Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dealing with Dealers - Tips and Strategies?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by AdamR33, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Hi again,

I have been looking around at bikes at some dealerships basically just to sit on bikes to get an idea of what would suit me.

Anyway I was looking at their prices and obviously they were higher than private sellers.

I remember when I bought my car I just named my price which wasnt unrealistic and suggested I would walk away. I ended up starting to and he called me back and he agreed.

So my question is, buying new/second hand from a dealer, first bike or otherwise, what strategies/lines have you used to get the price down?

2. Go on the last day/s of the month, thats when they'll be trying to make sales, especially if they haven't done well that month. Make them realise you know all about the bike you want. Find any negatives with the bike and use that to lower the price, eg. kms, scratches, lack of xyz, etc. Decide on a top price that you'll go to, and offer considerably below that, and work your way up to that top price, then dont move from it. Also if you're new to riding, negotiate getting your gear with them BEFORE you agree to the sale, have everything picked out, say you want this helmet, this jacket, etc. etc. and you want all of the gear for say 25% off.
  3. My uncle has a philosophy when it comes to haggling that I've always stuck with: Thieve it or leave it. In other words, pay the absolute minimum or walk away.
  4. +1 awsome advice, knowing wat kind of gear you want to buy from them befre hand helps alot. make sure you try to get some general prices for some of the gear from the net,

btw you can buy cheap second hand full leather sets for 100$
  5. I did what phozog said ,and got them to drop price on the gear I got ,becuase they wouldn't move much on price from any dealer for the bike I wanted.

Say your "almost" happey with the price ,But if you would like $300 more taken off it.

These are some things extra to "ask" for and will cost them bugger all or nothing but save you.
    I also got the bike delivered 30km to my house for free also.{cost them nothing as the guy lives near by}saves you the worry of getting it home.

Eventualy ,you will need wet weather gear ,so If you still got money left over after your budget.
    Ask for wet weather gear ,jacket and pants.{$120}
    Lock .{$50}
    Bike cover ,if its going to be left out side.{$50}
    Chain lube.{$10}
    Maybe a tank bag.{$40}.
    Tinted visor {$40}

Ask them to throw some of these thing in on the deal ,or %50 off.
    You will end up buying sooner or later ,and it will save you ,and only cost them bugger all.
  6. Best thing you can do is to take someone else along who is not emotionally invested in the purchase, and let them haggle while you shut up. They're unconstrained by the desire to buy the bike and their only interest is in getting you the best deal and are largely immune to subtle sales mind tricks which are designed to play on your desires. Remove the desire (use an impartial third party) and the dealer is left with the cold harsh reality of dealing with someone whose only interest is in getting the best deal.
  7. If you're looking at used bikes, then consider the private market. Unless a used bike still has its manufacturer's warranty then the dealers aren't obliged to offer any sort of warranty on it (here in Victoria. Some other states are the same, but not sure which).

If there is no warranty, then there is no benefit to buy from a dealer. If you buy from a dealer you'll be dealing with a salesman who sells bikes for a living. he knows all the tricks to get you to sign. With a private seller chances are that he has as much experience as you in this area, so you are more or less on an event footing in this regard.

Note: beware of dealerships offering "free" warranty on bikes that aren't required to be sold with one. Usually, they're overpriced and offer very little in the way of warranty.

If you're intent on buying from a dealer, then get the guy to put it in writing with the contract of sale. If he doesn't, walk (refer to tip below).

Don't forget though, YOU control the sale. It is you that the salesman or seller has to convince to buy the bike. You don't need to persuade him to sell it to you.

Biggest tip about buying a vehicle: be prepared to walk away and to continue shopping. Say to the guy, "thanks all the same, but I'll keep on looking. I have a few to see." If he's serious he'll do what he can to convince you that HIS bike is the one to buy, not someone else's. Otherwise, he's a turkey who'll end up sitting on something that he can't get rid of, and will eventually be forced to give it away (figuratively speaking).

Good luck.
  8. This usually works :p

9. .........
  10. Hmm I got shot down yesterday lol

Went to geoff taylor's to check out this bike http://taylormotorcycles.bikepoint....=2819082&TabID=3928&Alias=taylormotorcyclesau

It was a nice bike, in great condition. The guy there said it is $5200 on road. I asked if the price was negotiable and he flat out said no. :(

Do you guys think it is worht that much, I was hoping to get it for $4500 ride away. Maybe I was dreaming, not sure though.

I got home though and saw a bike in bikesales exactly the same as above but only 10k on the clock, still under factory warranty. I called but it sold that morning for $4k :(

Oh well keep looking i guess.
  11. Just keep looking and be patient, you are paying your hard earned money for this bike so you want the best.
  12. A rule of thumb - time spent looking for a bike and learning enough to haggle well is more fun than time at work, but if you spend an hour of your time in the search to reduce the price you pay by more than an hour's worth of your wages, you're ahead!
  13. dont ask if its negotiable. just negotiate. if they dont want to, walk away. there's plenty more bikes exactly the same for ~5200 on the market. they know that. make an offer, leave them your number, let them sweat it. good luck.
  14. I will just share my experience with my recent purchase - brand new 07 Honda 600RR.

I basically rang around all the dealers that stocked the bike (i.e. Peter Stevens, Redwing Honda, Metro Honda) and asked for their best price. I found that the bigger stores (PS & Redwing) can lower the price further because they buy more motorcyles direct from the manufacturer.

Having said that, I took a price that I was comfortable with paying (about $2000 below RRP) and asked the smallest store (Metro Honda) whether or not they could match the price given to me by PS (in fact, there was no such deal, I just made it sound like I really wanted to buy from them, but if there is going to be $2k difference, I will take the risk and buy from a "supermarket" store as the manager put it).

The small store will usually try to persuade you by saying they are your local dealer, will give you better service, will treat you better...etc...but my case was simple, all that isn't worth $2k in my pocket.

When I presented the price to the store owner (good if you can speak to the boss directly), he was astonished at the price offered :shock: (no doubt he was because it wasn't real). After he cursed and swore at the injustice that a dealer can offer a price below what they purchase it for from Honda, he agreed. I put my $1000 deposit over the phone and picked my bike up 4 days later.

Long story store - have your price in mind, and just be firm. It worked for me. :grin:
  15. He's not likely to say sh!t sorry I'll knock $2000 off for you!
    All prices are negotiable if he wants a sale and you want to buy.
    That bike has 18,000k on it in 12 months. Make sure it has been serviced by the book. How much are they new? You'd want to pay $1500 at least less than new. Less if it needs work.
  16. hehe I was paraphrasing the conversation a little, I didn't expect him to say yeah $2k off or anything like that, but even just a hint and say yeah i could maybe do it on road for the sticker price.

He said that it had only been in there for a couple of weeks and if it was there for months then yeah he might consider moving on the price.

I wasnt sure if 18,000km was a lot or not he said the previous owner used it as a commuter so I could see how that would add up on the km's

New they are $5990 + orc from memory.

Its all a learning experience though.
  17. As a few other posters said - you don't ask the salesman for permission to haggle, just start - if they can/want to play they will, if not, you walk. Easy.

Checked that bike online - it's now at $4,995. I reckon you could offer $4,200 and probably work up to your $4,500 mark.
  18. Yeah it was always $4995 or whatever, but he added on roads of ~$200.

I was tempted to ring them and offer $4500 cash and see what they say, but at the same time there are plenty of bikes out there and I shouldnt rush into anything.

19. Screw offering $4500 cash, they'll just up the price from there. Always leave room to haggle, even just a bit. If you want to pay $4500 for it, go into the store (you can usually haggle better face to face), offer $4000 and see what they say, the worst they can say is 'no'. One tip I use is to always ask the seller what they're willing to sell it for, as they'll usually have a price in mind and try for a bit over it originally. Remember, the dealer probably bought it for about $3500-$4000 anyways, trade-in prices, or selling to a dealer is always a lower price than a private sale.

If you really want it, actually pull some cash (a decent amount, about $500-$1000) out of your pocket and basically wave it in front of their face. Telling them if you get a price you're happy with, you'll buy it today. Cash is a great motivator to any salesperson!

Then once you get them to the price you're happy with, start asking for inclusions, just say stuff like "I know you can't budge much more on the price of the bike, but what if I want that jacket and helmet too, surely we can work out a deal?"

Also, be firm, but always be polite. Although we may think they're all out to swindle us, salespeople are just doing their job, and if you're rude or obnoxious to them, they'll dislike you and be even less likely to 'help you out' or 'do a deal'. A good salesperson is excellent at 'reading' people, that's how they get their sales, so just be polite, firm, and try not to let your heart rule the decision too much.

Have fun shopping!
  20. Thanks for the tips, they are really good.

I think when i went in there i felt a little nervous and intimidated as bikes are all new to me.

Hopefully this thread keeps getting added to with other peoples stories and suggestions for future buyers.