Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

database program

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by flexorcist, Mar 20, 2007.

1. i was asked the following question by a friends:

I am looking for a data base program I can keep photos with specs in. This is for all the ideas I pick up from magazines for development, so I want to be able to search the database not only for product (i.e. tables, chair, curtains) but also for material (wood, rattan metal etc) as well as for additional comments. Ideally I also want to be able to fit a lot of text in such so that I can use it for craft instructions as well. I down load a lot of stuff from the internet and have a hard time organizing so I can find things again. I’ve tried Microsoft Access, but it does not allow you to put in enough text.

i would have only thought about access... but no good!! anyone work with a good database program?
  2. Try using Access "Memo" fields for your text. "Text" fields are limited to 255chars, but "Memo" fields can hold upto 65k of characters.

The trade-off is that Memo fields are harder to sort and filter.

Edit - just to clarify, I'm referring to MS Access
  3. What about Filemaker? You can use it to organise pictures and video files, etc.

I've not used the current version, but I've found earlier versions to be very versatile.
  4. MS Access with use of memo. How much text are we talkin?

MS SQL Express is an option too.
  5. not really sure about amounts of text but thanks HEAPS i'll pass it on. i limit my response to... this is the best i can do hehehehe.
  6. Sverre's made various databases himself both for clients and his own personal use for his business using Filemaker. I know shit all about it all, but he might be able to give you some further ideas :)

His nick's friction on here. PM him or email him :)