Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dead spot/ Powerband on Yamaha Zeal - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Iondah, Nov 5, 2006.

1. I'm looking for my first bike and on the weekend (amidst some absolute shockers) I had a look at a Yamaha FZX250 Zeal, which I actually think I might buy.

The bike is a 2000 Model, 56,000km on the clock. Dude is asking $3300, I'm hoping to pay $3,000. Bike has been serviced every 5k since new and the dude is the original owner.

Anyway... I had a look through an inspection checklist in one of the other threads which was fantastic. Apart from the bike not being very clean (a bit oily and stuff, few scratches etc) which doesnt bother me much,
    There seems to be a powerband or Dead spot (sorry, not sure about the lingo) between about 5 and 8k revs, (where the bike doesnt get any more power until it hits 8 then goes bang) parcitularly in 2nd gear. Is this because the bike is shot, or just needs a tune, or what? Apart from this it was very smooth and beautiful to ride. No smoke or nasty noises... Think the chain might be a bit lose too.

Tips/ Advice particuarly about what might cause the powerband
  2. suck no one answered ur post plenty of zeal owners around. I reckon its not a problem good price for a zeal if its original owner. i reckon its a bargin.
    worst cause scenario it needs a carbie clean and a tune up. But i think it might be normal for that biek

either way BUMP
  3. When was it last serviced?

Ask the guy that you want to get a mechanic to check out the bike, small price to pay to find out you've got to spend $100 or $1,000

Where are you at? Am sure someone here will know a mechanic close by
  4. I'm in Glen Waverely, bike is in Hidelberg West. (Melbourne)

Yeah, I might give the RACV a call this week.

The bike was sitting for about 6 months as car as I'm aware, but was serviced almost immediately before being garaged.

Thanks for the tips so far... any Zeal owners out there got a comment??
  5. ok if you get a chance to go back, i think you'll find that the problem relates to a specific throttle opening rather than engine speed. At a guess it could begunk in the carbs, 6mths without moving, probably just gunk in the carbs, easy fix.
  6. Hi Iondah,
    I had a FZR, it had a similar problem,
    I would not call it a flat spot in the power range,
    but was not a smooth transition thru the range,
    The solution,
    I changed the muffler back to the original type,
    it had a different muffler fitted for the compliance when imported,
    which just sucked the life out of the mid range power curve.
    Just an idea.

As above as well,
    a carby clean and a tune up by a really good mechanic makes a lot of difference to performance.
  7. Did you drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it? If not, it could be that the fuel is not up to scratch after 6 months, which would show up most in the mid-range. Just topping it up with fresh fuel is not the same thing though, as fuel absorbs moisture which will just contaminate the new fuel.
  8. Would a bit of metho in the tank sort out the moisture???
  9. Thanks very much for the replies. Now I have a few things to try out when I go back to see it tomorrow.

Either way it doesn't sound like it's a serious problem.

Hopefully I'll be the proud owner of a bike tomorrow arvo! :D
  10. Could just be from sitting around as others have said, stale fuel or gunk in the carbs.

One other point, I'm pretty sure the 2000 model was an import, they were only manufactured 1998 and 99. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).
  11. Only by absorbing it, as metho is more hygroscopic than petrol. The fuel would still be without sufficient aromatics and stuff to be as effective as it should be.
  12. The dude told me he bought it new in Aus in '00 and has been commuting on it ever sinceit's dont 56,000k so that adds up. Hope he's legit... :shock:
  13. Absolutely!

Second-hand dead spots cost a fortune, especially if it is a genuine Yamaha dead-spot. Even aftermarket dead-spots are exe. If it's at the right price, snap it up!

I've been trying to find one for my SZR - I need it to tame the awesome power of my ferocious beast. There's a second-hand dead spot on Ebay that I could maybe afford, but it is for the 5000-6500rpm rev range and I need the 6500-7500 one.

I'm thinking of buying a power commander instead, but I want to keep OEM parts on the bike wherever I can.
  14. Doesnt sound like a serious problem...

Usually a flatspot in the power is caused by a fuel/air issue...

I have managed to get this in several ways:

1. I installed a new air filter (too much air, not enough fuel).
    2. Dirty fuel in the tank (too much air, not enough fuel)
    3. Aftermarket exhaust (too much air not enough fuel)
    4. Adjusted needles myself (too much fuel, not enough air).
    5. Got a pro to adjust needles (too much ego, not enough know how)
    6. Got a mate to fix it and it worked perfectly (Not too much ego, not afraid to read manual).
  15. Well if I buy this bike I'll have an excellent dead-spot for sale... :roll:
  16. OK, I checked on Redbook and it is listed there with a new price for 98, 99 and 00, so it may not be an import. It will have a compliance plate on it with details if it is an import.
  17. I didn't buy it. My uncle took one look at it and just about ran in the other direction.

He said the only clean part was one of the engine covers which had probably been wiped clean to conseal an oil leak.

Can't say how lucky I am to be able to have someone experienced look at these things for me. Though I think next time I'll be a bit more confident about what to look for though. There were a few things I picked up on like warn sprockets that the guy kind of talked me out of because I didn't really know better.

Off to look at Loz' Potato bomb I guess!
  18. 2000 model? That's strange, I was under the impression Yamaha rolled the last of the headlight faired FZX250's out the factory doors in late 1999.

1. 56.000K for a 250 released in 1999 isn't too bad - remember it's 6 years old.

2. Wouldn't worry too much about a dirty bike - buy some auto-sol and degreaser.

3. Worn sporkets are a good sign that both spockets will need replacing, in addition to the chain. $200.00+

4. Did you ride the bike? Did you feel the deadspot? This could be caused by many things, including those worn sprockets, a flat battery or too much/less engine oil, an extremely dirty oil filter and even unsyncronised carbies.

If you're still interested in his/her bike, check these things:

0. Does it have a twin headlight set-up, including the fairing?

1. Oil level via the side of the bike.

2. Place your fingers on the chain and move the links from side to side (kinda like pushing the links against one another) - if there is wear, well be prepared to purchase new sprockets etc.

3. Oil leaks you don't want... hmmz.

4. Ask the owner when was the last time he recharged the battery? Does the bike start as soon as the start button is pushed or does it struggle?

5. Complete a rev's check on the bike. (rev's as in RTA-incorperated to view the background history of the Zeal).

6. Check the tread on the tyres.

7. At around 50,000ks, it's usually a good idea to have the valve clearences examined on a Zeal - ask the owner has he/she had this completed by a shop or what?

8. Go for another test ride and stop by the side of the road (make sure it's safe). Rev the bike between 5-8000 ks and move the accelerator up and down to find the dead spot. (make sure you keep the clutch held in tight) If you feel as if it struggles or major decreases in the noise produced from the exust is occuring, give the bike a major rev, red line the bike and spit all the carbon deposits on the heads out the exust - you will see it all come out the exust. Jerk the throttle back and forward untill the all the crap comes out. After that, put the bike in first and ride away and see if the same problem is occuring - I would think the deadspot has now gone, if not, take the bike back and look else where for a 250. (Not Sumoto's)

$3300 is not too bad - if the bike does have a deadspot you may be better off purchasing another bike else where, unless you know what you are doing with the piston timing and so on - deadspots in the rev range means engine work, and engine work on a Zeal will cost you way too much by a Yamaha repair shop.

If you want, I'll take a look at this bike for you, where are you located?
    I know enough about Zeal's to write a service manual so I'd be able to tell you if it's worth buying or not.
  19. Thanks s3cret, if I find another Zeal to look at I'd take you up on the offer, except from the "Revs" comment I guess you're in NSW. I'm in Vic. Those tips will deinately be valuable though (for other bikes as well as Zeals)

Basically the guy was an untrustworthy prick who would spin all sorts to sell the bike.

"Serviced every 5,000 without fail" when asked to show the books "oh must have thrown them out when I moved house".

"What kind of oil do you use?" "Oh, the best I could find".

Regardless of how the bike is I don't want to buy from someone like that.