Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Das V8 Ubercars

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Sep 25, 2012.

?
  1. Stick to the current plan

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Stick to Holden and Ford V8s only

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Go back to a production based series

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  4. Go to a Nascar style series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Do whatever they want, as long as it's not on TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Stop entirely, and free up the tracks for more bike racing

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/news/2012/-32510
    Just when I thought the series couldn't get any more pointless - they decide to put a Mercedes on the grid that isn't actually a Mercedes, and will share most of it's parts with a Holden. This of course is in addition to the Nissans based on a model made in Canada (and not sold here) powered by a modified Patrol engine (since it was the only thing in Nissan's inventory primitive enough to be allowed under the rules).

So all we get is race vehicles that have nothing in common with what's on the road - yet at the same time contribute nothing to technological development other than new ways to cheat within the prescribed design rules. Meanwhile they continue to add live bands and other meaningless distractions to try and attract people with little interest in actual racing.

Haven't they learnt anything from Formula 1. :soapbox:

Anyway, that's my rant. So I suppose the question is whether anyone is actually happy to see cars with no relevance to the real world, and forced to use woefully outdated technology, being raced? Personally I'd like to see it go back to a proper production based battle, even if this means Aussie cars don't always win (with classes defined on the basis of purchase price rather than capacity). However I can also see merit in going to the other extreme of a Nascar style standard to create close racing at a much lower cost than the way they're doing it now.

2.  Top
  3. Are they still using 5L pushrod v8's?

I don't really know how BTCC works but I understand there is significantly more variety in the cars.

4. BTCC is great to watch, and the cars you see are all fairly common too (much like our Falcommonwhores)

5. They pulled out of racing next year, since the US wouldn't let them spend the money (cost per vehicle actually sold here was far too great).

They haven't ruled out entering at some other point in the future, but that's obviously going to depend a lot on how many cars they can actually sell here.

6. Yep. Rules stipulate it must be a 2-valve pushrod 5.0L V8.

7. I think you'll find the rules have changed to allow for the Nissan and Merc engines, because quite frankly I can't see either company spending money to develop an engine from last century.

8. When you watch BTCC, the cars are allowed to "race" each other, and will often give each other a nudge or side hit when passing in the bends.

When that happens here, you get a time penalty or similar.

Let the cars race, within reason, a good old bit of mirror tapping would stop the races from being so clinical....

9. Ah yes, seems the Nissan engine will be allowed to run a 32 valve DOHC engine. However the rules apparently require it to be suitably modified so that it does not have an "unfair advantage" over the 2-valve pushrod engines the "Aussie" cars will still be using.
    http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champ...car-engine/tabid/70/newsid/12864/default.aspx

Why does this seem familiar. Oh yes, that's right - they used similar "parity" rules on the GTR Skyline to try and keep it from actually having a chance of winning......

10. exactly this!! I love it, first corner you're almost guaranteed a bit of friendly fender rubbing. Makes for an interesting race

11. Yep the Merc and Datsun will be severely de-tuned.

One of the guys I work with is a V8Taxi fanboi. He got most upset when I pointed out to him that even a 6 (or even some 4) cylinder European cars would have to be de-tuned to allow the V8 taxi's half a chance of competing.

12. Wasn't that the reason they abolished the 2L class many years ago.

I vaguely recall a race (I think at Broadford) where one of the Corollas came very close to finishing on the podium. By the following year however they'd been removed from the series. Can't help but think the fear of Corollas (or BMWs) replicating what the Mini Coopers did previously would have played some part in that decision.

13. Yep.

All you need to do is look at the 'Production Series'.

Hell, even my brother in a slightly modified Hyundai Excel beat a recent model Monaro around Winton. Although, I think that has more to do with a lack of ability than any deficiency the Monaro may have.

14. Yeah I do remember watching a few of those races at Broadford when I was a kid.

Watching V8s get humiliated by a non-turbo 2L Toyota MR2 is the reason why I own one now. So production class racing does sell cars (albeit 15 years after they first came out :LOL:).

15. Seriously?! Back when I lasted watched it (admittedly close to 8 or more years ago now) there was a decent bit of love tappage.

16. Isn't there already a Production Car Championship?

I say scrap the V8 'Supercars' altogether.......

17. Some good old racing for those not old enough to know there was more than ford and holden....

18. there is still plenty of good door handle racing, but the V8 series gets all the money because that seems to be what the punters want to watch. Buggered if I know why, maybe they go for the party not the racing, or its what they've been brought up on. It doesn't interest me much, prefer F1, even that has it's off years when it can be more like watching a parade, been ok this year though.
    I cant see the harm in intruducing more manufacturers though, even if they are handicapped, in fact it may be the only hope they have of keeping it alive in the years to come.

19. DICK Johnson Racing will turn back the clock at this year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, today unveiling a special one-off livery that its Team Norton DJR Falcon entry will carry next week at Mount Panorama.

The team has turned James Moffat’s yellow Norton-backed Falcon into a blue ‘Tru-Blu’ Falcon for the race, paying homage to Johnson’s famous Tru-Blu Falcon XDs of the early 1980s.

The Ford V8 muscle car was made famous by Johnson’s accident with an errant rock at Bathurst in 1980 that wiped him out of the race while leading.

He returned to claim victory with John French in 1981 in a replacement Tru-Blu Falcon, built using funds donated by race fans matched dollar-for-dollar by Edsel Ford II.

To be driven by Moffat and Alex Davison next weekend, the Tru-Blu/Norton Falcon will also carry the famous #17 for the weekend, swapping its regular #18 with the Jim Beam Falcon of Steven Johnson and Dane Allan Simonsen for Bathurst only.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champ...es-tru-blu/tabid/70/newsid/12952/default.aspx
    61342_4_1.

20. So what? It's still the same bloody car with a different paint job. That might be OK with Scalextric enthusiasts, but I demand a bit more than pretty colours to make racing interesting.