Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by im.on.it, Sep 11, 2007.

  1. Quick question...
    I left my battery connected for over 2 months and now it has died.
    As I have not ridden the bike for that entire period.

    I tried to charge it over night and start her up in the morning but to no avail. I tested the voltage and the reading was still really low. (less than 3V)

    Will I need to buy a new battery or will this old one still fire up either by charging it for longer or jump starting? The battery was new only 8 months ago and had been running fine up until the long break.

    Ok it wasn't really that quick a question... your help advice is very much appreciated. :)

  2. it should have charged overnight.
    Sounds to me that it may be ready for replacement
  3. It's dead. Buy a new one and don't feel bad about it.
  4. Sounds like a dead duck :(

    Best just to disconnect it if you won't be riding it for a while
  5. Thought as much.

    Thanks for all the responses.
  6. I would have put some Inox (lots of places stock it, including Supercheap Auto) in it - see if that helped. Even if it didn't you would have the bottle to add to your next battery.
  7. Errr, why? I've got some Inox here, but not sure how it would help a battery. Isn't it just a lubricant a la WD40?
  8. Lol...I should have known, I even saw that stuff yesterday.

    There's obviously more than one type of Inox. The one I'm referring to is a liquid made to go in batteries. It removes some kind of build up that forms on the plates and allows them to perform how they should. There are no guarantees but its worth a shot - best of all you'll have lots left over to do any other batteries you have (car or whatever).

    You only ever do it once (per battery) and it prolongs their life, and keeps them functioning better. Read the instructions - you just add a few drops per cell - its easy.