Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Damo from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by 666damo, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

As per protocol, I'd like to introduce myself.

Firstly a disclaimer: I am a new rider who comes from no motorcycle experience. I have a handful of friends that ride, but have never been immersed in the culture. Whether this gives me an advantage by not picking up on other people's bad habits is yet to be determined.

I have been thinking about riding for some years now, but only pulled my socks up in Nov / Dec last year. I booked the pre-learner course at St Ives and after getting a feel for sitting in the saddle, felt right at home. I remember the call came "last lap, then we pack the bikes up"
    All I could say was "aww man"
    I knew then that I had to see the license through and try riding out for the longer term.

After xmas, I bought a 2008 CB400A. I was originally looking at a GS500, VTR250, and a GPX250. Limited by my budget, I was not happy with these bikes. Luckily some things changed, and I was able to increase my budget. On the table were an ER6nl, a CB400 and after sitting on a few bikes decided on the CB400.

I bought mine privately after a ten minute test-ride. With a little under 15,000km on the clock, I believe I got her for a song.

I've been riding to work during the holiday traffic, and have found riding to be mostly pleasant save for a few soft-roaders / vans / suits in hatchbacks who like to sniff my rear fender.

I'm in the Ashfield area, so I'll attempt to meet up at Homebush on various weekends for learner coaching as per this thread. This weekend, however, I will likely be attending the putty ride per this thread. This will be dependent on weather, as I am not yet confident enough to ride in anything too slippery.

Anyway that's all I can think of at the moment, but let me know if you have any questions of me.

2. G'day Damo and welcome. Take it easy out there :)
  3. Welcome To NR Damo. See you at the Learners Ride this Sat or at Homebush sometime.
  4. don't do 45kmph n over in a 60 zone on the old pacific highway......there's your first bit of advice

welcome....develop a thick skin on here...everything turns into a debate unless it's about boobs - they're about the only think we can agree on.
  5. #5 666damo, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks guys,

Yeah, I like to twist the throttle as much as the next bloke, but I'm not a nutcase and I don't care to put anyone in danger, myself included. I haven't been booked yet (car), hope it continues that way, touch wood.

I have a strong opinion on driving styles, but won't go in to that here.
    I hope I have my head on right for riding.

: D

ninja edit: Forgot about boobs. I like boobs-- I hope this is the consensus here.
  6. Welcome indeed, Damo, I like your explanation of the journey so far...

I'm hoping to participate in the Saturday ride, too, so we should meet.
  7. Welcome. Great choice of bike.

Just remember, shiny side up.
  8. Hi Damo, I'm a bit new too and ride a 2009 CB400A as well. I've been on NR now for only two months but have already met up with some of the guys here and had a great day riding. Friendly guys and good riders who were happy to have a noob along(even though I'm sure I held them up!) I live in Haberfield so if you're ever up for a ride just PM me.
  9. #9 Rainbow7, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I'd like to welcome you, based on the fact that you seem to be literate and I also like your choice of a Weighted Companion Cube as an avatar, but your choice of username is unoriginal, tiresome, offensive and the sort of thing I'd expect from a 14 year old on PSN.

P.S. So, welcome to Netrider. You're here because we want the best and you're it. Nope, couldn't keep a straight face. Anyway, don't smudge up the glass down there. In fact, why don't you just go ahead and not touch anything unless it's test related.
  10. Really Rainbow? Youre offended? If three digits offend you you must get offended every time you leave the house or turn on the TV! And where does rainbow come from I wonder? Rainbow Brite? Or is it some sort of My Little Pony? I only just got through telling Damo that the people here were friendly and helpful and all you've got to add is to give a new member grief over his choice of username.
  11. Strangeways, I'm certain Rainbow is just joking. All in good humour. Besides, this is how you escalate a comment like that:

fagit !!!111oneoneone. n00b. lolzor.

But seriously, thanks for the welcome guys. Rubber-side down & keep smiling.
  12. WELCOME TO NR and the wonderful world on 2-Wheels! Looking forward to see in Ls sessions or the ride this Saturday.
  13. [​IMG]
  14. Booked in Saturday week (23rd) at St Ives for the pre-provisional course.
    Hopefully one last practice next Saturday at Homebush should have me sorted for the exam.
  15. Welcome mate.

I'm over in Dundas Valley next to Epping, so not that far from you. I moved here from Burwood where I was for 2 years so I know the area. Should catch up for a ride some time.

Friend of mine lives in Ashfield too and rides a VTR250. You might have seen him out and about.

I'll be hitting up the Homebush session this weekend so might see you there.

16. Once you start riding, you notice a lot of bikes. I'll keep an eye out for your friend and give 'em a wave.

See you at practice.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Damo,

Good to have you on board. You appear mature in your attitude which will means your bank account won't be depleted in making contributions to the Policemen's ball and you will remain healthy.

The best advise I can give you at this early stage is to take it easy, get as much experience as you can and find a good, experienced and confident rider to follow and mentor your riding skills on. There are a number of these people on netrider.

Once you get that basic experience which should be after around 6- 12 months, I recommend you invest in an advanced riding course. One I'd recommend is the Stay Upright Advanced 1. You'll ride away at the end of the day with a grin the size of Luna park.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Aww man, I scored 0 on the test; Then to add insult to injury, I get handed a pink participation award. Now I have to go back and do one of the post provisional courses next month.:p

Richard conducted my M.O.S.T. at St Ives today. He had to be one of the most relaxed blokes I've ever met, especially given the repetitive and otherwise mentally taxing nature of his job.
    We were done by ~1340, and I managed to get to Homebush in time to head off with the learners for a ride to Windsor Maccas.
  19. Good onya matie (y) .. post your good fortunes in the learner session thread :)