Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Day 1 of Pre-Learners (a recap)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Legendarylvl1, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Hi guys, So I'll be doing a recap of my Pre-learners day 1 activity while its still fresh in my mind. (Finished about 15 minutes ago).

Time: 8am-11:30am
    instructor: ???........

I cannot believe that I can't remember the instructors name. He was a great guy - explained things slowly and methodically - gave you plenty of room to practice at your own pace. I can't fault the instructor.

I got to the Clyde location (under the M4 and in between wentworth/martha st) at around 7am - so well ahead of everyone else. I was surprised at first because the next few people to appear were 4 women (and I had known at the time that my group had 5 people).

But then arrived the next 15 people, and we were separated into four different pre-learners group courses.

So before we started out, we all went into a room and got taught the basics of road dangers and other dangers we might encounter whilst on the bike.
    We were then given a helmet and pair of gloves - Off we went to the course!

Our instructor first taught us how to get on the bike:
    1) engage the front brake of the bike.
    2) do a headcheck before putting your leg over the bike
    3) center the bike (using the handlebars)
    4) kick back the bike stand

We did this 2 or 3 times until everyone had the gist of it.

Next, we learnt how to move the bike up and down the course (2m?) with the bike in neutral. Our instructor told us the difference between the gears and most importantly how to find neutral.

Following, we were told to get off our bikes to further learn the components of the motorbike (the kill switch, key insert, clutch)
    Then using this new learned knowledge, we managed to start the bike.

After turning the bike on and off a few times everyone took turns pushing each other on the bikes - moving in a straight line whilst in neutral and braking at the end.

At first people had a hard time balancing the bike and pretty much everyone had to use their left leg to hold the bike upright. Afterwards, everyone was able to ride the bike (being pushed) with their legs on the foot pegs.

Then the big moment where we manage to 'ride the clutch' (turning the engine on and then moving in a straight line by slowly releasing the clutch/rear brake)

Eventually we managed to use some throttle to go in a straight line.
    After managing this, we were given the opportunity to ride in big circles (staying in 1st gear).
    Later, we were taught how to change between 1st and second gear while riding in big circles.

Finally - Everyone went back to the cabin room and got a rundown of good gear and what to look for (as well as a homework sheet)

Sorry for it being so rushed.
    Tell me if you guys have any questions!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Good luck with it; try to take it all in.
    Much improved learning curve nowadays.
    When we got ours (late 70's) in SA, it was birth certificate in hand and down to the rego office to get our L's on our 16th birthdays (multiple choice test).
    Then 2 weeks later the guy from the office would follow us around the block (me on my trusty XL100 Ag bike), and head off home with a full license. So at the ripe old age of 16 and a bit go off and buy the fastest/coolest bike you can afford. Kwaka widow makers were cheap :D
  3. My only real problem was the bike 'jumping' forward when I got too slow - then tried to increase my speed. Anyone know how I can avoid this? - It never happened at high speeds, but whenever I caught up to the guy in front of me, I had to slow down and consequently the bike would kind of 'stutter'
  4. Don't be afraid to use your clutch to smooth out the low speed stutter (easy with the throttle while you are clutching it). Bike clutches are surprisingly robust.
    It seems a lot going at once - clutch, throttle, brakes, balance, traffic etc, but after a while you will do it without thinking about it (too much).
    .......(imaginary) Honda CB400 :D
  5. Thanks man, my wife and daughters want to learn, and this kind of info is very helpful.
  6. Just add a bit of clutch and the stuttering shoud stop.
    Bikes can only go so slow, if it starts to stutter it's about to stall.
  7. Great write-up. Where's your Day 2 one?
    Then you can add "My first day out on the road on my own".

1. Slip the clutch (keeping in around the "friction zone").
    2. Drag the REAR brake (just touch it slightly, don't try to stop).
    3. Try to practice the clutch slipping first, then a little bit of rear brake and then both together.
    You'll be amazed how slowly you can go with confidence. It'll also help with U turns and around the parking or slow traffic.
  8. finished the 2nd day and got my learners. but cbf atm to finish a recount
  9. Well congrats on getting your learners!