Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Damned untethered dogs!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Tylerdurden, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Ok, so I'm a newbie rider, only got 1000 odd k under the belt this time around. So I'm riding back from having the xvs650 in for it's first service and I'm not far from home, in a straight suburban st, when I see about 100m away a woman walking 2 dogs, appearing to be well behaved and on leashes. All good methinks. Not so. As I get to about 20? metres, the one at her right heel hears the bike and lunges out onto the road in front of me. No time to think. Full emergency stop, with a squiggle to the left so I didn't run over the top of it, which worked although I still hit it.
    Good things: I remembered the emerg. Stop stuff, which I do practice. I didn't lock up or skid. The dog wasn't seriously injured. I didn't assault the bimbo dog owner. I didn't drop the bike(it was close though, finished canted over to the left) and there was no one behind me to run up my backside. That 650 stops amazingly well when it has to. Bad stuff. I forgot to haul the clutch in and stalled. I didn't paint a worst case scenario in my head, so I was under prepared when it did happen. Dogs are unpredictable, I know this now. I was probably doing 60 in a 50 zone. Could have been a kid.
    Anyway, probably not much of an event for you experienced riders, but it scared the crap out of me and any complacency I was getting riding is now gone. To the newbies like me PRACTISE YOUR EMERGENCY STOPS!
    Cheers all

• Like Like x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Yes animals can be a problem. I had a sheep leap out of a culvert and head on a collision course. I felt its wool brush my boot as I passed it, that was scary.

Sounds you were good in recognizing the risk of the dogs but dismissed them too early as a danger. Kudos on a controlled emergency stop, as you say something we all need to practice regularly. And I am sure your were mistaken above on your speed and you were doing 50k in a 50k zone weren't you !!!!! We will forgive that typographical error :whistle:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Excellent.

Not that you hit a dog, but that you have learned some valuable lessons and know what to do better in future.

I've read a lot of other 'near miss' stories from learners who, due to their attitude are destined to repeat the 'near miss'. You sir, have learned and won't do it again. Well done.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Hi Tylerdurden.

You did well! :)

The squiggle to the left, try not to do that if the circumstances arise again.

If you are braking seriously hard, steering input is really not helping.

All other things being equal, your health and wellbeing is more important...... certainly to you.

One other comment, which was presented by one of the StayUpright Instructors, years ago, in an advanced road riding course, was:-

"If/when a collision with a reasonably small animal is inevitable, get off the brakes, and roll on the throttle."

The logic behind this comment is that, under brakes, your bike is at it's least stable and any impact could well have you on the deck, while, under acceleration, your bike is, for reasonable values of acceleration, at it's most stable, and can (probably) handle running over a dog, cat, goanna or possum.

If it's a bull that has magically appeared in front of you, all bets are off.

The above suggestion is presented without any moral judgement........
    I know it pisses me off when, in the dark, I avoid a "possum" only to see, as I pass, that it's a cat.

While on the topic of dogs and dog walkers, I really truly hate those walkers who have the big long thin bit of rope instead of a proper leash.

Until you are very close, you can't see this line, and so, have to assume that the dog is loose and not under control.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I ALWAYS assume the dog is off the leash or is about to be off the leash.

I ALWAYS assume that little child is going to run out in front of me.

I ALWAYS assume that that car parked on the side of the road is going to pull out in front of me without looking, especially if the left hand indicator is on.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. O goody,a chance to tell a story.Years ago a bought a dog leg brake lever for the bike,they come closer to the bar,good gadget.The next day I am approaching a Red light in my suburbs shopping strip and see a bunch of 16 year olds with a very big Rhodesian Ridge back with them.Out charges the dog very aggressively onto the road ,I need to either blow the light or stop and get bit.At the last moment I decide to brake,and the new lever has a different brake point and I lock up the front and down I go at walking pace.No substantial damage to me or the bike but did I abuse the crap out of these kids.So a month goes by and I am riding along and yep same kids same dog but no panic braking,bloody dog still off leach.You cannot stop dumb dick heads doing dumb stuff but I watch all dogs hard these days.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yes, I thought I was doing all that, but I was complacent , quiet street, no traffic, what could possibly go wrong? I reckon the whole incident took 4 seconds from the time I saw the dogs initially, to a complete halt, desperately trying to keep the bike upright. The decision making time was about 1 second. It's not much.
  8. Ah dogs. Haven't had to miss one like that but there was once this bastard of a bull terrier where my then g/f lived. It's main aim in life, it seemed, was to knock me off my bike by biting the tyres whenever I started the engine. Fcuking stupid thing! Then it decided one day to upgrade its assault and bite my ankle while about to pull off uphill on a cb900. Dunno how I stayed up, strong bastards those dogs!

Only time in my life I was happy to be wearing heavy duty army boots!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The beginnings of a good rider me thinks
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. #10 CraigA, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    My $0.02.........Some animals and animal owners for that matter, are quite stupid. In fact most of the population fall into that category, but I digress!

If you are put into a position where an animal has run out in front of you because its careless owner is completely oblivious to what is going on around it, I would avoid any movement which might cause you to become dislodged from your bike.

If that means after attempting to brake and then realizing you cant stop safely and avoid a collision, you need to pop the clutch to ride over the silly pet, then so be it, if it means you wont be on the ground and cursing the thousands of $$ in damage to you and your bike that trying to avoid the collision causes because of some careless animal lover walking around with their head up their arse.

After all, its not like the dog has third party insurance. Your going to be the one paying for the damage, so stuff them!

Call me an arsehole if you like, but you have to do what you have to do to keep yourself and your pride and joy from harm when someone wont take responsibility for their pet by keeping it on a lead on a public road to keep it out of harms way, creating a huge hazard in the meantime!

FWIW, this response may or may not have been influenced by several James Squire ales. Take it with a grain of salt!!
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. congrats on keeping it upright, & you will always remember your first clenched freckle :wacky:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I always try to run over the rabbits and cats. Power on. Keep it straight. Rarely connect, never a cat.

Dogs? I live in a small community and when I've spoken to the owners about their dog, I've usually been invited to give the dog a belting. "there's a stick over there you can use." I don't need the dog as an enemy, on top of the chase instinct, or "Just run over it" Yeah right. While I might be doing the community a favour, it is a valuable animal and not worth putting myself at risk over.

One that was suggested I belt, eventually got me, rather I got him (power on if it is inevitable) clipped him good with the left front fork (and left knee) and bent my shift lever back to where it was unusable. I didn't come off, but I had to turn around and ride home in 3rd so I could straighten the shift lever before going to work. The dog did not chase me again. They can learn.

Keep an eye on them. You never know what they are going to do, even if you think you "know" the dog.
  13. Yes, the unexpected... you did well to keep it upright...

Not long after I got back on a bike some years ago I was coming down from the Eagle On The Hill in the Adelaide Foothills and a Kangaroo jumped the road guard and landed just in front of me... I nearly p*ssed myself... jammed on the brakes and kind of flipped the bike around at the same time... it was a little GN 250, so it was light enough to do crazy stuff... as it hit the ground from its jump the kangaroo's legs couldn't grip and it slide along the road trying to get up... closest I have come from going straight through an animal at speed... it all happened so quick... it's amazing what you can do sometimes... if I had been on a bigger bike, the kangaroo and I would have got hurt bad.
  14. Thanks for all the input guys, the general consensus seems to be "if in doubt, run it over"! which I will keep in mind if it happens again. But my learning from this is be more alert and treat a semi quiet suburban st the same as I would a 4 lane highway. It was bad riding on my part, and I got out of it with no more than a scare. Lesson learnt.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. jstavajstava, if you feel bad for the valuable dog, perhaps you should use the stick on the dumb owner?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Beware of kangaroos, even if they are at the side of the road some distance away looking straight at you. They have bad timing and no sense of direction and can hop right at you at the very last moment. Not really a problem if it's a small animal and you're in a large car, but seriously bad when a large animal smashes into a passing motorcycle.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. The mass of the bike has quite a bit to do with it. Light bikes are much more "flickable" (MIGHT be able to avoid more easily) and more susceptible to the effect of an impact, than larger ones. To avoid going down by any means, the principles remain the same. Vigilance and preparation for the possibility of the animal getting in your way (reduce the speed), line changes and of course hard braking (in a straight line of course) if it comes to that. Where it is clear that this is not going to do, acceleration MAY help you, by stabilising the bike, (unloading the suspension, changing the weight distribution, improving the grip of your front wheel) but it is really last ditch stuff, weighing lots of variables including being in the right gear. That's not the stuff of heroes, more like self preservation, desperate measures.

There is nothing like early observation and anticipation, & speed reduction and giving as much space as is practical in preventing the worst in animal encounters.

Oh, and about kangaroos, particularly the larger Eastern Greys - they will always look in the direction they are going to go - look at the direction their head points. They will orientate that first, but how long does it take to turn a head? Not long. That's of no use at all with wallabies - they are just too quick, but the same principle would apply.

For practice, get out in the country, where the long paddocks are, and ride through mobs of sheep, then try cattle … LOL Look out for the bull$hit, it is slippery.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I once hit a large kangaroo with a car. Caught it in mid-leap at about 80km/hr. Hit the passenger - side windscreen and caved it in quite a bit. Glass everywhere through the car. Was still finding bits months later. The roo bounced off the screen and tumbled down the passenger side of the car, denting every single panel. My passenger was very relieved to not be nursing the windscreen and a large injured animal with a mean kick. That was an expensive weekend. I can't imagine repeating that experience on a motorcycle!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seriously I would find out where the owner lives and let the council know. For your sake first, kids on pushbikes second and for the poor stupid dog.
    Let the stupid dumb fcuk owner cop a fine...or better still threaten civil action against them for having an uncontrolled animal. When you ring the council get the name of who you are talking, their position etc and let them know that you are considering legal action... hey presto...several magic words later;)
  20. Well done and good to see a lesson learned. Be aware that the complacency thing also occurs at about 6,000 kms and 18 months.

Cheers Jeremy
    • Like Like x 1