infringments I believe it is 12 months.
  4. :!: You never lose your demerit points.:!:

They're on your driving record for ever. They are not a "basket of eggs arrangement" where you lose some eggs called demerit points and get them back after a time.

The trick is to not have 12 demerit points accrued in any 3year period.

If say back in 2000 you were sitting on 11 demerit points in the three year period, and you had an accident that got deeply involved in a court case... and so no infringment was recorded back then... and that court case resolved TODAY... Well if the court ordered a demerit point driving infringement against you, that infringement would be back dated to the accident and BAMM! you now have more than 12 demerit points in a three period on your record.

The system would "see" the 12demerit points period around 2000 and "see" that no penalty had been served and then it'd send you a letter stating that you had to serve or contest a 12 demerit point penalty for the period around 2000... TODAY.

Great aint it.

Edit: Cruiser bloke, sorry dude, but you need to get informed.
  5. Ahh, gotcha. I just found the info, and you're right, you accumulate the points.. But after 3 years the points from each offense go away from my understanding? So any points received more than 3 years ago are wiped.. Have to get a report and see when the offenses occurred

I checked Vicroads, and I have accumulated 7 points with the possibility of today's 2 points not having been added yet, so potentially at 9 points.

Yippee. Not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.