Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Dam Council Trespassers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Dec 29, 2006.

1. They allowed to come onto your property when no ones home & chop ya dam trees down?

We got a number of big trees in front/backyard. Got home after work & didnt even notice someting
    was amis until I got the front door & see this notice stuck to the front door.

With recent winds one of the big branches broke off taking down branches for other trees as it came
    down. I left em all where they dropped & this w/end was going to use the chainsaw, taking em out
    the back for firewood.

Anyway, read it, then turned around to see the whole bloody tree had been taken down with phat
    arse stump left sticking outta the ground. :evil:

Walked across road to neighbours. She said cheery picker truck came round lunchtime with 2nd truck
    towing the industrial tree mucher.

Rest of family were out all day & still out when I got home. Not friggen happy at all. :blackeye:

Letter said they decided to chop the tree down because it was dead & rotting. Like phuc it was. :mad:

Now I'm going to ring the pricks after the holidays & get em to come back & take out the dam stump
    they left behind.

They've come here before but only to remove what was required to keep the power lines clear.

*Rant over*

2. Just wait until they try to slug you for the cost of the tree removal....
  3. Hey, at least they didn't actually enter your house! My mother lives in a small country town where people don't lock their doors, and she came home to find a council building inspector inside the house :? He was "looking for the barn they submitted an application for." :roll:

Edit - The exact same situation as yours happened to friends of ours as well, they were not impressed either.
  4. Our council does spraying every year for fruit fly etc.
    We got home from Melb in Sept to find the tree in front yard with
    orange ties to it & a note saying its been sprayed.

Can understand if its a fruit tree, but its not. :?
  5. Not being an arborist (assume your not a tree doctor) you might not know if the tree was a danger to your or your neighbours property.

Councils don't take threats to their or other ratepayers property lightly, after all if the tree did fall and damage your house you'd probably rant about that as well.

I'll be interested to see if a bill for the removal turns up as you didn't authorise the work to be undertaken on what we assume is your property

The tree wasn't on an easement within your property was it??

If you do end up with a bill in the mail contact the council first followed by the local area newspapers as they thrive on these sort of local issues.
  6. Don't they?

A mate lives in an estate where there are covenants on the properties that the "native" gum trees cannot be chopped down without council permission.

Anyway, one of them looked ominous with a huge branch sticking out over to the neighbor's property and above the house next door. So, he asked if he could trim it back or cut it down. Nope, came the council's response.

Guess what - a few months later it did it all by itself, through the neighbor's roof and all. Luckily, if you can call it that, it "only" smashed through the garage. Still caused a lot of damage, though.

Dunno what the outcome was. Firstly, I'd be suing the council and the stupid prick who denied the permit to cut the branch/tree down.
  7. A lady in Nowra and her husband spent several years trying to get Shoalhaven Council to remove a large and dangerous tree. They refused.

The tree fell and killed the husband. She sued the Council. She lost.......
  8. You lot keep voting in greenie councillors, they make the policy the council workers apply :roll:

I can understand why they have bans on tree lopping but a healthy dose of reality could help them sometimes.

If a tree is a problem get an independant arborist to assess it's danger level and use that against the council, playing their game and beating them that way is more satisfying anyway :wink:

To beat a public servant you've got to think like one, being a now former member of the PS I would find it a challenge :wink:
  9. Hmm. What's the emoticon for "biting one's tongue", I wonder....
  10. Hmm...

We call our council every year because our neighbours (a vacant block of land) never slash their overgrowth. Every year the council sends them a letter, doesn't receive a reply, sends another one and finally levels the block themselves, sending the land-owners the bill.

There was actually a fire on that block this year and it burnt some of our fence and our walnut tree. :evil:
  11. Maintenance includes management of flora, whether on your property or towering over it.
    As long as your neighbours agree - go ahead and do it. Then deny everything.

Red tape has cost a lot of people property and money post-storm/high winds - due to conservation BS.

Screw that.
    We had a tree in our neighbours yard that was growing through the fence. They wouldn't do anything about it, the council wouldn't do anything about it. As soon as enough of it was on our property - we drilled a hole and poured ZERO right into the trunk.

Killed it in 2 days, the tree stayed put and we got the fence repaired around it -s ecure in the knowledge the tree wouldn't continue to do damage.

At our new house here, mum rang the council about these 2 enormous gum trees on the front nature strip. A friend of ours had said they thought they were dead.
    Council say they'll check it out and evaluate the trees.

Next afternoon, we get home & both trees are just gone :shock:

Was incredible 'cause these things were massive. They couldn't have transported them in one piece out of the street because they would have been too tall to get around a bend in the road without taking out a house.