Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Daughter and a bike ?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by STC, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I have been looking a getting a bike and my daughter is now talking about one as a comuter.

2. Cool, what do you think you guys will get?
  3. Shortest OP ever?
  4. He's lulling us into a false sense of security :LOL:.

Welcome, oh brief one. Sounds like there will be much revving of engines soon :).
  5. Sorry it was meant to be a poll about who has (or would allow) a teenage daughter with a bike but it didn't work. She is looking at probably a CBR 125. If anyone can get the poll to work I would be interested in the results.
  6. Poll up :wink:

A bit more info would have been handy :grin:
  7. the best commuter is a scooter!
    if she goes for a bike get her lots of training.
    I'm trying to stop my daughter having a bike or scooter until she's been driving a few years and has some road sense.
  8. How old is she? Can she afford the cost of the bike + at least $1000 for gear and another at least $600 for rego and insurance + fuel and maintenance costs?

Teach her to drive first, she might reconsider. However if she can afford it, and she is responsible, I can't see why not. Could be something you could do together, daddy daughter time :p

What's going on with that left tit? :?
  9. IN some states she'd need to have a car license for a year before getting a bike license anyway, and I think that's not a bad idea - learn the road rules and roadcraft while well protected. I'd hate to see one of my teen daughters start first thing as a tentative rider on the public roads. But yeah, she should definitely get into it once she has some road experience (and if some off-road experience in the mean time is possible I'd highly recommend that too). The CBR 125 is not bad for what it is, but if she's not tall something like a Virago might be a good comfortable way to get started.
  10. when you say 'teenage' how old is she? 16 or 19?
    makes a difference whether she's already been driving a car for a while or not.

I'm a woman & I ride, and I think ALL young people (males & females) should have a couple of years exp in a car before getting on a bike.

but that's just my opinion