Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daytona 675 v Honda CBR600RR V Suzuki GSX-R 750

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Josh, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I had the opportunity to test ride three new bikes yesterday because some friends are in the market for new ones. So I thought I'd share my thoughts on each.

Triumph Daytona 675

This was the first Triumph I had ridden, the first triple and the first bike of the day. We took turns going out with the guy from Peter Stevens in Dandenong because they only had one test bike. My initial reaction to the bike: sex on wheels. Now I love sex and putting it on wheels just makes it better. It looks horn, from the angular front end with the alien looking eyes to the triple exhaust coming out under the seat. The riding position was good, not too cramped for my height (178cm), legs not too bent and not too much pressure on the hands. However, on long straight roads I could see this being an issue. It actually seemed like the was nothing in front of me because I was so far forward that the dash and screen were out of sight. A strange feeling but even on the short time I was on it I got used to it. The bike was also very light. Not sure of exact weight but it was definitely lighter than my 170kg dry CBR600. The sound from the exhaust was good, very good. Not so loud that it was annoying but loud enough to let me know this thing was hot. Not sure if it was the fact that the three pipes were coming out under my arse or what but it was very exciting. The dash was good. There was a gear indicator, digital speedo, easy to read tacho and some funny blue lights up the right of it all. Not sure what they were for but they looked cool. My only concern with the layout was because I was so far forward it meant that I had to look right down under the screen to see all the info. Not good in traffic to check speed but not an issue out on the good roads (who cares about how fast you're going when there's a million corners to get around?) My short ride included a few ks up the freeway and I spent most of it in third because it sounded so good. At around 8000 rpm the thing just wants to take off. Even dropping back 50 metres from the leader was enough to allow me to fang it hard to catch up and boy, does it go. Gear changes were good with no problem kicking it up or down although neutral was a bit tricky to find at times.

Honda CBR600RR

Next stop was down to Seaford where we had organised the 600 and CBR1000RR to ride. Unfortunately the 1000 was out with the boss' mate so we had to settle for the 600 and the next bike. The CBR6 has been around for a while so I was well used to its appearance. It was comfortable to sit on. the leg position was comfortable and pressure on the hands was not too bad on the short ride I had. Again, on longer, straighter rides it may become an issue. The bike was smooth. Acceleration from stop or overtaking on the freeway was instant. No time to think, just point and go. It's amazing how fast new bikes can go. The sound from the stock pipes was disappointing. Nothing much had changed from my '99 model to now, it is still the weak-as-piss sound that does nothing to inspire excitement. It didn't detract from the performance, just didn't get my juices flowing. The dash was good. There was the digital speedo, fuel gauge and temperature, with analogue tacho taking up the main space. There was no gear indicator. Gear changes were good and smooth with no problems kicking up or down.

Suzuki GSX-R750

The final bike I rode was this beast. My thoughts on the GSX-R were that it was a monster that had to be tamed, to be feared and not to be trusted. Then I rode this one. Naturally, when you ride any bike that is not your own you take it a bit easy (especially when there's a two grand excess to pay if you stack) but I still felt that the 750 was not that scary. It had heaps of go. Heaps. Bucket loads even. I didn't even get near a quarter of its potential but boy, in the right hands, look out. Sitting in third on the freeway meant that I was right on the verge of takeoff. One twist of the right hand would have launched my into orbit and back before I had a chance to stop. Or change my pants. The exhaust note was loud. There was no mistaking the power behind it. Acceleration had the 750 roaring and even on the overrun when slowing the sound was almost deafening. In fact, after only 15 minutes or so I had had enough of the noise. Maybe earplugs would solve it, maybe I'm getting old. The seating position was very cramped. My knees seemed like they were tucked under my ears. Not good for anything other than racetracks or mountain roads. Or vertically challenged individuals. The pressure on the hands wasn't too bad. Another issue was the vibration. Lots. It meant that high speeds could become uncomfortable, the mirrors were useless and the inevitable numbness in the hands would slow the trip. Not a problem in the twisties, just getting to them. The dash was good. As with the others there was a digital speedo, analogue tacho, gear indicator, temperature gauge. All easy to read.

Verdict

Unfortunately none of these bikes were ridden for any great length of time or on any good roads. Maybe if I worked for a bike mag I may be able to go for longer. However, I have made some conclusions. I'm not in the market for a bike at the moment so there is no preferential bias as such. (Hopefully).

The GSX-R was the fastest, meanest, loudest and raciest from what I could tell. It was also the most uncomfortable. Good for the boy racers, not so good for me.

The CBR was smooth, comfortable and reliable but it was not exciting. It did not say "Whoa! Check out the balls on this baby!!"

The Daytona was pure, unadulterated sex. Enough said. :grin:

2. Just goes to show how personal these reviews are to each rider and to ride each of them for yourself. I found the Trumpy uncomfortable and hated the shape of it at the front. Thought the CBR was boring, and loved the comfort, note, and pretty much everything else about the Gixxer 600, which is why I bought the Gixxer.

Some prefer blondes...

Some brunette's.

The Gixxer is a blonde :twisted: (they have more fun :grin: )

3. Just to add, the blue lights on the 675 are shift indicators. There's 3 things you can do with them. With whatever RPMs you set them at, they either scale up lighting as you approach the target RPMs. They can either be all on or off if you are over or under the target RPM respecitvely. You can also do the same thing but only have 3 lights turn on when above or under target RPM.

*edit* Oh, you can always have them off as well :)

4. Thanks for the review! I am actually looking for a new bike myself and am considering the 675 or GSXR600 (or 750 if funds stretch that far) but haven't decided yet.

I plan to test ride the triumph in the next week or so and I'm also looking for a dealer with a demo GSXR. I really would like to hear some opinions from people other than the dealers on both of these bikes. :)

5. daytona test.

ye i have tested the daytona, it had triumph slip on can on the end which makes the hairs on your balls stand up especialy backing of throttle getting crazy crackling noises, oooooooE!!!!. what to say,well, i found it pretty comfy but didnt ride it long time (im 187cm 6'2), what i did notice in that short time is the handling and motor. this bike steers from the front, like its on rails, its very easy to dip hard into a corner and does not suffer from any wobbles if you make ajustments braking/acceleration mid corner. it makes,quite frankly, my k5 600 feel like a pig. the motor is a real gem and while it doesnt feel massively powerfull it pulls like a 16 year old boy from 4thou revs onward, not only that but it is smooth all the way through with a bit of an extra shove at end of revs. quite like an electric engine in that aspect,which is probably why its deceiving about how powerfull it is as you cant get a good sense on how fast ur going. it really is best of both worlds of vtwin and inline 4. the good thing about this bike is if you want real world performance, it delivers it in spades. if your cranking through the hills and muff up a gear change and find urself in low revs, who cares? its got the tourque to pull you through anyway, do that with an inline four and you lose your momentum/ riding buddy. im going to test the daytona and gix 750 back to back to make up my mind let u all know how that goes.
    also my riding style is a bit lose i like flikable bikes (im right into motarding) so im biast to agressive bikes. something like the cbr bores the tits off me, even though it is a beatifull bike to ride, so smooth and easy to go fast. so bare that in mind when reading my reviews.

6. My CBR600RR is awesome...to solve that little exhuast problem with no noice, i installed the RS-5 yoshi...and that howls!!!

the bikes really responsive and rides awesome!

i havent even flickered at its potential, im hoping to take it to a track soon get it going then...

but presonally i never liked the suzuki...and my mates seriously thinking about getting the triumph...suppose only way to see whats better between the triumph or the honda is to take it to the track...suppose there is a bit of a difference, 600 and 675 but i have faith in my baby!!!

ah yea, honda CBR600RR won the australian titles 2 years in a row...killer machines and also dominate the internationl superbikes champs too :p

HONDA RULE!

ROCK AND RIDE

7. arrr but u didnt ride the new R6 - now thats a bike!

8. Re: daytona test.

Spot on review of the 675 :) Hope you tell us your review of the 675 + 750 back to back, you seem to express bikes with text very well :)

9. I've ridden the 675 and would have no hesitation in swapping the Blade for one (if it wasn't going to cost me money - so a hypothetical as I'd be a few grand down).

10. Only if that's where you'll be doing most of your riding.

Point to point on a public road can be a totally different kettle of fish. On the track you're not dealing with crap road surfaces, potholes, emergency braking etc. etc.

It's what's best for you in a real world situation.

11.  Top
  12. yep thanks wazza will do..

13. Plenty of reviews on these in all the major bike mags - just check out MCN latest issue.

I'll be sticking with the Honda, when my time comes to upgrade.

Keep in mind, all very bike are very closely matched on the road.

RR

14. I've ridden these three particular bikes too. Personally I'm looking for a little more torque and the cbr600 just doesn't deliver in that dept. The Gixxer 750 is a monster, and I don't think it'll be a bike you'd ever outgrow.

A question though, did anyone notice on the daytona that they got a really hot backside from the underseat pipe leading to the can? I didn't have this problem when riding the cbr, but on the daytona it was definitely noticeable.... which is OK now in winter, but in summer it'd be a killer?

15. No mention of the kwakas :shock: ride one before u decied :grin:

16. Just something I came across.. Not like numbers mean that much, it's all about how the bike feels for you personally :)

The following graph shows a 2006 R6 with every Yamaha race kit part compared to a Daytona 675 with a slip-on pipe and TuneBoy remap.
    http://www.tuneboy.com.au/images/Full_Race_R6_vs_Slipon_675.jpg
    Dyno runs are on the same dyno. The 675 is the red line, the R6 is blue.

17. Why?

18. Yeah =P~ the 600 looks better than the zx10!

19. Reeeeeeeeally wanted to buy the 675 (there's a relatively cheap one at Bikebiz Parramatta, if you're interested-gray) but it my budget didn't allow me to... So I got the CBR 600RR '03. Bit scratched, but to me she's just perfect!!! Now I have to name her...

20. I think the 675 is a nice package, if a little ugly , but what about servicing cost and reliability and availability of after market parts ???