Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Decisions and choices ... what road bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Dec 29, 2005.

• * Up to $13K in your pocket (less than that is of course fine)
      * Not a hypersports or a cruiser
      * Suitable for commute, 500+ km day trips, and multi-day tours
      * Comfortable for 2-up day trips and w/ends away
      * Not too heavy, so can be ridden by woman (say up to approx. 200 kg)
      * Some protection from elements, for winter riding
      * 250+ km to a tank (so around 20l or above)
      * 800cc or above, so a bit of grunt when 2-up or with luggage
      * Steady/responsive enough to flick through the twisties and brake heavy
    What bikes would fall within that list?

1. <-----------

:p

2. Bloody noobs....

Don't forget you are going to need to reserve $1k for gear, then think about insurance, rego.....

:p :LOL:

I hear the strom is nice....

3. Trenshadow is obviously pointing at his GPZ...erm..not soooo comfy on touring two up :wink: :p

Umm..well going through the bike range..
    Ducati- ST of some sort
    Kawasaki -Z1000 (noice bike!) or ZZR 1200 - could be heavy for a chick
    Yamaha FJR- bit big but comfy
    Yamaha FZ1- not much fairing
    Honda- VFR (of course!)
    Suzuki SV1000S
    Suzuki- GSXF750
    Aprilia- no clue!
    BMW- take your pick they all mostly fit the bill, some might be too heavy?

Oh and I didnt necessarily pay attention to everything you wanted on the bike list.. picky picky picky :shock: :grin:

4. New / Secondhad - any preference?

I like the Blackbird. But that isn't so light. I think it sounds like a good excuse to go play in all the bike shops you can find for the next couple of months and ride all the bikes they'll let you whilst drinking all the coffee they supply (sounds like fun - can I come?) :LOL:

5. :LOL: Classic, Matt.

Jason hit xxsteve up for a ride on the Blackbird!

6. sounds like a triumph sprint may fit you perfectly?

7. Now that's what I call a woman! :eek:

:applause:

Actually, I was going to say that the Suzuki GSX750F would fit the bill in every respect, and you'd put one on the road brand new with change.

That is until I saw your requirement for +800cc's.

Two - up my GSX750F is fine...it certainly never has gobs of torque down low, but keep the revs where they want to be and it doesn't even blink.

Very comfortable riding position, respectable range, and even flicks through the twisties quite nicely.

OK, so it's never going to really push your eyeballs back into your skull with power, but it's no hypersports ;)

;)

8. * Not a hypersports Girl
    * Suitable for commute, 500+ km day trips, and multi-day tours Hayabusa
    * Comfortable for 2-up day trips and w/ends awayHayabusa
    * Not too heavy, so can be ridden by woman (say up to approx. 200 kg) Hayabusa
    * Some protection from elements, for winter riding Hayabusa
    * 250+ km to a tank (so around 20l or above) Hayabusa
    * 800cc or above, so a bit of grunt when 2-up or with luggage Hayabusa
    * Steady/responsive enough to flick through the twisties and brake heavy Hayabusa

did i say Hayabusa :grin:

9. The Bird new is 15 on road :) but still a great bike, Triumph Sprints not to bad.
    Have you thought about the GSX1400, i found them to be a disappoinment but still worth a 3 second thought.
    Suzuki GSX750F damn ugly but new price is around 12 on road and there as quick as the Viffer but comfyier

10. Obviously, one and maybe two (at a stretch) would fall within the list :p

11. Go the FZ1 as long as its black!

12. Hmmm ... ST3 2nd hand :)

Lacks winter protection and pillion comfort

Approx 240 kg wet .. it's a pig!

Approx 250 kg wet .. it's a pig! :(

yeah ... but nice :) Pity about the lack of winter protection.

Ugly beyond 2001 :( Most prior are starting to get some legs on them now. :( And the weight was an issue too for Sarah

Seems to fit the bill, but what's the range from a 17litre tank?

Butt ugly, and around 215kg wet.

Mostly too expensive for anything within say 5 years and 100,000km

13. Best you buy one then .. maybe it will stop you decking it soo often :) :LOL: :p
    Would never happen for me - far too heavy and barge arse'y

14. The Yammie FZ1, depending on price, looks like a sensational bike to me, I'd give that a look. Something like 130 horses from a street-tuned and geared R1 engine, so it'd have the drop on your last bike when it's time to have some fun. They look fantastic (says a naked bike fan) and have that bit of fairing up front to keep the wind off.

I just can't see you doing the TDM900 thing mate. You're not a courier or a septuagenarian yet.

Perhaps an SV1000? Although if it's gona be a 1000cc twin, you might as well get another storm. You could always check the Hornet out, I find it a lot of fun and it's piss easy to ride. I think they're going for 11k rideaway, which seems ridiculously cheap to me.

Also you might wanna see what the Aprilia Tuonos are going for second hand... Those look to me like a very solid ride.

15. Around 225kg wet .. and a very wide/big bike, with a lot of unneccessary power unless you want to go fast in a straightline

16. 2nd-hand is fine.

Approximately 230kg wet,

Yeah, but I'd get annoyed at that after a while :)

17. I don't think the wind protection thing's the world's biggest deal either - I ride the hornet every day and have been through some seriously violent weather... And it's not that bad.

18. Yeah, a little weighty but seems to fit the bill. Having heard little pleasing about English bikes though, I'm a bit weary. Anyone ride one?

19. The new sprint STs are getting a whopping big rap around the place.