Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Damn Zippers!

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Iondah, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Does anyone else have trouble with zippers?

Since owning a bike I have had the following zippers break:

- Both sleves on my winter jacket

- One leg of my Moto-dry pants

- One boot

The boot was the last straw. I really liked those boots and now they are basically useless.

Why do manufacturers insist on using the cheapest zips they can find when they are a clear point of failure?

2. These things are a pain, but can be fixed.

At the last bike show I went to, there was a woman repairing gear on an industrial sewing machine set up on the back of a ute!

You'd probably find that you can get your boot fixed, too, perhaps at a boot maker's.
  3. I had my boot zip beak too, Alpinestars, 2 days old :shock:
    rang the store and demanded a refund, sorry we dont do refunds, bring them in and we will look at them....
    My response was, sorry, I don't buy crap boots, and I don't want another pair of the same boots, and none of the others you have in stock are suitable. They insisted I bring them in so they could give them back to the rep.... and what was I to do in the meantime?
    Anyway, I took them back and demanded my refund, they refused a refund but offered to give them to the rep next time he was in if I didn't want another pair the same, so I promptly told them I was going to bad mouth their store online(here) for the world to see what poor after service they provide, they immediately contacted Monza imports who then instructed me to go to their wharehouse in Nth Melb for them to repair it on the spot or get another pair....They tried to repair it, but couldn't then it turns out the pair I bought were nolonger in stock,(probably cos they had lots of returns if the truth be known)
    so I got a different pair, more expensive and at no extra charge.
    I am happy with the end result, but not with the product, the boots have now split at the seems on the top after I slammed my ankle into the side of the engine when I got sideswiped(gently) in the tunnel heading down to WSBK in march, if they split under pressure from my foot tensing up, imagine how they would have fell apart if I actually came off :evil:
    Next time I'm getting TCS Oxtar boots, no zips, they have adjustable latch type closure thingos like ski boots, and are made of a tough poly type resin. twice the price, but worth it I believe.
  4. Talk to Katcando. She is a true master of the industrial sewing machine!!
  5. Never broken a zip! ...touch... laminate :)
  6. Here's a tip.

If you lube your new zips with a bit of silicone spray or even candle wax before you start using them, they will last far longer and be less likely to fail in use.
    Makes them much easier to use too.

Try it.
  7. Nope, only problem is... damn thing keeps scratching up my tank :cry: