Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

De-chroming plastic

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Jamsq, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Hi everyone,

I am wanting know a simple way to get the Plastic Chrome paint off my bike without compromising the integrity and strength of the plastic, I want to be able to do it either by spray or dipping in a solution like the following video.

I do not want to sand it at all, nor have the funding means for a professional to do it. I bought some Simple green Oven Cleaner but am too scared to try it as yet. The Superclean stuff shown in the video is an Australian company yet you cannot buy it anywhere. Please help. I have a Suzuki Intruder 250VL
  2. What do you want to achieve besides removing the chrome? you could just paint over it?
  3. I want to achieve painting it matt black, but if I just paint over it - it won't stick to the chrome well and will scratch off easily. By stripping it back I can then prime it and coat it in black and it will be a much better finish.
  4. Plasti-dip.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Self etching primer, then paint.
  6. Sand it , dont sand it all off but you will have to sand it.
    Use wet n dry wet sand it
  7. If you use Plasti-dip, there is no sanding, and it will peel off without any damage later, returning it to stock if you want to sell it. Sanding, priming etc are all one way streets, you can't go back....
  8. The active ingredient in that Superclean is Sodium Hydroxide. Caustic.
  9. Thanks guys, definitely going to try Plasti-dip. I do not want to do any sanding. The bleach sort of ruined the fake chrome so won't keep going with that either. Thanks!
  10. Just thinking about this, I'm not sure if there is any real chrome in plastic chrome, but absolutely make sure you don't breath the fumes when you do this. Chromium is deadly.
  11. How about mildish sand blasting? I don't think it would cost much and would be pretty quick. There may even be somebody on here who has one at their work and could help you out. I had one at my last job, but not where I am now.