Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Damaged bike frame

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Zerby, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Hyo GT250R and the particular one I'm looking at right now has an asking price is well below what I would expect, at least a grand under what they could get for it.

First thought was they are either desperate to get rid of it and is a genuinely good deal or there's something wrong. On closer look at the pictures there seems to be some damage to the frame just below the tank.

I haven't seen the bike in person yet but will obviously check it out before I put down any cash on it, but any suggestions what I should do or look out for. My guess is if it's had an impact big enough to dent/bend the frame then there might be other damage I can't see?

I'm new to bikes so any suggestions will be helpful.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Keep looking. Its probably a write off

3. Dude, I also see the tank has a massive dent in it. And yes, the frame looks well damaged.

Depending on how badly this bike was biffed its probably got more issues you can sort out as someone who is new to bikes.

If I were you Id keep looking and stay away from this. I know people starting out want to spend as little as possible but a damaged frame is the LAST thing you want to take a chance with...

And besides all, it's a f****ijng hyosung. Try a ninja 250 or a CBR 250 or a vtr 250. If you buy a kawsaki, you get angels in heaven when you die. Lol

4. Cheers for the advice, I'll definitely take a fine tooth comb over it before I commit but first impression isn't good.

AFAIK that's just the shape of the tank...

True...I'm not going anywhere near a bike that's not near perfect, hence me asking if the frame damage is a big deal or not.

Hahaha of course someone was going to say it...Like you said, I'm a new rider and trying to save $$$, so I don't mind riding a Hyo until my time is up and I can get a real toy.

5. Yes a damaged frame is a big deal. Because you have very little means to find out if the frame is bent or if it is just a cosmetic damage. If the frame is bent, you have a bike with ****ed up steering geometry and should probably be a write off..

And if that is the actual shape of the tank it's pretty weird. It looks like it was biffed lol.

6. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

7. Good point...I guess it's cheap for a reason. I think I'll tip toe around this one. You get what you pay for and I don't want a dud that's for sure.

8. Yup plenty of bikes on sale atm. The market is slow and not much is selling so keep looking.

:)

9. The forks are probably bent too if its taken a big hit. The bike may be unstable at speed and there maybe cracks in another part of the frame. Do a Wheelie with a hard landing and who knows. Cheap can be for the wrong reason. If its too good to be true chances are, its too good to be true. By trying to save money may cost you even more. Maybe more than just money... be careful and inspect everything with q fine tooth comb if you have to.. good luck.

10. Walk away.

11. +1

If it feels wrong or off - then walk away. Plenty more bikes out there.

Don't just zero in on this one and think "she'll be right". :)

Sent via iPhone

12. Don't waste any more time on this bike, move on and find another

13. Dented frame can mean a host of issues ranging from poor handling through to bike being unraodworthy and therefore not registerable. Nut this is all pretty minor compared to the reall issue here.

It's a Hyo. Walk away. :LOL: