Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dear Suzuki GS500 owners - help?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by slygrog, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I'm picking up my GS500F '05 today and riding it back from Blacktown, which is awesome. But I realised that I'm going to need to fit an L plate when I get there.

On my last bike (from 1983), that involved unscrewing one of the number plate screw things and punching a hole in the plastic of the L plate, then just poking the screw through the hole and screwing it all back together. There was nowhere for me to shove it behind or more elegantly attach it to.

I'm wondering what you've done on your GS500s. I've got in my possession both plastic plates (from RTA) and a magnetic car one (from petrol station), so I just want to know in advance if I need to drag some tools along!

2. Think this is the simplest way..

Take a small bolt/nut (and small tools to attach it with) and attach it using either the left or right bottom hole on the number plate..
    If you're still home, make sure you drill a hole in the top middle of your l plate if it doesn't have one..
    It should sit there ok as the rear fender is longer than the plate..

Go past a bunnings if you don't have bolt or tools..
  3. Go past a bunnings? Wouldn't she want to go INTO a bunnings? :p
  4. Attach it with some cable ties for the trip, then figure out the best way to attach it once you're home.
  5. I used cable ties, just below the plate (had a tube label holder). If you fit it too low it will it sucked into the tyre and wear away the bottom of it (if it's the flexible plastics ones).

3 months with a L plate and 7 months with a P plate and they never fell off or broke. Some of those cable ties can hold over 20kg and are UV resistant.
  6. cable ties worked on mine
  7. Hi, This is my first post. I am 72 years old and have always had a bike of some sort and am lucky enough to live in Bathurst NSW, so I can have a ride around the mount every day if I wish. Recently sold my Honda 1100 Shadow which was hard to do but it was getting too heavy for me. I dropped the bike while standing still and daydreaming where to go next and had the embarressment of having to ask two old ladies who were passing to help me lift it up. Time for a smaller bike!
    Just picked up a 2009 Susuki GS500F that has been garaged for the last two years. Great condition with every thing working except the an electrical problem with the starter system.
    All the electrics work fine. Lights, indicators, stop light, warning lights all OK.
    When I press the starter 'lever' nothing happens but the lights dim. Even though the bike is in neutral with the neutral light on and the back wheel turns freely.
    But if I pull in the clutch lever the motor turns and the battery terminals get really very hot after just a few turns of the motor. ( Plugs out).
    Not being electrically competent I don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  8. Hi ShadowmanShadowman.
    I may have the wrong end of the stick here... I apologize if I've misread your post.

Oddly, what you describe sounds about right to me. There is a safety switch built into the clutch perch. Even in neutral (on side stand or centre stand) you always need to pull in the clutch lever to start a GS500. The hot battery terminals, this could simple be current drain. With the plugs out the engine will spin up to about twice the RPM it would with plugs in due to the absence of compression. Likewise, the starter motor will spin up to higher revs. That's just a big drain on the battery.

If the bike has been sitting for a couple of years then any fuel in the system will probably have gone off. Consider dumping the fuel out of the tank and draining the carby bowls and fuel lines. You can get to drain screw and hole pretty easily from the right hand side of the bike - you don't have to remove the seat/plastics/tank. Add new fuel. I'd go for a higher octane fuel, something that claims to do some kind of cleaning (the usefulness of that suggestion is guaranteed to cause some debate). Check to see that the bike's got some oil in it (obviously an oil change would not be a bad idea, but leave that til you've got it running). Other than that I'd suggest cleaning and gaping the plugs, putting them back in and having another go at starting it.

I hope this helps a bit.
  9. Suzuki safety interlock, clutch lever must be pulled in to start. With plugs out you're over spinning he starter, clean them and put them back in. Try again, definitely dump the fuel and drain and clean the carbies.