Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Definition of a Low Side for beginners

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pvda, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ahhh memories.
  2. Sliding on his front like that.... I hope he didn't hurt his nads!
  3. I was quite impressed how he tucked his arms in and kept them from flapping around.
  4. Quick note to the slower beginners in the group: A low side is NOT a cool trick you should be learning, do not try this at home!
  5. no try it on the twisties or the track :D
  6. Yep it's basically when the front or the front and back tyres lose grip when cornering. In theory you can 'save' a low-side by using you knee to push the bike up enough for the tyres to regain grip (like I said, in theory).

Ans as raffiki pointed out, low-siding should only be practiced in the safety of your own home.
  7. A few months ago, I nearly had a low side in rain when I was taking a right turn onto the Monash from Warragul Rd. Bike started to slide and I'm going wide, reflexes made me put my right foot out and pushed against the road, also turning the handlebars into the corner. As suddenly as it happened wheels picked up traction again.

Right foot out was just bad reflexes. Very lucky, not something I want to see if I could do it again :).
  8. I know what you mean, I pulled a similar trick on a Yamaha 50cc moped once with my knee, two-up in the rain 8)
  9. Nah, you were just working on your supermoto cornering technique, right? :LOL:
  10. mick doohan did it, he is a god :)
  11. Nah, I was working on my 'I haven't got a clue how much grip I've got in the wet thesis' :p
  12. OK, the definition of a Low Side is Bob and Matry's love lives..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sorry fella's... :LOL:
  13. Hmm thats what i was thinking

:LOL: :p :LOL:
  14. Also got to watch this as wheels can grip hard and can all too suddenly turn into a high-side.
  15. Nodz, can you post a picture/video of this please? :D

16. Could also easily break an ankle or lower leg if you plant too hard at speed.
  17. Theres fotos floating around (cant find them) of rossi losing the front then holding the bike up on his knee till it regripped and riding off again. Ive got them in an AMCN, but cant find them online anywhere.
  18. Must be some weenie little bike to get the foot down all OK my friend, anything with some meat in it you would surely break your ankle. And please don't give me the Rossie did it number, sure he may have, but spare me, who thinks they are in the class of this guy, on this forum anyhow?