Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Death spike: why cyclists are dying twice as fast on our roads

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Myke, Nov 15, 2013.

1.  Top
  2. this comment in the comments section sums it up and it has some relevance to us as well.

3. It didn't read that way to me, it was similar to what you read here, SMIDSY type stuff.
    I find it hard to understand the us and them thing, I ride a bicycle, ride a motorcycle and drive a car. I know some cyclists ride in a dangerous manner, I know some motorcyclists ride in a dangerous manner and I know some drivers (of all vehicle types) drive in a dangerous manner.
    You can't have a blanket "we're right and they're wrong", it goes both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ha :) not bad advice.

5. I've ridden a pushbike as transport most of my life, this sort of thing is a cyclists nightmare
    Atleast on a motorbike we can choose if the traffic flows past us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I yielded to a push-bike turning right in-front of me (I had arrived over a crest to a green light). Cars were turning right into the right lane and I was turning left into the left lane, no problem. But mr cyclist decided to turn right into the left lane --where I was heading. It ended well enough, but only because I forgot I was in the car ;)

7. The first thing you have to question is the statistic.

We are talking 10s of deaths here. The question then has to be asked how many cycle trips are made a year.

Let's say there are 4 million people in NSW that call themselves cyclists. And lets say they average around 2 trips per week (1 away from home and 1 return). That's 400,000,000 trips per year.

50 in 400,000,000 is a statistical blip and trying to monitor and control that is an exercise in madness.

Then there is the simple fact that more people are riding bikes on a more regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The big difference is that the cycling lobby wants to talk about deaths because deaths get them better infrastructure. For motorbikes, more deaths means tighter enforcement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. as a keen cyclist- (and motorcyclist) i would have to say riding a road bicycle through the hills on a friday / saturday arvo is the most ''unpleasant'' time to be out...

off road, mtb is where its at imo... all good fun. the only real risk is up to you to take on the downhills.

and speaking of fun, i often find myself yelling out ''get off ya phone ya dickhead" as i pass by on my commute... nothing funnier than watching dickheads get all pissed off about getting called out doing something they shouldnt be...

10. Something I came across in the course of looking at outcomes of the London Congestion Charges was that unlike motorcycle and scooter casualty rates which decrease with a increase in numbers, cyclist casualty rates actually increase in the UK, the US and Australia when numbers increase. e.g. a 10% increase in cycling leads to a 12% increase in casualties (not a real figure)

One explanation that has been mooted (I can't find the reference now, unfortunately) is that cyclists (particularly in Australia, the US and the UK) are often competitive and prepared to take more risks - a very different cycling culture to that of Europe. Another is that they are the only road users who are totally untrained and have lower risk perception compared to motorcyclists.

11. Another possibility is that the cyclists who were doing it when it was unfashionable were smarter and better risk managers than those who picked it up because it became 'in' and PC, who can't think for themselves.

12. Just like motorcycles then ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I rarely see cyclists. One of the benefits of not living in the cities, it's too far for hipsters to pedal to the local coffee shop on their sister's mountain bike after having just stolen her jeans.

• Like Like x 1