Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Deakin study on motorcyclists behaviours!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by fekkinell, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Did anybody else do this?

Either way, the results are in...

Deakin University
    School of Psychology, Geelong Waterfront Campus, Geelong VIC 3217
    Summary of Findings: Testing the Motorcycle Rider Behaviour Questionnaire with Australian Motorcyclists research project
    Investigators: Dr Lucy Zinkiewicz (lucyz@deakin.edu.au), Patrick Wig (patwig@deakin.edu.au), Amy McKenna, Lauren Gook and Kristen Gerlach

The study aimed to investigate how various motorcycle riding behaviours (e.g., wearing protective gear, riding at night) were related to involvement in a motorcycling accident, as well as how riding behaviour and crash risk varies with age, sex, whether you live in the country or city, your feelings about your motorcycle, and some personality characteristics, one of which was psychological need for control.

As the team was lucky enough to collect a large amount of data, we're still analysing it all. However, here's some preliminary information about respondents to the questionnaire, and what was found.

Who completed the questionnaire?

Our online questionnaire was completed by 1365 motorcycle riders, made up of 1168 men and 195 women. Respondents ranged from 18 to 86 years of age, with an average age of 43.53 years, and were employed in a wide range of occupations.

Respondents came from across all states and territories in Australia, with about a third coming from each of NSW and Victoria. They mostly lived in cities of 100,000 people or more (72%), with 23% from regional areas and 4% from rural areas, which is similar to the spread of the Australian population across these areas.

They rode a range of bikes, with about 28% riding sport/touring bikes and 25% riding sport or supersport. Riding experience ranged from less than one year to 70 years (18 years on average), and annual kilometres rode ranged from 50 to 200,000 km (12,816km on average).

So what was people's riding behaviour like?

We found that, on average, respondents reported:

• Nearly always wearing protective clothing (an average score of 5.5 out of 6),

• Occasional speeding (average score 3 out of 6), and

• Hardly ever committing control errors (cornering too fast or too wide) (average score 2 out of 6), traffic errors (e.g., failing to notice pedestrians or signs) and stunts (wheelies and wheel spins) (both 1.5 out of 6 on average).
    How does behaviour relate to crashes?

Respondents reported being involved in very few accidents over the last three years, with 70% of people being involved in none at all. About 58% of these involved the rider hitting another road user or an obstacle, and 52% were due to the rider being hit by another road user. Most of the crashes caused damage only, though nearly 3% caused serious or fatal injury.

As you'd expect, more risky riding behaviour was associated with involvement in crashes over the last three years. Those reporting more traffic errors, control errors, speeding and stunts were involved in more crashes in total, and in more crashes in which they hit another road user or obstacle. Those wearing protective clothing less frequently were also involved in more crashes in total.
    Were there any differences by age and sex?

The younger the rider, they more they reported speeding while on their bike, regardless of the amount of riding experience they had. However, more riding experience was associated with fewer control errors (less cornering too fast or too wide).

Male riders reported performing more stunts and wearing less safety equipment than did female riders, with younger male riders performing more stunts and wearing less safety equipment than did older male riders. Younger male riders were also more involved than older male riders in crashes where they hit another road user/obstacle, and in crashes where they were hit by another road user.
    What about by region?

Riders living and riding in urban (metropolitan) areas reported significantly more accident involvement and speeding than those living and riding in regional areas. Accident severity didn't differ in urban, regional and rural area, though crashes in which the rider was hit by another road user were more frequent in urban areas.
    What about psychological need for control?

We've not yet done all the analyses in relation to personality, though we have some interesting findings in relation to psychological need for control. For both men and women, higher need for control was associated with fewer traffic errors. For men, higher need for control was associated with more wearing of protective clothing.

However, and unexpectedly, higher need for control was also associated with more performance of stunts. This is really interesting, and we plan to do some interviews to look at this issue, later this year.

In conclusion...

We'd like to thank all our respondents for their enthusiastic response to the survey – we were overwhelmed by your eager participation! And we really welcome your feedback on our survey questions – they'll be very useful in revising our questions.

We're hoping to present some of these findings at the 9th National Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion, being held in Melbourne over July 26-28 (see http://www.injuryprevention2009.com/index.php), if they accept our paper. We're also aiming to present papers at forthcoming road safety conferences, as well as write up the results for publication in some academic journals.

If you'd like more detailed information on anything we've reported here, or would like to be sent copies of any journal articles or conference papers we publish down the track, please email Patrick Wig at patwig@deakin.edu.au or ring him on (03) 5227 8489. Patrick's a fellow rider, so he's familiar with many of your experiences and concerns, and happy to satisfy your curiosity!
  2. those nerds need to get laid
  3. There's an 86 year old out there on a motorbike? :shock:
  4. I'd like to know how riders involved in fatal accidents managed to come back from the dead to fill out the survey! I know it probably means riders who were involved in an accident and survived, but someone else was killed eg. pedestrian, pillion. But this must artificially skew the figures for fatal accidents down to almost zero.
  5. That is an excellent point. It would lead to a skew in the results... But for those figures you'd bee looking at places like the VicRoads crash data website rather than an interview study like this. :)
  6. I'd like to see the raw results. There wasn't much analysis in that analysis.
  7. It's a preliminary report to get the detail you will have to wait for the paper they hope to present at the Injury Prevention 2009 conference. You never get much detail from academics until they publish a more rigorous treatment of the data.

It's worth getting our opinion out there. Makes it more difficult for law makers to create law without consultation.
  8. Edit: DELETE

^^yeah what he said. when they email that the findings are complete one of us will post the link up.
  9. 200 000kms on a bike in ONE YEAR!!! That is insane! Must be a postie that moonlights as a courier or something. 550kms a day... Can't be right. Prob that 78yo thought it was how many kms does your bike have on it...
  10. Well, he might have started riding at less than 16 yrs old.
    My dad was an active and safe rider into his 80s, in fact in his mid 70s he mentioned he'd had a test ride on a new Triumph. When I asked him what it was like he said it was a bit heavy but went well, although the acceleration was a bit sluggish over 200kph!!
  11. they got better :LOL:
  12. I did the survey at the time also.

I have no reason to think this but its very likely the 200k year is an error. I did 80k and most would think that's insane (do 60k normally on bikes)

About the age thing, many of you are young and mingle with other young riders. I have FarRiders in the 70+ range and one that's 76 doing the 1000klm days no worries.

Be interesting as others have said to get the full report and keen to see what they do with it.
  13. I'm always skeptical about online surveys or polls. Often the sampling isn't as random or scientific as it could be, particularly for those who have vested interests in trying to skew the results.

Further, the bits about "never losing control" relies a hellava lot on self-honest opinions. I know guys who think that they're great riders but in fact are as ordinary as the rest of us.

Still, if such surveys keep academics in work in our troubled economic times, good luck to 'em...
  14. A survey on cbrxx.com lists the oldest male rider of a Blackbird as 84,
    The oldest women at 72, and she has three big bikes,
    Good on em both, keeps them alive and active,
    And I am working on it.
  15. We all know that these things are flawed, i do not know of any survey that is not, even the census. When trying to quantify human behaviour you can not apply the same so called "scientific rigor" to the data collection and analysis. Heck, scientist are constantly disproving so called fact every five years or so based on nit picking on data collection.
    As part of questionnaire analysis, researchers do factor in the brag factor, it's called "prestige bias". Just because a few people might skew the results with "prestige bias", I don't think the general picture would be too different. These things are about generalizations and you should treat them as such. Personally i think it's good that someone is trying to do this in a more formal manner rather than have a bunch of experts deciding fact from fiction at the local bar or heaven forbid on an online forum!

I think a lot of people are forgetting the role academics play in our society. You would not be on this computer now if it was not for some mathematicians who were playing with purely theoretical propositional calculus many moons ago. Many of you here would of been very critical of the funding they received for what apparently seemed like nonsense.
    consider the points made in this article I am guilty as charged of bias and prejudice - shall I be put to death?

Ok, rant over as I hop off the soap box. hey I'm going to be in the market for a new bike, I live in regional Australia, am older, don't do stunts, improving on the skills, I think this survey tells me I'm right to upgrade to something bigger and faster... there is some logic to this, well that's what I'll tell my wife.