Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Demerit points carry over?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by OHjimbo, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hey guys
    I just got my p1 license and was wondering if the demerit points carry over from Ls to p1 because I got 2 demerit points on my Ls for crossing white lines and don't really want to get a similar offence and then lose my license
    Anyone know about the laws in nsw cheers

2. I suggest you consult the nsw services website to see how many demerit points you have against you.

3. G'day OHjimboOHjimbo, congratulations getting your Provisional rider licence!

My interpretation is that the demerit points accrued on while on your NSW Learner rider licence remain in effect for three years from the date of the recorded offence, regardless of whether you progress to a P1 licence. This would mean that while you are on a P1 rider licence (still with a maximum of four demerits) you only have two points remaining.

If you progress to a P2 licence within the three years (with a total of seven demerit points) you'll have five points up your sleeve. If you're over 25 years of age and progress straight to a full rider licence (with a total of twelve demerit points) you'll have ten points remaining until the expiry of that three-year period and you get all points back.

I referred to the following link under the Learner drivers to get this information:

Demerit points

As said earlier, this is my interpretation of the information on that page and it may be a good idea to either telephone or visit a NSW RMS office for advice.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Thanks that helps heaps cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Full rider license has 13 points, not 12....in NSW.

6. A full licence rider has only 12, Unless you have been on fulls for more than 5 years without incurring any demerit points. That is, on fulls you need to be a Gold licence holder to have 13 demerit points. If you are on fulls and a silver licence, you can only accrue 12 demerit points before you lose your licence.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Must say this is the first time I'm hearing about a gold or silver licence, so i'm learning something.

What do I have to do to get a platinum licence to match my platinum Virgin Flyer status?

8. NSW Services are not up to issuing platinum licences yet

• Like Like x 1
  9. From RMS Website.............

Accumulating points

A driver who has not committed any offences has zero points. If you commit an offence that carries demerit points, the points are added to your driving record.

If you incur the threshold number of demerit points within a three-year period, a licence suspension or refusal is applied. The three-year period is calculated between the dates the offences were committed. It ends on the day your most recent offence was committed.

The thresholds are:

• Unrestricted licence – 13 points
    • Professional drivers – 14 points. See Professional drivers for more information
    • Provisional P2 licence – 7 points
    • Provisional P1 licence – 4 points
    • Learner licence – 4 points
    • Unrestricted licence with a good behaviour period – 2 points within the term of the good behaviour period.