Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Demerit points for speeding in QLD applicable to NSW licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by halifax, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Hi all,

I have received a notice from QLD police for speeding. As I live in NSW does that mean that I will not incur a loss of demerit points as I have a nsw licence?

Before you ask (and before certain people start on me) I was up there for work in a hire car and clearly did not know the area (I was apparently doing 70 on a 60 zone).

2. Far as I'm aware demerit points apply across states now.
  3. Traffic offences are shared across state lines - but in a stange way.

The FINE you have to pay is determined by the state where the offence occured.

The demerit points accrued for an offence are determined by the licence issuing state.

i.e. When I recently got done doing 11mh over in NSW in a double demerit weekend I thought I was stuffed. I paid the $197 fine... However, when I asked Qld Transport about the state of my licence they confirmed that the 11kmh was a 1pt offence in Qld (would have been 6pts in NSW).

So as far I can gather your offence occured in QLD - if you've been done doing 70 in a 60 limit that will be a $133 fine (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Road/Speeding/Speeding_fines_and_demerit_points)

and you have a NSW licence so for 10kmh over the limit NSW will give you 1 point. (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/speeding.html)
  4. *sigh

what a shame! ah well thanks for the info all
  5. did you note the other thread suggested if you don't pay the fine its up to rta to do something. If they don't, you get nothing.
  6. Wait, 11kph over the limit is 6 points now? Since when?
  7. Double demerit weeked
  8. yeh i did, not sure if i want to risk it though.

importantly many have said that points havent been deducted for offence. Although i have 10 points left i dont want them to diminish so am hoping that happens
  9. "Double demerits"

Ah, gotcha
  10. Remember this if you ever see anyone try and make a case for a national road law system. If they join together we're rooted. Each system as it stands has their negatives and their benefits, if they were to band together who's favour do you think it will come out in? Do you think they will go with the softer option or tougher option?