Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

DAMN , low sided my bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by NXTNL9, Feb 10, 2008.

1. hey guys,
    today i had my first off with the bike! It really made me think about the way i ride , also learnt a very good lesson from it , dont enter corners above my limit!
    i didnt really hurt myself , only a lil scratch on the ankle from the peg.

anyways wat happen is..
    i was riding the black spur today, i entered the right hand corner at a certain speed realising it was a bit too much for me to handle, i panicked and hit the brakes to slow down , didnt skid or nuthing but it kept the bike uprgiht and i went off the road and hit the gravel and low sided the bike on its right side . luckily the bike slid under me kind off and while i was sliding on my feet i was watching the bike slide too. Neways after it i just quickly picked up the bike but it up on the stand checked it and it started up fine. i recieved a few lil scratches on the ankle, lucky i didnt put no marks on my new leather joe rocket jacket which i bought yesterday! The bike has a few extra gravel grazes on the right hand ride which already had scratches from the old owner! no broken bits which was quite amazing ! then i hoped back on and took it easy on the spur not going above my limit!
    im glad that i had this off without hurting myself as it really put me in a confidance check!
  2. Yeah, I always say that too :p

Glad to hear you're ok. Have a closer look at the bike though. The last time I low-sided mine, I bent my front wheel. God knows how I managed that :? Didn't even notice it at first. I found out when I got it up to 110 kph, and it wasn't pleasant.
  3. Lucky for no immediate damage, however, damn lucky.

And it really is a wake up call when you have an off.
  4. Glad to hear you got out of it OK.

When i done the superbike school they basically told us if you find yourself to fast in a corner one of the worst things you can do is brake. They said trust your tyres, "If in doubt, Gas it out".

Of coarse if you are going WAY to fast this wont work, but i have been supprised at just how well my tyres hold (Pilotroad2), and the average rider (ME) doesn't use the tyres anywhere near there potential therefore i should have something up my sleave if i need to lean that bit more. (fingers crossed)

It is however very hard to convince your brain that this is the correct thing to do, so more practice and a track day helps heaps.

5. A low side that ends up with a few scratches says to me you probably had way more bike available to get you around.

Bugger about that.

Good to hear you're ok.

Soooooo, what are you going to do differently next time? And what aspects of your riding and cornering skills let you down??

(I'm not being an arse, just trying to get you thinking about your riding so that you take the lessons from this near miss)
  6. Mate thats not the lesson at all. You will sometimes just not judge the corner properly and end up going in too hot - going in too hot is imo avoidable 100% of the time. The lesson you need to learn is that when you do go in to hot, don't panic and grab the brakes. Instead you need to concentrate on looking where you are going and lean off the bike a bit more. A small amount of back brake can help you wipe of a bit of speed so that its easier to handle.

If you realise you go in to hot, braking hard is the last thing you should be doing!
  7. That's rotten mate. Sorry to hear about the stack. Glad to hear you came out of it Ok - good thing it was a righty and not a leftie! As long as you take something away from the experience it's useful I guess.

Did something similar yesterday near Cape Shanck on the Peninsula... came in to a 30 recommended too hot, paniced, locked up, got target-fixated, then fortunately came to my senses and relaxed and completed the turn, without putting the bike down or running into on-coming traffic. :oops:
  8. well, next tym "IF" i get too hot in a corner ill definately concentrate and trust my tyres abilitys and lean over more and concentrate on the exit and resist the brakes ! thanks for the tips!
  9. woops!...you hit the brakes too hard. Not to worry, as it won't be the last time. Glad you did'nt get hurt. :)

Others have said stay off the brakes, and concentrate on going where you want to go by turning more and aqdjusting your body position. And that's the right advice.

But just to take it a step further...It IS quite possible to brake through a corner while you are turning in more, provided you use the brakes gently.
    This might be more of an advanced tecknique than you are used to hearing, but frankly...sometimes, just turning in may not be enough if you cooked it too much.

It's a matter of just "dragging" the brakes enough to ease off your speed while still turning. It is a fine balance, but if you can master it, it will be an additional tool in your bag of tricks.

I would suggest a casual ride through the spur again, and try dragging your brakes a little....get a feel for how that effects the bike, so that you will be used to it, should you need to do it for real...the bike will want to stand up and go straighter if you over do it. If you don't you will feel a slight pressure on the bars, which you counter with a little more force, to keep the bike on it's line or a little sharper.

Not sure of your experience level, so this might be a little too advanced. If so, save it for further into your riding career, and in the meantime, try to overcome the SR (Survival Reaction) that desperately wants you to hitt the brakes, and try instead to just sharpen your turn and trust in your bike/tyres.