Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Definition of slip on / bolt on exhausts. Upgrading soon.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by robsalvv, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Folks,

I've got me a scratched up can that I want to replace.

Are the terms "slip on" and "bolt on" interchangeable?

It would seem so to me.

My 9R's can is held on by a lug to the pillion peg and by what looks like a 2 bolt flange at the front where it slips onto the pipe... see my confusion. It bolts and it slips!

What say you guys?

By the way, have you seen this site:

It has almost everything you wanted to know about a motorcycle!

2. Re: Definition of slip on / bolt on exhausts. Upgrading soon

Bolt on....slip on....all the same.
    Means that the OEM system has a joint somewhere around the footpeg area, where any "can" can "slip" over and "bolt" on.
    Some systems don't have those joints but come with a one-piece exhaust (which can still be cut at a certain point to 'slip-on" afternmarket cans).
  3. Another cheaper option you may want to consider is getting your can reskinned ..
  4. bolt ons and slip ons are NOT the same, a bolt on is attached to the intermediate pipe via a bolted flange, and a slip on slips over the end of the intermediate pipe and is usually held on with tension springs,

the bolt to the foot peg is just a stabalising point and has no influence on weather it is a bolt on or slip on.

if you are going to buy a new can for the bike make sure you get the right one!
  5. My workshop manual definitely shows a bolted flange arrangement, and there are no springs in site, so it's a bolt on then!

6. Not necessarily.

On the E- and F-model ZX9's, the link pipe is a separate component which clamps onto the back of the collector. As the stock muffler flange is a big chunky item with a diameter larger than the lateral diameter of most oval race muffler designs, most manufacturers sell their pipes with their own design of link pipe, with spring attachment.

Ergo, slip-on. :)

Nothing wrong with that. A slip-on will be a poofteenth lighter than a bolt-on and, more importantly, it will be compatible with a full race system.