Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dealing with Rust

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by mugen, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I bought a bike recently with, inter alia, a rusty fuel tank. The rust was advanced enough that there were 1-3mm pieces of it in the tank. I emptied the tank and took it to be dipped in caustic solution. In the meantime, I cleaned the filters on the petcock, replaced the fuel filter, and cleared the rust which had clogged and solidified in the carburettors. I received the tank back a few days ago. There are still patches of rust in the tank, but it seems to be a bit better.

Should I use a Kreem or POR-15 kit to repair the tank? POR-15 appeals because a hard ceramic-like coating sounds much more resilient than a latex coating, but I kinda already asked a bike shop to order more stock of Kreem for me :oops: Once that is done, what should I do about the engine itself? Is there anything that I can do to clean out whatever rust has contaminated it, or will the rusty petrol have caused other problems that I might need to investigate?

Thanks! :grin:

2. Grot in the fuel is unlikely to do much harm to the engine itself. Anything large enough to cause problems will generally clog up your carbs first.

Having had a very near miss once as a (partial) result of a pair of carbs full of rust and woodlice, I would recommend pulling the carbies off and giving them a thorough strip, clean and inspection before using the bike seriously. Believe me, having the bike cough and die, just when you need every last fraction of a horsepower to complete that ill judged overtaking manouver is right up there in the top five most frightening feelings.

Having made sure there's no lurking crud, you should be OK to go.

You mention replacing the fuel filter. I'd tend to keep an eye on it and probably change it again after the first two or three tankfuls.

Best of luck.