Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dangerous Cornering Technique?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by sonicbaz, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I'm having trouble staying in a wheel track like we were told in Q-ride when I go round a bend. I end up crossing the most dangerous part of the road right at the apex ie the middle where all the oil is.

If it is a right hand bend I will start in the right wheel track, but will end up in the left on the exit of the bend. I'm a little worried I'm developing a bad habit and need to know what the right thing to do is.

Maybe I'm not leaning over enough (hence my previous topic post) :roll:

Cheers for the communities on going help. :grin:

2. Look through the turn, and don't fixate yourself too much on the "wheel tracks" directly in front of you.

3. Just try taking it a little slower and look where you want the bike to go. You may not yet feel confident enough to lean in so far and I don't think you should push yourself beyond this, eventually how much to lean will become second nature anyway and you will find yourself doing them a little quicker.

4. Most problems start at the beginning, and in this case it seems to be true. You should be starting in the left wheel track (not the right as you have above) for a right hand bend, and also ending in the left wheel track too.

5. DONT look at the road , Look ahead of where your going a distance in front.
    I had same issue on my test trying to keep in the white lines on cornering, My lovely clever girl pointed out to the instructors I wasnt looking through the corner. Once pointed out I was fine, I find it help to look at the exit of the corner and not the corner. Thats way my bike ends up where its safe, rather than in the middle of a corner with no exit point.

6. I am sure there are arguments for both but here in QLD Q-ride does teach to keep in the right wheel track begining a right hand turn

7. :shock: :shock: What's the reasoning for that?

8. Indeed. I don't think there are aguments for both sides. Mouth is correct. Give yourself the widest approach you can. Why would you make the turn tighter than you need to, whilst risking sticking your head over the line into the path of oncomming trafic?

9. It could be so youve got more room before you run off the road, but if there was traffic nearby or it was a blind turn I would be in the left track for a right turn and vice versa

10. If its a bend you would be in the left track to start a right turn. If turing right at an intersection and may have to give way to oncoming traffic then you would be in the right wheel track to demonstrate that you are turning right for people behind if they do not see indicators and so that people continuing straight on from behind you can get around with out cutting closser to you than they would if you where in the left track. Thats what I was taught anyway.

If going fast and leaning hard through an intersection I can see is clear then I would start and finish in left track to keep my head on the correct side of the road.

11. sorry he did say bend and that would be starting in left track as taught by Q-ride when I went anyway

12. It's hard to remember what I do when I corner. I guess that means that I don't think about it alot when I ride.

I definately never make sure i'm in the left wheel track for a right-hander. That's insane! Too bad if there is a stick on the road and you need to stand the bike up in a hurry. You end up in the gravel and whatever else.

I've never seen anyone go down from being in the middle of the lane. You have to worry about oil etc. at traffic lights when cars are stationary and leak more.

13. I did once, cranked over for my favourite corner and saw a streak on the road; thought "I hope thats water" Diessel. Bloody 4wd owners operating beyond thier limits in tightening the fuel cap up.

WOund up on someones nature strip. Bars twisted and a few scrapes on the old CB. Hurt my back riding the rest of the way home with the twisted bars. That was it for injury.

Ahhh well its all learning.

14. I often find that if I look too far through a corner I tend to drift onto the wrong side of the road. What is best practice on a racetrack isn't necessarily so on the road, so I focus about 3/4 of the way through the corner to begin with and then look further as I get further through it... but definitely not looking "just" infront of the bike.

Never mind worrying about whether or not you're leaning far enough. You need to consciously and mindfully countersteer. If you're thinking about physically pushing the bar and steering through the corner you just might do it :)

As for staying in a wheel track... I wouldn't think that was best practice. The lane is a car length wide, why restrict yourself to a motorcycle width of space on the road? Start on the left, use the whole lane, dont cross the centre line. Don't worry about the "dangerous part of the road where the oil is".. There is no oil there. It's not dangerous. The greatest danger is you attempting to avoid an invisible evil and making a worse mistake.

15. Agreed.

Most oil is in the middle of a lane at traffic lights and intersections, where cars stop and drip oil.

If oil has been dumped on a normal corner, then it's likely it's going to be all over the lane anyway.

16. Interesting. Here in Victoria we're taught to start out wide at the entry to a bend/corner. That way you have a far greater view around the bend earlier.

17. Absolutely. The problem is that you should not be in the right wheel track , but the left one (in a right turn). Really, I think worrying excessively about oil on the road is going to create a bad habit. Ideally you should be staying wide as long as possible and then turning in across your lane, finishing the turn in the right wheel track.

18. Don't think anything different in QLD from VIC, I did Q-RIDE and was advised to keep wide on a corner than turn. I think the phrase they use was wide in narrow out.
    Interested to know which Q-RIDE centre it was?

19. Some good arguements here and I agree with the wide in, narrow out. There is another reason not to go too tight on a right hand bend - oncoming traffic. You are alot wider when you are leaning and you need to not have any part of yourself over the centre line.
    As mentioned the oil is an issue more at intersections when it is wet. Pull up in the right side of the righ wheel mark and put your left foot down (right foot should be on the brake) on the left side. Your boot will slip on wet oil (personal experience).

20. What is your reasoning for that statement?

Reasons against:
    I like to ride where I can be seen, which is out in the righthand wheel track.

If entering on the left of a roundabout it is possible that a vehicle might try and overtake, particularly when giving way.

Think of the points of impact in a roundabout and why/how roundabouts work. They work by forcing the traffic to move in the same direction.

We can use this moving in the same direction to out advantage.
    If, as Mouth suggested, you start from the LH wheel track, then cross to the right then back to the left when passing through a roundabout , then you have maximized the "impact angle" into another vehicle or them to into you. However if you start in the RH wheel track, move to the left then back to the RH wheel track then you have minimised the "impact angle". Instead of a T-bone, an impact, if it happens, is more of a side swipe.

But whatever you choose, you must look at your entry, apex and exit points. Take it a little slower at first. I briefly look at where I want to put the bike in any corner, as you still need to check the traffic on the road.
    The usual error is to look at how close the exit curb is, and then just avoid it, or not. Focus on where you want to go, not on the hazards ie potholes curbing etc.

And yeah, this is from someone who lowsided a ZZR600 in the left hand lane.existing a roundabout at 6.50am last Wednesday week. It was still dark and I didn't see the oil/diesel trail, that entered from my left into my lane. Second down in 25 years. S..t happens.