Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

decompression... sticking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by daewoo, Oct 6, 2007.

1. I have an old XR250 (85 model)... kick start only with a decompression lever...

I never use the decompression lever, but it has a second cable connected to the kick starter which I think does it automatically...

I always just use the kick starter to push it just past the top of the stroke and give it a kick and it starts pretty well...

I went to start my bike last night, and couldn't get ANY compression... just like the lever was being held in... just kept on turning over without any effort required... I checked where the linkage goes into the head, and it seemed to be able to move back to 'normal' position OK... no weight on the cables or anything, they all seem to mover freely...

Any ideas??? the problem has fixed itself now, but it would be good to know where to look if it happens again...

Cheers,
    Daewoo

2. I think you have answered your own question. ;-)

Lube the cable. If it worked after you played with the cable, it was probably sticking...

Cheers

Trevor G

PS What's a kick start?? (j/k)

3. The decomp lever is there for a reason. I never used mine until I craked the crank case. Get it all working right and the bike will be easier to start.

4. Careful mate. possibly a valve has siezed in the guide

5. Loose exhaust valve? - happened with my SR.

6. I don't think that it was anything to do with the cable, or linkages... I don't know how the decompression works once out of sight, whether is it a valve, in the cylinder head, or a slide/butterfly or what... so I thought that maybe there was a common problem with the decompression function...

I think it was most probably a stuck valve, because I only use the bike on weekends, and it is VERY TIRED...

It seems right now, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't a sign of a bigger problem developing...

I guess it is time for an engine refresh...

Thanks everyone for your input...

Cheers,
    Daewoo