Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daytona 675 out of action for a while.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hotwheelsaust, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Last weekend while having a little squirt on the bike, hit 12,000 rpm's (still 2,500 below redline), lots of white smoke, a big bang and then nothing. Luckily the clutch was pulled in, brakes on and stopped before all the oil covered the back wheel. Lo and behold, a saucer size hole in the right hand side of the engine.
    Move forward one week and it seems that a circlip (?) had come off the starter clutch and disintergrated the engine. At least it is all under warranty as I only had 2,800 kms on this bike.
    Now the wait to find out what Triumph are going to do about this situation.
    Just when I was enjoying the bike after being run in, now it looks like I will have to run-in another engine.

2. damn!!! hairy experience.
    Hope triumph sort it out, cause that is a simple but potentially dangerous fault.
  3. Not good mate. Took a look over on the 675 forums, and aside from yourself posting there, this seems to be a first.

Bad luck, to be sure, but as it's still under warranty you're likely to get back an engine as good as new again.
  4. pro-pilot, all such issues are well documented over on the 675 forums.

The BIKE magazine thing was a bit of a saga. It is heavily rumoured that they caned the crap out of the engine without running it in properly, hence the burning oil. Out of thousands of 675 owners on the 675 forums, only an extremely small percentage have reported high oil consumption. During initial run-in, like for the first 2000kms, they burn a bit of oil, but so do all bikes. Once run in, they consume typical oil amounts.

BIKE magazine are infamous for running a 24hr endurance race pitting the 675 against a GSXR750. They actually ran the bike dry of oil and blew the engine. Mind you that the 750 was also burning oil and they were topping it up, but at the end of the day what had happened was that because the 675 uses a dipstick method to check oil levels, as opposed to a sight-glass window, they simply didn't bother.

It is suggested that this is perhaps the real cause of any apparent oil issues, that being that some owners simply don't check the oil level at all.

My 675 currently uses oil at about the same rate as my R1 used to, that being at around 100ml per 1000kms.

As for engine failures, look at any forum for any bike, and you'll find similar. An extremely small percentage of failures does not indicate a wide-spread problem.
  5. You are probably quite right Flux.

When in the UK I recall many complaints in the early models.

Also their cars were notorious for failing in the 80's.
  6. That was in the heady days of British Leyland (Triumph became part of Leyland in 1960) - lots of marques suffered similarly at the hands of BL during that period including Jaguar and Rover.

BTW Triumph Motorcycles separated from Triumph Motorcars in 1936.
  7. Thanks for the replies. My bike did not go through oil. I took the bike in for it's service as per the manual with no oil consumption during the run-in. The day I took the bike out for it's last run, oil was checked that morning, once again no oil loss. I have looked at other forums and really it is just summed up as simple bad luck and a once off problem. Thankfully, the damaged engine is all that occurred, it could have been much worse, for me and the bike.
  8. 12k revs with only 2800 kms on the clock? Tempting fate a little, weren't we???
  9. I hope not!

I ran mine in harder with a lot less k's than that. :)
  10. Hornet600, do you think it should have been run-in longer before this type of revving? It was very rare I ended up anywhere near these rev's. Normally I usually would rev only to about 6k around town. This was just one of those times when you let loose. Please note, this is not being sarcastic, but someone who doesn't have a lot of experience riding or running-in motors.
    Most likely I will be getting a new motor so still want to treat it right.
  11. Are you actually serious or joking :? ? Aside from the fact that a circlip coming off the starter clutch has nothing to do with the engine break-in, surely an engine is broken in by 2800 km and is capable of being used throughout its rev-range. From what hotwheels has described, this failure is due to poor componentry and/or design and/or assembly and it is unfair to infer that he has done something unreasonable to cause this problem when he most certainly hasn't.

Mate, that's really bad luck about what happened. Glad it didn't cause an accident when it let go. Hope you get the Trumpy back on the road soon.
  12. Paul, you are showing everyone how silly old people can be :p

If an engine cannot be used 2K rpm shy of its redline whilst it had 28km on it, I'd be throwing the thing away.
  13. I'be suprised if the owners manual suggested those revs at that distance.
    I hope the shop doesnt do a computer dump and say its outside warranty.

Bad luck with the problem anyway and I hope you're back on the road soon.
  14. What are you guys talking about? The 675 manual states that running up to redline after 1000kms is perfectly fine. This guy's bike has 2800kms on it.

A circlip failure, which is unheard of on 675's before, might have been the result of a faulty/weak part, or my guess is that it may have been improperly installed. A starter clutch circlip is hardly a high stress/load item.
  15. The manual states that the engine can be taken to the redline for short periods between 800 and 1500kms. After that run-in distance it can be used as per normal, making sure you do not do this on a cold engine etc. Based on my experience and the torque of this bike, anything over 10,000 rpm is just plain scary. It was just that occassion where a straight road combined with other riders makes you hold on that little bit longer. Don't forget also that these bike engines are tested in the factory, and if put on a dyno (tune-up etc) that are revved to the limit. The main thing here is I did not sit on these revs for a specific time (30secs or more) nor do I ride at these limits on a regular basis.
    On a different note, it is still good to read other people's views on running-in and I appreciate all comments.
  16. From manual (pg 42)

During the first 500 miles (800 kilometers)
    - do not use full throttle.
    - avoid high engine speeds at all times
    blah blah

From 500 to 1000 miles (800 to 1500 kilometres)
    - Engine speed can gradually be increased to the rev limit for short periods.

Just bad luck, IMO.
  17. Mate, you don't have to make excuses. Your motorcycle engine is made to rev. The redline doesn't signify some naughty don't-go-there rpm. The upper rev range is actually where the engine is making its best power. Even on my old Spada I hit the rev limiter dozens of times a day. You were using your bike as it was made to be used and as FLUX, Vanman37 and yourself have stated, you were well past the break in period. Plus, a failed circlip has nothing to do with the engine break-in.

Not to be disrespectful, but there are a couple of people posting here who are somewhat misguided regarding what breaking in an engine is actually about, so take some of the comments with a grain of salt.
  18. Appreciate the comments Ughboots. I have my own opinion about running the bike in, and felt I did this correctly. I don't mind others opinions, but just wanted to make sure that these people are not offended when I reply.
    I also realise that what has gone wrong with the engine could have happened at any time regards how many km's have been done or run-in.