Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Death of the world's greatest car designer announced

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Andrea Pininfarina, arguably the world's greatest car designer, has passed away.

See some of his most glorious designs, celebrated here http://jalopnik.com/tag/Ten-Most-Iconic-Pininfarina-Designs/

I owned three of #10, but I strenuously disagree with the #1 ranking here; that should go to one of his 1950's Ferraris.

My apologies; this was, of course, the grandson of the great man :oops:.

2. And he was riding a scooter at the time.

Either that means scooters are actually cool (even if only in Italy)...

...or all scooter riders like me should be hunted down for their sins. :shock:
  3. Was it the actual designer (sounds too young?) or another Pininfarina of teh same family?
    The Pininfarina reskin of the Series 3 Jaguar was a fantastic effort, probably teh best looking modern Jaguar in teh end.
    Pininfarin awere involved in a lot of reskins in teh 70's/80's, many relatively unknown.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Sad that :( .

Never had a Peugeot 404 (though I've had, and loved, a couple of 504s) but do have a soft spot for the superficially similar BMC Mostin Oxbridge family and their close relatives as I cut my spanner twirling teeth on such cars.

Stylingwise, in the mass market I have to confess to being a Michelotti man. Every time I see a Triumph 2000/2500 I'm repeatedly struck by just how damn right they got it. Got to be one of the most attractive British saloons of the 60s/70s.
  5. I've also owned a Peugeot 404. Great car.

By far mt all time favourite looking car was the Ferrari F40. It just looked fast! :twisted:
  6. Ah, Pat, you're twirling my spanners too; after my two 404s I also had a 504, then a Leyland P76, one of the best cars ever built in this country, then a string of Triumph 2000/2500s; for a car built in bland Britain in 1964 it was without a doubt the prettiest of vehicles, and still tugs at my styling brain every time I see one too :).
  7. Pininfarina certainly produced some very impressive cars, however they're also responsible for things like this,
    and even this (yes for the cost of a handful of loose change you too can ride in a Pinanfarina designed vehicle).
    This was in addition to helping the Chinese with several blatant copies of Western cars (not designed by Pininfarina).

Many of those "most iconic" designs were not designed by Andrea. His first design was the Cadillac Allante, which "borrows" very heavily from Maseratis of the era (which were not done by Pininfarina).
  8. I not sure about that list either, how in a list containing the 365GTB would not have it first and how a list of Pininfarina designs can leave out the 250 based ones I don't know. As Andrea was only 51 he probably didn't design anything prior to the 80's he probably didn't design any of the "classics" anyway.

Still a shame though.

Now to find out what bastard designed the Allegro...
  9. He was riding a Vespa GT60, limited edition (1000) made to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the marque, two years ago.

Really rather quite cool.
  10. Bollox. Being placed onto the Roadtoll is not cool.
    Sad end to a great life.