Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daytona 600 Fuel consumtion.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Dirty Dog, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Hi Boys & Girls

I am brand new to the bike scene and have just bought myself a new 04 Dayton 600. I bought a bike to save (I THINK) money at the servo.

I am wanting to know is what kind of Klms should you expect out of a full tank on a 600 ? I know its like asking how long is a piece of string but just average riding.

I just topped it up the other night and only got 170k's before the fuel light came on :shock: . Keeping in mind the bike is new it has been ridden around slow as for the break in.

Any help would be great.

2. Forget the fuel bills mate, worry about the oil bills.

Those things have porous sumps :)
  3. ha.. if u wanted to save money on running costs and fuel you should have bought a runout hyundai getz at $11990 .. 50mpg ... much cheaper to run overall than a bike

you would get about 40mpg with the triumph, then when you take into account bike tyres, chain and sprockets, oil, life expectancy of a bike engine (about 1/3 of a cars)

etc etc... probably costs twice as much per km to run as a cheap new car nowadays
  4. out of interest, how many litres does the tank hold?
  5. Im starting to think I should have stuck with the car :oops:

Its an 18lt tank.
  6. triumph 600 is 18 litres...so u should get about 280kms or so i would guess??
  7. dirty dog, you made the best decision only hard decision you have now is having to pull into work or keep going.
  8. Where did this gem come from? With the notable exception of 2 Strokes, the average properly maintained motorcycle engine will last every bit as long as a car's. Some can be good for half a million kilometers before rebuild. If you ride the thing like a dickhead, reckon you know more about how to tune and maintain it than the people who designed it, and 'improve' it with aftermarket 'bling' and gegaws, by all means destroy it in 1/3rd of its possible life.
  9. Comparison of 600s
    My Hornet has a 16 litre fuel tank, I ride normally, (not mad racing, etc) and the bike goes onto reserve between 220 kays and 234 kays. I've never tried to see how long reserve lasts!!!
    170 does sound low, although it might have a very generous reserve.
    Scooter is the resident Trumpy expert, find a post by him (there's lots of 'em) and PM him for some feedback.
  10. You bought the bike to save some bucks.....but mate - that's not why you're gonna keep it.....Welcome to a life you never knew existed....;)

11. ok maybe thats a bit of a lie ... but theres no way a 600cc sports bike which redlines at 15,000 is going to last as long as a car which spends most of its life below 5000rpm (and who rides a sports bike like grandma?!)
  12. There's no reason why it shouldn't if properly maintained. The bike was designed/engineered to have to redline at 15,000 just as the car was for 5000rpm. You just can't make comparisons based on the redline. The instructor i went through with my L's course had a triumph Sprint (10-11 000 rpm Redline??) with 180 000kms on the clock still hadn't undergone ANY major engine work/rebuild outside of the manual scheduled services and he said it still ran like a dream.
  13. not even an engine that has been perfectly tuned to run as optimally as possible compared to one that is designed to be cheap and generate spare parts sales?

as for fuel consumption.. i get around 20km/l under the usual combination of commuting and thrashing (900cc)
  14. Ok so it's a 500 and i've only had it since Friday, but after trying abit of everything I seem to be getting ~20.04km per litre.

BTW I'd ride a sports bike like a grandma. Afterall, fairings can be expensive to insure, keep the rating as low as possible. :wink:
  15. yes a good 900cc engine will last much longer than a high revving 250 one.. ...(better fuel economy as well) ... still your fuel consumption is equivalent to a small new car nowadays ...

The point i was making is that its a lot cheaper to run a small new car than it is to run a new bike. Ill agree that i was off about bike engines lasting 1/3 of a car... but when u talk about 180,000kms being a lot for a bike you know what i mean (thats nothing for a car)

eg look at second hand bikes vs second hand cars forsale ... what percentage of bikes have over 200,000kms and what percentage of cars have that?
  16. And what percentage of those bikes can you comfortably steer with your knees while you roll a cigarette. :LOL: :LOL:
  17. Hi If you would like to send me personel message I can let you know a few things about your bike, will not do it over the web. however look up triumph and you will begin to get a picture once you see a few triumph chat rooms. Good luck.
  18. Does sound a bit high. My 955 Sprint goes about 260-270 before the light comes on, I'd guess a smaller but revvier motor would use similar amounts of fuel. How many k's does it have? If its new maybe wait 'til its loosened up and check your consumption again.

Damn fine choice of bike by the way :D

And ignore Vic's comments about oil, I reckon he fell off a Triumph as a kid!! :LOL:
  19. God some people talk crap on this forum.
    Dirty Dog, be aware that some people here just love to stir the fecal sediment on anyone that doesn't buy a Kawahondasuzaha. (Either that or they really are still living in the 70s).
    Truth is most modern bike engines are now very long-lived if serviced properly. I know four Trumpies with 150,000 plus on them, and one, a Tiger , with 280,000. I've had similar experience with Hondas. Bike motors will probably outlive the rest of the bike.
    Rather than asking why there aren't many bikes out there with 200K+ on them, I'd be asking if there are many RIDERS out there with that many Ks.
    Not too many, I'd say. If the bikes aren't ridden much, they're not going to clock up Ks. Simple.
    Dayt600 is, like all sportsbikes, tuned for top end performance rather than economy. In fact the 600s in spirited use can actually drink more than bigger bikes at times. It depends quite a bit how much you twist the wrist. You also don't HAVE to use quick wearing sports rubber if you don't want to.
    Also be aware that some Triumphs have been known to have their fuel lights come on far too early. Just check how many litres it takes to fill it back up to work out how much it's actually using.
  20. When I first picked up my bike new aswell I wasn't getting many k's out of the tank. 19L tank, first filled up when the reserve light came on at 135k's. 2nd tank around 140. 3rd tank the same. On the 4th tank I kept the rev's under 3,000 and I got to 170.

I mentioned this to a mechanic at Peter Stevens when it had it's first service. His reply was what do you expect, it's a 900.

After doing 1500k's on the bike, I checked the k's yesterday after I rode about 20k's on reserve and it was 210+, and this isn't with trying to keep the revs below 3k.

I don't know much about the mechanics of a bike, but from what i've seen my bike it getting more fuel efficient the more k's I do.

My advice it to just wait until after the first service and see if it improves.