Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daytime Headlights?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by rugsta, May 15, 2007.

1. Does anyone know if running with headlights on is the law in Victoria? My VFR doesn't have an OFF switch and looking in a dealers yesterday it seems that neither do new bikes.

2. It was the law for a while but then got changed however I believe it's still mandatory in other parts of the world so far easier/cheaper for manufacturers to simply hardwire all bikes rather than try and produce one with and without on/off switches. It is perfectly legal for you to add your own on/off switch if that's what you want (though might void warranty if you do).

3. Only at night..lol.
    All tho motorcycles have their headlights "hardwired" on, there is nothing stopping you from fitting an on/off switch.

4. There may be nothing stopping you from legally fitting said mod, but why would you want to?

ANY mod that impacts on other road users' ability to see you (even if only marginally) is only going to put you in harms way.

I'd happily have flashy lights and sirens if allowed. :grin:

5. I can switch mine off, which I need to do everytime I start the bike. Damn shit battery!

6. Simply because there are times when having a headlight on can be dangerous.....eg. when the sun is setting behind you...other road users are more likely to see you (even if it's only as a silhouette) than having your headlight (and you) blending in with the sun.

The benefits of having your headlight on during the day is debatable.(unless there's poor visibility etc) Car drivers etc still somehow manage to not see a motorcycle (with headlight blazing) when they are doing a right hand turn at an intersection....

:!: A headlight on during the day has minimal effect unless you are directly in front.....

7. I'm not sure I buy this. Depending on the degree of sun glare, it (light or no light) is more likely to make no difference at all.

Well, that's a gamble. Granted, cagers can be blind, and in some instances NOTHING will save you. Hence the reason there are so many bikes rear-ended on our roads. HOWEVER, if there's even the slightest chance that having my headlight on will make a difference, I'll take it over no light any day. Obviously, if you're going to be rear-ended, this isn't going to help.

Perhaps, but again, I'll take minimal effect over NO effect any day.

8. Does anyone know why the law was changed???

9. Short version.....
    The Government of the day decided that having lights on during the day was a good idea.... conveniently ignoring any negative "evidence". This ADR came into effect on the 1st March 1992.

After much lobbying by the MRA's etc and helped by the lack of supporting evidence summitted to the Victorian Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety held during the 90's, the ADR requiring headlights to be hard wired on was removed on January 1, 1997.

If you'd like to read up on the Victorian Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety, it can be found here: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc/1993cycle/mcycle.htm
    The follow up to the 1993 inquiry can be found here: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc/1998cycle/mcyclesafety.htm

10. And that's YOUR choice....For those that believe that it's sometimes safer to ride during the day with their light off, the removal of ADR 19.01 back in 1997 gave you back that option...even if it does mean fitting an aftermarket on/off switch. :)

11. I can't turn mine off, but if I could I'd have it on all the time anyway.

Anything that MAY help to get you seen is a good thing in my books.

V-twins with loud pipes are also a good idea :)

12. I actually reckon it's harder to judge how close a bike is to you when their headlight is on....has anyone else noticed this?

13. Yeah there's been studies that have shown having a light on not only makes it harder for other road users to judge your distance, but also your speed. Of course on the other hand with the light off they might not even notice you at all.

14. Light on. Light off...doesn't seem to make much difference for some drivers, they'll pull out in front of you, regardless. The trouble is, many don't actually look.......

One downside of riding with your headlight on during the day is it can give some riders a false sense of security....eg. Yeah, that car is gonna give way, he can see my headlight....thud! :(

15. Will be getting a switch fitted as well so I have the option of turning em off as well.

16. anyone who rides with any sense of security is, imho, completely insane. Always ride as though you're invisible or with the understanding that everyone else on the road is out to kill you!

If a headlight (and, as I've already said, I'll be keeping mine on) is giving riders a false sense of security, then perhaps it should be on perm. off for everyone on Ls in order to eradicate the problem. :LOL: