Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DataDots on my number plate?!?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Z1043, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hey all,

When I bought my bike I opted to get DataDots put on it as I know some of the insurance companies will give extra discounts for it and I guess I figured one day it could help recover my bike if it was stolen, BUT, I've just fitted a fender eliminator/tail tidy and notice that there are DataDots on the back of my number plate.

Given that they are standard plates and if I ever switched to a personalised plate, they could and probably would, redistribute the original plate I started questioning whether I should allow this to happen.

Should I attempt to remove the DataDots from the plate before handing it in or attempt mangle the plate in such a way as it has to be scrapped?

I don't like the idea of my unique dots being out there on some other bike.
  2. Pretty sure number plates are once off print...once you give them in, they will destroy it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Really? I thought they'd go into a pool for redistribution.
  4. If they did that they wouldn't be able to charge as much as they do for a "new plate fee".
  5. You can hand a plate in but put it 'on hold' for a fee. My wife did this with the plate from her Ducati. It now resides on her SV650.
  6. Even if they do reissue them, they will destroy the old plates & make new ones, so jobs right.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Its also extreamly hard to make sure you get all of the data dots off, thats how its designed.
  8. Are you planning on getting personalised plates..?
  9. I will probably get them remade in black plastic when the rego is next up. It'll suit the colour scheme of the bike much better.

It'd be easy enough to sand the dots off, they're suspended in what looks like a patch of clear epoxy resin. I just don't want to go to the trouble unless I have to.